Re-Plastering inside an Old Chimney

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidj

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My house was built in 1929 and the chimney has no flue liner tiles, they just plastered over the brick. There is cap on the chimney so its been exposed to the weather all these years and some of the plaster is falling off. Are there people out there who can re-plaster the flue?

I would imagine that 'replastering' the inside of a chimney would not only be an almost impossible physical task, but one that would not only violate any and all codes, as well as homeowner peace of mind while using.

Just an ol gaseous guy's opinion

Recommend latest technology flu liners with insulation as added efficiency/safety feature. Check local references for chimney service and you should quickly get several estimates/opinions.

Best regards

sounds like you may need to hire a midget to get in there to do the plastering:greenchainsaw:

Ha,ha good one Yoop. Actually in the old days the way it was done (by the way it's not plaster) is you'd mix up some soupyish concrete lower a sandbag that just fits on a rope, dump in the mix and slowly pull it up while adding needed mix. You get the idea, the sandbag when pulled would thin out a bit and the mix flowed off onto the walls. It was a messy pain in the a## to do and took many applications. Much easier these days to run a stainless flex flue. :cheers:

I would just have an insulated stainless liner installed. Then you'll be good to go. We had one installed in our 1888 chimney.

I would go with a liner, but there is a procedure in which an inflatable tube is inserted down the length of a chimney, inflated and a lightweight concrete poured around it.This would probably be used if an open fireplace was to be kept.

I would go with a liner, but there is a procedure in which an inflatable tube is inserted down the length of a chimney, inflated and a lightweight concrete poured around it.This would probably be used if an open fireplace was to be kept.

Yep same concept

The only problem I see with using the inflatable bladder & vermicuite/refractory cement is that the solution is VERY permanent & if you were to ever want to enlarge the flue or need to replace it for whatever reason, the demolition costs become astronomical.

But I'm the kind of guy that wants to keep every possible option open later down the road.

Insulated flex SS is the easiest solution IMHO.

Good luck and send us photos!

The only problem I see with using the inflatable bladder & vermicuite/refractory cement is that the solution is VERY permanent & if you were to ever want to enlarge the flue or need to replace it for whatever reason, the demolition costs become astronomical.

A little ironic since I saw that as a virtue rather than a downside, since I'm redoing the house and there were some problem spots in the chimney, not only did I get a very safe liner that's a snap to clean, but now I don't have to worry about opening up walls down the road to point up trouble spots. I had the Golden Flu brand done, and I couldn't be happier. Wasn't cheap, but it was cheaper than having to rebuild the chimney, that's for sure.

But I'm the kind of guy that wants to keep every possible option open later down the road.

Insulated flex SS is the easiest solution IMHO.

Good luck and send us photos!

plus1

Back