Processor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Edwards

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I had to get out of the tree biz due to a heart attack. I have been working with my wife answering the phones and running errands. I am bored out of my mind. I am considering getting a processor so I can do it by myself but the scale here is smaller than up north. I am looking for a used unit. I don't want to wish I had got a larger or better unit. Last year I sold about 60 face cords and could probably do more but I need to be set up and market it different than I have in the past. I am looking for advise tips and a (used processor) , any help I would appreciate. Thanks.

It sounds like you are seeking a mythical beast, sort of like a unicorn or a liger. It would be nice to have one, but they are not really out there.:)

Processors are too out there. i paid ~18000 or so for it 4 years ago and can barely get ahead cutting over 700 rick per year.

if you do go ahead and buy one, make sure you have all the necessary equiptment to handle the logs with and make sure you have wood lined out to process.... if you contract for XXX amount of cords and your logger gets all of his equiptment reposessed, ya better have a back up plan. ask me how i know.

oh and dont depend on a logger. AT ALL. i dont care if he's your brother, he'll lie to you face over and over again, bring you short loads and charge you full price.

Here is how I have my System.
I have a PTO Driven Buss Saw, that is parked long side a PTO Driven Grain/Bale Elevator, so that the blocks fall into the Elevator from the Buss Saw. From the Elevator, the Cut Blocks then fall into a Pile. I use my Loader Tractor to pick up the 4' pieces of wood, from the stack of wood, and carry the wood to the Buss Saw, to be blocked into lengths.

I know that the way I was cutting my wood, was not the handiest way to do it, but it's very inexpensive. I only had to buy the Buss Saw, and it cost me under $1000.00. The Tractors, and Grain/Bale Elevator, I already had to run my Farm.
When our Bush was logged through the winter, there was over 40 trees fell out into the Fields that surrounded the Bush. I had to get the Fields cleared for Spring Planting, so I was in a hurry, and I cut most of the Tree Tops into 4' lengths, and piled the 4' lengths onto a pair of 3" x 4" rails, to keep the wood up off the ground, and was able to pick up the wood with the Tractor, and Loader, with the Manure Bucket, with no troubles.
Once in a while, I had to sort out the pieces, because as I lifted up a load, some pieces went in different directions in the pile.
Mostly now I cut the wood into proper lengths with the Chain Saw, but Planning on getting a lot of wood out of the Bush in 4" lengths later on in the fall. I found that the Buss Saw was faster to cut with then the Chain Saw. Bruce.

Dang look at that herd of unicorns!:jawdrop: Thanks Guys!

My point being that even a used processor is going to be very spendy and 60 face cords isn't going to come even close to making any financial sense. In the Northeast where cord wood prices are much higher than the warmer south, I figured I would have to sell 100 full cords just to break even every year.

The math makes it a mythical unicorn or maybe a pipe dream if you prefer.

Processors need huge amounts of wood and support equipment to make sense and more importantly, to make money.

Look at all of the equipment in their pics. 700 ricks and barely getting by.

Last edited:
Look at all of the equipment in their pics. 700 ricks and barely getting by.

you got that right. Dont let anyone tell ya that processing wood is easy. Granted, yes i can do 4 rick an hour vs 1 rick an hour by hand, but you have to factor in nearly 40-45% of the profit goes to pulp wood if you buy the material. and if you cut your own logs, you double your hours that you have in a load, of say, 4 cord. then you also have to have a skidder, and keep it full of fuel. Needless to say how dangerous this occupation is.

Only thing that keeps me afloat is the fact that i'm single and still living at home. (I'm 18 btw) the 200 + cord per year that i cut makes my payments and buys my fuel and still have a decent cash flow to build an antique truck or car.

So... anybody wanna buy a slighty used firewood processor, conveyor, two log loaders, tree harvester skidder, and a international 10 wheeler dump truck? I'd let her go for a special deal price :D:laugh: (Tractor has to stay, it was my Great Grandpas ;))

I know Husky, I wasn't trying to be an ass , just kidding with ya ( I am very sarcastic) Gets me in trouble alot. I am looking at this as something I could grow and if it would pay for itself in a few years that would be OK. I see this firewood thing becoming alot bigger. People around here used to let you cut on their land amytime you wanted, now days the big farm is sold and split up and the new owner (from the city usually) isn't as neighbor friendly as in the past. He would rather you weren't on his land making a mess and leaving brush form him to deal with. I am not knocking these people only saying this is where it is now. I have a TW5 and although it is the best splitter I have ever used ,there is still too much work in it for me. I have loaders and other equipment and access to about anything I need. I am on the main route for in my area so I get alot of exposure to customers. I don't have to rely on this to live . But you know after being in the tree biz for over 20 years and saw milling before that I like WOOD!

