questions on selling specialty woods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southsoundtree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I would like to start selling some of the specialty woods that I cut. For example, right now I have a bunch of english holly logs, freshly cut. I am not sure how to market them or charge for them. So far, I have listed on the Olympia, WA Craigslist and had an inquiry from the east coast, of all places it couldn't get much further away. I would need to ship it to him, sight unseen, only though pictures. He is interested in a 3-4' length for inlays.

What to ask, pricewise????

What parts are people using for turning english holly, internodal sections/ between branches, with the branches, trunk unions/ crotches?

I also had a lot of monkey puzzle, which I gave to a friend who is having 4" boards T&G/ planed for panelling in his addition. Sounds like this will be very unique panelling, and beautiful too.

I have given some away to the local woodturners, but this is extra work for me, and I wouldn't mind some financial compansation in addition to the contacts.

Any thoughts, links, guidelines...?

i do alot of game calls and am always looking for different wood. i would be interested in some ,finances are a little slim now but id like to arrange something.

might also try a "call" forum, i can give you a good lead,may or maynot pan out . Dave

I would like to start selling some of the specialty woods that I cut. For example, right now I have a bunch of english holly logs, freshly cut. I am not sure how to market them or charge for them. So far, I have listed on the Olympia, WA Craigslist and had an inquiry from the east coast, of all places it couldn't get much further away. I would need to ship it to him, sight unseen, only though pictures. He is interested in a 3-4' length for inlays.

What to ask, pricewise????

What parts are people using for turning english holly, internodal sections/ between branches, with the branches, trunk unions/ crotches?

I also had a lot of monkey puzzle, which I gave to a friend who is having 4" boards T&G/ planed for panelling in his addition. Sounds like this will be very unique panelling, and beautiful too.

I have given some away to the local woodturners, but this is extra work for me, and I wouldn't mind some financial compansation in addition to the contacts.

Any thoughts, links, guidelines...?
I have been buying from different buyers on ebay.
Mainly cury birch as I have a large project in mind.

Ebay would give you a base price to consider.

I have sold some turning blanks on ebay that I have milled. I sold some spalted flaming box elder as pen blanks and vase blanks. I also sold some of my highly figured spalted sycamore that I worked up into pen blanks. The box elder was processed green and the sycamore had been air dried for a couple years. I dipped the ends in melted paraffin wax. It was a little work but I averaged over 20 bucks a board foot when the auctions had ended, plus they pay for the shipping. I received excellent feedback from it too! I seem to have misplaced the pics right now, but it all had excellent color and figure. I have watched a lot of blank and turning wood auctions in the past and it must be processed well and very unusual or have some unique figure to fetch the premium prices. do a little research on there and you will see right away what is selling and what is not.

Back