Powder coating saw parts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7oaks

DRUGSTORE LOGGER
Reaction score
Have any of you saw restorers been using powder coating? I've done a search and found only one thread (2003) which didn't provide a lot of info.

Has anyone used the cheap Harbor Freight system:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94244

How about the the Eastwood system? It is more expensive but seems to have more available colors and a better built gun:

http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powder-coating.html

Here is a link to a web blog about powder coating that seems to be very informative:

http://powdercoatingbeginners.blogspot.com/2008/08/powder-coating-equipment-for-beginners.html

But back to my question - have any of you been using one of these systems to powder coat your chainsaws? Does it work on mag body parts?

wheels?

I've read an ad for powdercoating mag and alum wheels...

so Should be able to do chainsaws...

what parts would need protection to NOT get coated?

I have used the harbor frieght on at my school. It seems to work good for the price.

Last edited:
It is not a problem to get the coating to stick on magnesium ,i have now had two saws powder coated and it seems to be good. I had them send away to a powder coater company.You mite already have seen it.As you see its not standard color`s

porting-bb030.jpg

stihl-064-bb124.jpg

Been powder coating saw parts of different sorts for about a year, no problems. High temp powder does a good job on mufflers too.

i wasn't thinking about powder coating when i posted my earlier post. :monkey:

I bought a kit but have no oven yet so I still haven't tried it. You have to remember that the powder melts between 400-450°. with the exception of your cylinder and muffler, no part of your saw will get anywhere near that hot. They do have even higher temp powders for exaust manigolds but I've sen them get mixed reviews.

I bought a kit but have no oven yet so I still haven't tried it. You have to remember that the powder melts between 400-450°. with the exception of your cylinder and muffler, no part of your saw will get anywhere near that hot. They do have even higher temp powders for exaust manigolds but I've sen them get mixed reviews.

I have a small/old toaster oven that goes to 500 degrees and was thinking of using that to experiment with some smaller parts. We were going to dispose of it anyway. What do you think?

You can back powder in a toaster oven. Best to heat the oven up first and keep the part well away from the elements or shield it to get as even a heat as possible.

A clean work space is importaint to get a good finish, 50,000 volts has a way of picking up any crap floading in the air and draw it into the finish.

I picked up one of the mid range units, 25-50kv, $350 or so pretty basic, but works just fine, about the biggest part I have done are tuned pipes. Beats the heck out of cans of high temp spray paint.

should be fine, (you'll never be able to use it for food again though) So you know, I haven't done any powder coating yet, so everything I'm telling you is what I've read. You need to be able to calibrate the oven with another thermometer to ensure you're at the heat you think you are. I got my kit from Eastwood for a little over $200 including shipping and extra powder. I like it better than the HF model. Also, came a powder coating handbook that was very informative. The problem for me is locating a toaster oven that's large enough. I'll be doing all the work here in the machine shop but we don't have single phase 220 and a regular oven control may not be able to run off the 220 3 phase we have....

Latest posts

Back