PS-5100 is it as good as an 361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.... .
does the 6400 come in heavy compared to the 361??

Yes, definately - empty powerhead is .8 kg (about 1 3/4 pounds) heavier on the Dolmar (test report weights - not from spec sheets).

:biggrinbounce2: :greenchainsaw: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Dolmar is lacking a good option in the 60cc class.

Dolmar is lacking a good option in the 60cc class.

that is true. the only good thing about the 6400 is the option of the 7900 top end.

now when/if they come out with that 7900S I keep hearing rumors about, then we can compare the 7900S to the ms660......
-Ralph

7900s? whats that...sounds like i may need one lol..

so far nothing but a legend about a unicorn.

My local dolmar dealer has been telling me that dolmar is working on a souped up version of the 7900, same as the diff between the 510 and 5100s. now again, these are rumors, but the good old guy has never had a reason to lie to me. few guys on here know Carl too. imo, he's honestly telling me what hes heard, now if the guy ahead of him is telling truth....
and if it isn't so, I would ask the dolmar dealers here not to ruin my dream just yet!
-Ralph

so for the 6400 thats 1.75 heavier.... .4 horse more and about 100 dollars less...

Actually only .2 kW, which never equates to .4 hp - usually less than .3(2.74 hp or 2.68 bhp, if the numbers were not rounded off) - but the brands have different ways to compute the kW to hp/bhp.
The differense is halv as much, if the 361 is the European version.

Rich and Ralph (+ a few "hang-arounds") will of course not like this post, but I don't care, as most people seem to like my pretty spesific posts on such issues

:greenchainsaw:

so far nothing but a legend about a unicorn.

My local dolmar dealer has been telling me that dolmar is working on a souped up version of the 7900, same as the diff between the 510 and 5100s. now again, these are rumors, but the good old guy has never had a reason to lie to me. few guys on here know Carl too. imo, he's honestly telling me what hes heard, now if the guy ahead of him is telling truth....
and if it isn't so, I would ask the dolmar dealers here not to ruin my dream just yet!
-Ralph

An S version would no doubt be cool. The present 7900 seems pretty hopped up to me, it seems to be a lot nimbler than the 460 I ran the other day, with similar power. But I never seem to have enough power in motorcycles or saws. I'd probably rather have the same power with even less weight, for what I do with a saw.

but the brands have different ways to compute the kW to hp/bhp.

That's something that I don't see people talking about much here. I'd bet that the exact measurement techniques, environmental standard conditions, and calculations can and almost certainly do vary somewhat from manufacturer to manufacturer. I'm only extrapolating from what I know about the motorcycle industry. Many motorcycle manufacturers measure hp at the crank, but who rides without a transmission, sprockets, axles, and rubber-clad wheels??? I know nothing about how the chainsaw folks make their measurements, but I do know that I chuckle when I see people talking about 0.1 - 0.3-ish hp differences between different manufacturer's saws...

Ralph, There was a limited run of the Dolmar 7900RS across the pond, Maybe we are going to get a states version, hmmmm.

MS 361 Chain Saw
DISPLACEMENT
59.0 cc (3.6 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER
3.3 kW (4.4 bhp)
WEIGHT (powerhead only)
5.6 kg (12.3 lbs.)

Model:
PS-6400
Engine displacement:
64.0 (3.9) cc (cu. in.)
MAX engine speed (with bar & chain):
13,500 RPM
Power rating:
3.5 (4.8) kW (BHP)
Engine manufacturer:
DOLMAR
Fuel tank capacity:30.0 oz

Oil tank capacity: 13.5 oz

NET weight without bar and chain:
13.6 lbs

Right from the dealers book specs,LOL.

Ralph, There was a limited run of the Dolmar 7900RS across the pond, Maybe we are going to get a states version, hmmmm.

I believe I saw evidence that a few did (or at least one), but it is some time ago, so I don't remember any details........

MS 361 Chain Saw
DISPLACEMENT
59.0 cc (3.6 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER
3.3 kW (4.4 bhp)
WEIGHT (powerhead only)
5.6 kg (12.3 lbs.)

Model:
PS-6400
Engine displacement:
64.0 (3.9) cc (cu. in.)
MAX engine speed (with bar & chain):
13,500 RPM
Power rating:
3.5 (4.8) kW (BHP)
Engine manufacturer:
DOLMAR
Fuel tank capacity:30.0 oz

Oil tank capacity: 13.5 oz

NET weight without bar and chain:
13.6 lbs

Right from the dealers book specs,LOL.

Yes, but the Dolmar weights a bit more than the spec sheet say, and the Stihl is right on.

Also do some maths on the kW vs bhp, and you may get a bit wiser......:greenchainsaw:

Sawtroll I weighed my Dolmar/Makita 6401/7900 powerhead last year. How many have you weighed?
I know what mine weighed with alittle gas and oil and dirt and wood attached to it. What did yours weigh? The weight is right there!

Stihl/Dolmar price difference

In the battle of paying list price for a Dolmar versus a nicely discounted Stihl, white & orange probably wins every time, which is kinda reflected in the ambience of the local Dolmar & Stihl dealer shops.

Who knows it might take (2) 5100S to last as long as a 361. :D

Very different around here. Stihl dealers all stick to the list prices, period. No such thing as a nicely discounted new Stihl from any dealer in Oregon that I am aware of. The prices all just went up about 10%. I cannot get one to budge an inch. But Dollys I can get online at Amrick's or new on Ebay for far less... Compare $600+ for the MS361, to $350-375 for the 5100s. I do not know what the margins are on the Stihl saws, but it must be pretty steep.

Well I just poured what gas i could out and tried to get the bar oil out, but it was cold, so some was still in there, pulled the bar and chain. Dang it didnt weigh book specs without the fuel, it weighed LESS 13.0 LBS.
Copyof6401001.jpg

Now show us your 6400 or 7300 or 7900 weight in a pic troll. LOL.

Well I just poured what gas i could out and tried to get the bar oil out, but it was cold, so some was still in there, pulled the bar and chain. Dang it didnt weigh book specs without the fuel, it weighed LESS 13.0 LBS.
Copyof6401001.jpg

Now show us your 6400 or 7300 or 7900 weight in a pic troll. LOL.

Maybe you ported it, so it lost some weight - or mayby your scale is just a bit off - anyway, I trust DLG/KWF a lot more than you.......:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Really, I shouldn't answer your posts at all, says a number of members here, but I just couldn't resist that one........ :buttkick: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Maybe you ported it, so it lost some weight - or mayby your scale is just a bit off - anyway, I trust DLG/KWF a lot more than you....

SCALE IS DEAD ON! Whatever excuse you want to use. :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :hmm3grin2orange:
But yes it is ported, but .6 pounds worth NOT!

Latest posts

Back