Question Some May like to Answer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucew44guns

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of a nut with some equipment I have. It's feast or famine, rags to riches, underpowered or hell bent for leather, and often I buy something I could have lived without---I just wanted it.

In 1980 I got a new 041 AV Super, 25 inch bar. Thru the years, it has seldom failed me, and cut train loads of firewood. For the past 10 years it's been used in Kansas a lot clearing and cutting Hedge---a very hard wooded tree. BUT---2 years ago I bought a new MS 660, with 30 inch bar. Have I used the saw?--NO. I wanted it, but I have not used it yet. Tonight, out in my barn, I got it out, looked it over, and realized I indeed am a nut. It's time to use that baby and hear it purr and cackle. I been dumping the gas out every 3 or 4 months, putting fresh gas, running a few minutes. Would I be crazy to hire a tech guy to port this saw, modify it? It's got a lot more beef than my 041, and I am not a young guy now, but still would enjoy owning a hot rod 660. I just ask you--should I just leave it alone, and enjoy as is? Or go for broke, and modify the saw? Thanks for your input.

if you can afford it, it would be a blast to run! but it would get heavy after a while :)

From what I've read on here a stock 660 is not that impressive, certainly when compared to the 066 it replaced. I used to run an 066 but never ran a stock 660. A ported 660 on the other hand is just brilliant, mine is by Mastermind and he does a good job and then some. Another common statement from those that know is that unless you're cutting full long bar hardwood all day then a 461 is a better bet

Run it for awhile and if your still looking for more then send it out for a little grinding. As far
as 90cc saws go it is a bit of a slug but if your not use to running big saws then you'll be impressed by a stock 660.

Just a suggestion....when you empty your gas and start it every few months.....it would be better to start the saw and let it warm up(with fresh mix of coarse) then switch it off. Then empty the gas tank, then start it up (with empty gas tank) and burn the remaining fuel in lines until she quits. Then if your pedantic and want to take good care of your beloved 660 remove spark plug and squirt a little two cycle oil in the cylinder and slowly pull the starter cord until the piston is at TDC (top dead centre), replace spark plug and give it a kiss good night and store it in your case and put it away. As for the porting....well there are plenty of reputable saw builders on here that can help you with that (roughly $250 plus shipping). Good luck sounds like you have a nice saw!:bowdown:

Believe me if you dont have PSA (ported saw addiction) a 660 is one beast of a saw and and most of the time you'll have power to spare. For some however they can't have enough and will always want more....Personally l would learn to sharpen chain well as that is usually where the biggest gains are made. More power is not the answer to everything. l'd consider an 8 pin rim sprocket (increasing chain speed) and a bar up to 25". SHARP CHAIN on a 50cc saw will do more work than a so so blunt chain on a ported 100cc saw. Did l mention sharp chain!...Actually understanding how chain cuts and how differant angles effect performance will have you spank the guy with his hopped up 660 and no idea! :D

I can't believe you haven't ran that saw yet, way more restain shown than I have. I was looking for wood to cut on my way home from picking mine up.

Send it out for porting now. Buy you a can of 40 fuel or VP 2 cycle gas and dump the pump gas and then start it and run some of that in it until you can smell the different exhaust and then leave it full. No reason to drain it with that stuff.

You guys are amazing with excellent answers. I'll decide soon, but am leaning hard in following thru with Mastermind. Thanks a lot.

You'll not regret a mastermind 660

Sent from my GT-I9100

Back