Project: Old Mickey

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well earlier this spring I picked up an old splitter off an old fisherman. I paid $300, I figure it had some working parts so it was a good deal. After looking at it closer I realized it was going to be a work in progress. My goal for now it to get it running and then slowly rebuild/replace most of the parts. I'm calling it Old Mickey because the thing is old and lets face it most of it is pretty Mickey Moused together..

The day I picked it up..

img3654d.jpg

So last week I got a to good to pass up deal on an 11 HP Honda,, Today I realized why the deal was so good. The guy said it hadn't been used much which I believe, but what he forgot to mention was the fact that it had been sitting outside for who know's how long. 1st thing I checked the oil. seemed clean until I saw the milk come following out. Basically this thing was full of water, air filter was rusted beyond use, intake was full of sluge, the throttle plate in the crab was actually siezed because one of the screws holding the butterfly rusted so bad is siezed it!

Luckily for me I have an awsome neighbour, best guy ever who just happens to have 6-7 Honda's and a boat load of parts. I must have gone over there 6 times today either to look at his and compare or to get parts. All together I got a brand new Muffler and shield, and slightly use exhuast manifold and gasket, a new Carb and 2 exhaust studs. He's got so much more over there too, and he wouldn't take any $$ for it (I owe this guy some serious beer).

Anyway I got it running still having a hard time with the idle/throttle.. it seems to be pinned wide open all the time? anyone have any ideas?

here's some pics

imgp2702t.jpg

imgp2709.jpg

imgp2704.jpg

imgp2705.jpg

imgp2707.jpg

Last edited:
It is awesome to have a neighbor like that! :clap: And for the neighbor :cheers:

your telling me.. I gets better.. he's got a machine shop setup in his garage. Has a 3/4 ton and a dump trailer, tractor, Backhoe and a Dozer. I think he should be up for best neighbor of the year award!

Sounds like your missing a spring from the govenor to the throttle arm if it's running wide open?? Did you do a search for a honda manual online and check for a schematic to see if you got it right... Or go ask the neighbor.....lol

Sounds like your missing a spring from the govenor to the throttle arm if it's running wide open?? Did you do a search for a honda manual online and check for a schematic to see if you got it right... Or go ask the neighbor.....lol

All the springs look fine to me. I think I might have put the arm on the govenor on wrong but it's pretty straight forward. IS the throttle supposed to be wide open on start-up?

I've been looking for manuals online but haven't found one yet. I've found a few site's that have them but they all need memberships.

Sure beat up that truck loading the splitter....:greenchainsaw:

Well I re-set the govenor arm twice last night and got the same result (wide-open throttle) So I figured I'd pop the crankcase cover off and check to make the internal of the govenor where working. So off goes that cover and of course everything looked fine. So back over to my neighbors house to take a peek at the manual. Manual ended up being no help becuase it was actually for the EG models which are basically the same but it was still no help. I asked to go look at one of his in his Shed. It was pouring down pretty hard and he said that he thought there was 1 here in his garage. He goes under his stairs makes some noises and comes out with a 13HP GX390.. we look it over everything seems identical to mine. Then he looks at me and says, this has been under there for about 6 years.. thinking it'll start?.. opens the gas tank, it's full of 6 Yr old gas,, he says screw it 3 pulls later it was purring like a kitten. I'm glad I bought a Honda!.. just hope I can get mine running.

IT'S ALIVE!!!.. slapped her back together tonight, fired it up and no more Full throttle. It ran like crap at 1st, serging up and down and stalling. Thought to myself oh great now what? I was just about to take the carp off and check/clean it when I figured maybe I should check the gas tank 1st.. and BINGO empty.. easy fix.. I like easy fixes..

ANyway now with the engine running I need to figure out where I want it and the postion of the pump. For now I'll be using the single stage with plans of going 2-stage next year. I was thinking kinda something like this.

imgp2815q.jpg

imgp2816f.jpg

But I'm not to crazy about having the engine sticl out past the base. I'm worried it might hit things when it gets moved around. Which made me think about moving or replacing the Hyd. res. I have a nice 13 Gallon air tank that's never been used, But I think 13 Gallon might be abit much.

Then there's all this Mickey Mouse crap I gotta fix.

imgp2817.jpg

imgp2818.jpg

I'm playing around with the idea of using this double valve incase I ever build a log lift.

imgp2819.jpg

ANyone have any ideas?

went checked out that new beam today.. Ha.. funny.. the guy was using it under a bridge for the last 6 years.. Looked more like a U then an I beam..I thnk I'll just stick with the one I have and cut everything off of it.

Oh crap - I see now. That is a cylinder from a loader bucket. Pivots in the middle.

What the heck, ya got a beam (looks a little on the light side, but eh.), ya got the wedge, you got the engine, pump (albeit, maybe not the best choice), valve body and engine. Strip it down and build it like it should have been. It will probably be a very serviceable splitter when you are done.:cheers:

Yeah I think I'm just going to use what I have and just strip it and rebuild. I'm going to cut the wedge off and put it on straight, completely redo the mount for the cylinder and move the valve to a more comfortable postion. I have tomorrow off and I'm heading into town to pick up some steel and maybe some fittings for the hydraulics..

I went to the freindly neigbourhood Neighbour store today and got a wicked deal on some parts!! FREE!! I swear going over there is like visiting my parents evertime I leave I have a arm load of stuff.. except the stuff over there is useful and not a box of my old comic books..

He gave me a couple hyd. lines, some new fitting so I could try them and then buy more all the same. I Homebuilt mount for my Honda and best of all a Vickers pump with a pressure gauge!.. not sure how big it is but I might see if I can find a part # on it..

does that look like a 2 stage pump?

imgp2821f.jpg

Hmmm...I don't think so, but the numbers will tell the truth. If it is NOT a 2 stage, your not gonna have any where near enough HP to pull it, methinks.

I couldn't tell if it was a single or a older 2 stage. The guy I bought the splitter off of said it had a 10HP on it with the 12 GPM single stage.. I'm thinking I at least try it if it's deathly slow then I upgrade next season to a 2 stage. Anything right now is faster/easier then do it by hand.

Well. got Old Mickey stripped tonight. All that's left is the I beam, Wheels and the tank.. and I guess the wedge. I must say after taking it apart I feel much better knowing that I'm rebuilding. the cylinder was held in place by 1 small booger weld a 2 grade 5 bolts!!! and 1 of them was bent!! I mean common..

I shouldn't say anything the thing is old and I know the guys built it with what they had and it looks like it served them well. But not for me.. Heading out tomorrow got a list of some steel to pick up. I was thinking of getting some 1/4" plate to put on top of the beam just to beef it up.

I went a wrote down the Vickers Pump part# but of course I forgot it outside.. ohwell no rush, it'll still be there tomorrow.

Probably won't have much time to work on it for abit, I'm renting a post hole digger tomorrow for the next few days and fixing about 80 posts.. I need a tractor

Back