Powder coating saw parts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can back powder in a toaster oven. Best to heat the oven up first and keep the part well away from the elements or shield it to get as even a heat as possible.

A clean work space is importaint to get a good finish, 50,000 volts has a way of picking up any crap floading in the air and draw it into the finish.

I picked up one of the mid range units, 25-50kv, $350 or so pretty basic, but works just fine, about the biggest part I have done are tuned pipes. Beats the heck out of cans of high temp spray paint.

do you have a link to where I can get the high heat powder? What does it flow out at? I can't imagine you need to heat it to the temp it'll see in service, so am I to assume after it cures it, flow out temp is different?

Last edited:
I have a bit, but there are lots of different types of powder, some are not compatible and make a real mess as the two powders can mix like oil and water.

Powder Coating

Fellas,i myself have given some thought to getting a powder coating system.It will either be that or compressor and spray gun as a few have used on the Pioneer thread.
But as far as the powder coating goes of which I do not know anything about, except from what I have read here,I may have an idea for you.I am sure where you fellas live they have many restaurant,bakery,food service auctions.You might want to check those out for different size ovens.Also used appliance stores for ovens.Just a thought.
Lawrence

Columbia coatings is a good source.Been using them for years.He'll also mix custom colors without having to buy 50lbs.

Remember it's the part temp not the oven. Cure time starts when the part has reached correct temp.Each powder will have different cure times and temps.

Get yourself one of the little pistol type laser temp thingies.................

Oh yeah remeber if you screw up in PC it's a royal pain to strip.............

http://www.angelfire.com/vamp2/powdercoatva/

Last edited:
From my real work in fire protection, the argument that a gas oven can ignite flamable vapors more so than a electric oven is likely not the reason. An electric oven though there is no open flame, has sufficient heat energy to ignite a flamable mixture. Actually a gas oven may do a better job of preventing buildup of flamable vapors as it is pulling more air changes through the oven and would be constantly burning a bit of any flamable gasses as they are off-gassed from the part.

The risk is likely that a small propane or natural gas woof from a failed or delayed pilot light igniting would blow the powder off the part and cause a secondary much more powerfull dust explosion. It's the dust cloud explosion that is the dangerous part of powder coating.

There are gas fired powder coat ovens, maybe they have additional safety features? Don't know, never looked into them. I'l likely build an electric oven at some point be nice to be able to do something as large as a bike frame.

Last edited:
Okay here's silly but sincere question:

I have a propane stove that we don't use for cooking. Would it be dangerous to use it as a Powder Coating oven?

It'll work fine.One of my big walkins is propane fired.

Just some simple rules to follow.

#1 Never shoot a part in the oven
#2 See number 1.

Not too hard.

Powder will flash ignite when airborn.
It's really neat to have a part hanging and you get the gun too close and it arcs.Big flash !!
Scares the crap outa' ya' only burns for a few seconds though.

This weekend I'm doing some old mac parts for a friend.
While I'm loaded with yellow and anybody else has some to shoot I'll be glad to add them in.

It'll work fine.One of my big walkins is propane fired.

Just some simple rules to follow.

#1 Never shoot a part in the oven
#2 See number 1.

Not too hard.

Powder will flash ignite when airborn.
It's really neat to have a part hanging and you get the gun too close and it arcs.Big flash !!
Scares the crap outa' ya' only burns for a few seconds though.

Great! I'm getting excited, now all I need to do is purchase the PC equip and find the parts I wanna practice on.

Thanks SB and all the rest who have stopped by to give advice.

Latest posts

Back