Quiet Cainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorsman9109

Reaction score
I am looking for a list of the quietest gas chainsaws in the market. I don't want an electric chainsaw because I will be out in the woods. I would like a medium bar around 14 or so inches. I've done some searching, but having come up with anything good. Are there accessories that you can buy that quiet chainsaws, such as special mufflers?
Thanks

Good luck, I've never been around one that wasn't just plain loud! The 4-stroke Dolmar due out next year will probably be quieter than any two stroke. It's certainly possible to build a relatively quiet 2-stroke saw, but weight and volume discourage it. Hearing protection mandatory!

Yahoo. Someone else besides me that wishes chainsaws were actually quieter.

Get some moldex 6800 soft plugs and a cap with Peltor 10 series muffs, that is a start.

I await with curiousity the new 4 stroke Dolmar 50cc sized saws next year and may try one, although I am sure it will be a little heavy for it's class.

I remain convinced that with a NASA or defense dept. sized R&D budget a much quieter muffler could be developed for any particular saw, but it would probably double the cost of the saw and there really isn't enough motivation to do that.

And the truth is many people automatically correlated noise with power with gas motors and really would not find running a quiet saw as fun. I would, though.

Last edited:
Welcome to arboristsite!

In short, no, there are not mufflers on the market that make saws quieter. Since noise output and power output are generally corellated (though not a 1:1 correlation), folks tend to open mufflers up rather than the other way around.

That said, on a purely anecdotal level, I have found the smaller saws from Echo to be surprisingly quiet, but they're still fairly noisy, in an absolute sense.

flexible steel hose form the muffler, into a bucket of water :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: (if yer planning on secret wood cutting) :buttkick:

SRT-Tech said:
flexible steel hose form the muffler, into a bucket of water :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: (if yer planning on secret wood cutting) :buttkick:

I've heard of this before. Has anyone ever actually listened to a setup like this? I would love to hear it. Perhaps the loudest bubbles in town.

neber mind quiet, i want to see someone put a CherryBomb glasspack onto a big saw!! :cheers:

Hey, if it were'nt for safety reasons [someone walking up on me] and performance and size were the same, I would love to have a totally silent saw. No hearing protection, just the sound of chips and an undercut hitting the ground, then hinge squeel and crash. Might fire up the noisy version once in a while just for old times sake.

Homelite CS-50

I have one and it is shockingly quiet. Perfect when you're someplace that you want to get out of without making much noise. It's my wheeling saw. They have a very large muffler with two small outlet tubes. If you redirected those two tubes somewhere under the saw and then into another box you could probably make it quieter still. It's pretty lame for a 50cc saw but it's quiet.
John...

outdoorsman9109 said:
I am looking for a list of the quietest gas chainsaws in the market. I don't want an electric chainsaw because I will be out in the woods. I would like a medium bar around 14 or so inches. I've done some searching, but having come up with anything good. Are there accessories that you can buy that quiet chainsaws, such as special mufflers?
Thanks
You'r not thinking about cutting down your neighbors tree are you?

I have a 066 that I use just on my CSM and have been thinking
about some kind of muffler for it. And maybe some kind of air stack
for the intake, to raise the air filter so it won't get dirty as quick.

Just update to a new saw. They are quite a-bit quieter than the old ones. The bigger the saw the lower the pitch. Of course the reverse seems to be true with the smaller saws.

disandat said:
Just update to a new saw. They are quite a-bit quieter than the old ones. The bigger the saw the lower the pitch. Of course the reverse seems to be true with the smaller saws.

Ahem... That is until the rash of muffler mods get done!!:D :D

Latest posts

Back