Price of saws back in the day?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I moved to southern Indiana in the spring of 1977 fresh out of Western Ill. U. I lived in the city all my life and knew nothing about chainsaws, firewood or cutting trees. But I learned. I inherited some little Homelite, I don't remember the model. Its a wonder I didn't kill myself. That saw never ran wright.
A fella was logging down the road I didn't know him but he came by one Saturday and watched me try to cut something, what a joke. Well he pulled a new Husky L65 of his log truck and said try this. Wow! I couldn't believe it. Well this nice stranger said keep it for the weekend. Wow! Again.
I told my wife to take that Homelite and trade it in on one of these Huskys on Monday morning. I think the price was around $540. My neighbor ,who also bought one at the same time, still has his receipt and his saw, as do I.
That L65 was my only saw until about 1991 when my wife wanted a saw she could run so I bought a Husky41. I thought all Huskies were of the same quality as a 65. Ha Ha. That was when I started working on my own saws. But through all those years I never had to do much to the old 65.
That nice logger is still a friend and I worked on one of his saws the other day. The following year, I was wanting a tractor but was still broke. My wife says why don't you sell a few trees and get a tractor I just laughed. Well I ended up swapping ,Larry the logger, a walnut tree and a thousand dollar that I got from another great veneer walnut for a tractor.
The tractor was a Ford 801 Select-O-Speed four wheel drive,with loader,1960 model. A fairly rare tractor. It's still my only tractor and I drag logs with it still. It will lift a 16' Poplar log that is 24" at the little end. Now I have lots of saws, a nice wood shop, about 4 thousand board feet of dried hardwood in the barn and am retired and in good health. Life is good.

You will find lots of vintage price lists in this thread.

http://www.arboristsite.com/stickies/212020.htm

ScannedImage.jpg

That Saw would be $1,878.72 if you bought it new today in 2012 4 weeks ago
that how much money was at 1962 $249.75 was no joke. I guess the saw is older but had to get an idea.

Latest posts

Back