Last edited:
Looking at the same issues

This is the first post I have made on this site and I am looking at the same issues of being somewhat disabled but still needing something to make a few bucks with. Living in the northeast makes firewood processing a logical choice. I have been researching wood splitters/processors and find that the processors are out of reach on a financial scale and unrealistic on a process scale until a substantial client base is built and adequate supply of wood is established. So, I have narrowed my situation down to a commercial splitter with a conveyor on the end. Should give me the ability to produce a substantial number of cords without having to invest and arm and leg (under 8,000). With the price of a cord at $250 here and truckloads of hardwood going in the $1200 range I think that gives me enough margin to make a buck without killing myself. :help:
The splitter is a Timberwolf TW5 (new base price around $5200) with hydraulic lift $650 and a conveyor. WADA YA THINK

Even processors involve some heavy work. Mine is a sit down machine - Built Rite SCP 30. Although it is generally easy to run logs do get jammed and need to be unjammed with force/conveyors get jammed. Waste need to be removed from around the conveyor. Unless you have big wheel loader or skid steer the wood still has to get into the truck to get delivered. My point is that you can make every effort to take the labour out of making firewood but there is still going to be a fair amount of manual labour involved in the process.

Even processors involve some heavy work. Mine is a sit down machine - Built Rite SCP 30. Although it is generally easy to run logs do get jammed and need to be unjammed with force/conveyors get jammed. Waste need to be removed from around the conveyor. Unless you have big wheel loader or skid steer the wood still has to get into the truck to get delivered. My point is that you can make every effort to take the labour out of making firewood but there is still going to be a fair amount of manual labour involved in the process.

not necessarly. The conveyor puts the wood in the truck. yes, you have to clean out from around the machine every 5 cord or so but a pitchfork and that job is compleated in about 10 minutes.

i have my logs delivered, i unload the semi with a knuckle boom, i load the processor with the knuckle boom, i cut the wood with the processor, i load the wood with the conveyor, i haul the wood with a truck, and unload it with a dump bed. I hardly every touch a stick of wood.

As for getting a piece jammed in the wedge, ya just got to make sure you have enought balls to push it all the way before you start ;)

you got that right. Dont let anyone tell ya that processing wood is easy.

Only thing that keeps me afloat is the fact that i'm single and still living at home. (I'm 18 btw) the 200 + cord per year that i cut makes my payments and buys my fuel and still have a decent cash flow to build an antique truck or car.

So... anybody wanna buy a slighty used firewood processor, conveyor, two log loaders, tree harvester skidder, and a international 10 wheeler dump truck? I'd let her go for a special deal price :D:laugh: (Tractor has to stay, it was my Great Grandpas ;))

Kind of contradicting youself are you not ?? Firewood is hard work for not a lot of money. See how you feel in 15-20 years when you have a few more years of work under your belt and a few more miles on your body.

Kind of contradicting youself are you not ?? Firewood is hard work for not a lot of money. See how you feel in 15-20 years when you have a few more years of work under your belt and a few more miles on your body.

when i said it wasnt easy, i meant it wasnt easy to make a profit. expcially considering that your operating 50k dollars worth of equimpent to make 30 dollars an hour. Thats alot of overhead. Then factor in over 75% of the income for materials (wood, fuel, oil, upkeep, etc)

Get a few more years of cuttin firewood under your belt before you try correcting me ;)

You posted that you sell 200 cord per year @ 135 per cord and your cost is 75% of your gross. That leaves you with less than 7 grand in profit.

If you didn't live at home you might find it hard to get by on 7000 dollars per year. I am sure at 18 you must have many years of business experience but you might want to look at ways to improve your bottom line just a tad.

I think you have proven my point that firewood is a lot of work for not much profit - enough said.

Back