Re-thinking my saw plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallguys

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
First of all, let me say that I've been more than happy with my set-up as I don't do a lot of heavy cutting, but now I gave in to a bit of CAD and want some opinions. My most used saws have been my under 40cc ones for most work around the yard. My PS510 has been all I ever wanted doing mostly firewood duty. I figured somewhere down the road I'd look for a good deal on a PS6400 or 7300, if and when the need presented itself. Then I chanced upon this barely used MS361 and impulse took over.

So here is the question: Does it make more sense to sell the 510 and keep the 361 for firewood and larger duties which kind of future proofs me since I probably won't need to spring for that 6400/7300 down the road. Or do I keep with the original 3 saw plan and skip the 60cc, instead using it as a trade in against a larger saw which would only get an occasional workout as most of what I cut is done well enough with the 510.

Any and all suggestions welcomed, of course.

Last edited:
These sorts of threads are always tricky because we dont know exactly what you need/want to get out of a sale.

You have basically asked "should I sell the 510 or the 361" and the answer really lies in what you need/want to get out of it. Many will tell you to keep the 361 because its the pro saw of the two and its much bigger. However, for those very reasons it may make more sense to sell it. The 361 is bigger, its professional and its a Stihl - the 3 things that add up to more money when it comes to selling (albeit this is based on them being in similar condition etc - i havent seen either). So you have to ask yourself: is it worth letting the 510 go for maybe $150-200 or would you rather get $300-400 for the 361? Only you can answer that.

In terms of which to keep from a practical standpoint. Again, its a tough call. I would always recommend a 50cc/70cc plan if possible, but youre also looking at getting rid of a 60cc pro saw and keeping a 50cc prosumer saw, so that throws a little wrench in the answer. If you had a 5100/5105 Id say loose the 361 and put that money towards a 7300/7900. But based on what you actually have, i find it harder to recommend that.

The fact that you say your sub 40cc saws do a bulk of your work makes me think you are cutting a lot of small and/or soft wood, in which case a 60cc saw may be all you need. I went for a long time with nothing over 60cc (had 3 of them - 036, 034s and 262) and found it worked fine for a lot of stuff. The 361 will work great with a 20" bar and can be outfitted with a 24" for short periods of time.

Really comes down to what you're looking for. Unfortunately most of us around here are better at telling you what to get - vs. what to get rid of. :)

I would always recommend a 50cc/70cc plan if possible, but youre also looking at getting rid of a 60cc pro saw and keeping a 50cc prosumer saw, so that throws a little wrench in the answer. If you had a 5100/5105... :)[/B]
You've hit the nail on the head. Thus far, my larger cutting needs have been served well enough by the 510. The 361 just provides more power for longer bars if necessary. As I indicated, the plan was to find a 65cc-70cc saw down the road, though realistically I have no need for that size saw at the moment.
Or would it make more sense to sell both 510 and 361 and shoot up the middle power wise with a pro 50cc like a 5100s/5105? Might be a better fit for an occasional user's needs. Maybe I'm just brain storming too much. :msp_confused:

Then I would look for a good 346/261 and send the 361 down the pike.
So then a pro 50cc would be your recommendation over the 361. I did notice that you excluded the 5100s or 5105.:msp_huh: Oversight or perhaps some thoughts you can elaborate on?

IMHO, The 361 sounds like it will suit what you need for just about whatever you run in to. I too am an occasional saw user so having a mid range that can handle pretty much anything i'm going to cut makes sense. If it weren't for already having a light duty and heavier duty saw (Craftsman 16" bar 36cc, and Poulan 245A 73cc w/20" bar) i would probably go for a 60cc range and have no problems.

As JustinM said, it boils down to what you want/need, and how bad CAD kicks in. Best of luckwith your decision.

Ed

So then a pro 50cc would be your recommendation over the 361. I did notice that you excluded the 5100s or 5105.:msp_huh: Oversight or perhaps some thoughts you can elaborate on?

A MM 346/261 is very close to a stock 361.

I used a 5100 for a few weeks and didn't care for the way it felt. It is a strong saw, best for bucking and not limbing.

Good advice given. What I would do:

If I have the 510 and 361,

If I find myself using the 361 most of the time, and I wanted to upgrade, I would trade the 361 in for a 70cc saw.

If I find myself using the 510 most of the time, but I want more, I would look at upgrading the 510 to pro saw, then down the road, upgrading the 361 to a 70cc. Little hours on a 361, it would hold its value pretty well.

Just prioritize your uses.

If you upgrade that 510 to a 261 or 346, I think you would find you will be using that saw in cases you may have previously picked up a larger saw.

Good luck.

You have two nice medium displacement saws now. Sit back and use them both for awhile and see how you like them and which one you find yourself always grabbing first when you need to go cutting. Whichever one you go for by instinct you shuld keep and sell/trade the other in on a new or new-to-you 70+cc saw.

You're talking firewood duties here, just what is it you're cutting and would you change that plan if you had a 70cc saw with a 24-28" bar available to you? My guess is since you say the 5510 does it all, you're not out there falling 100' tall x 30" diameter trees and you probably won't be. Lets be honest, this is really a CAD issue. While a 70cc saw is always nice to have in the shed, it doesn't sound like you really have much of a practical use for one...which is fine...we all still endorse you getting a 70cc saw because thats what this does to you. Soon you'll also want a 90cc saw, then a top handle for climbing and don't forget the extendable pole saw...and then every bar and chain combination that might fit any of them...and so it goes.

I say use what you got for awhile. Realistically, you've probably got all the saw you're ever going to need to do pretty much anything you could possibly want to tackle. Figure out which one you like best and sell or trade the other one and treat yourself to a nice shiny toy...with the right 70cc saw you mgiht just decide to dump the midrange altogether anyway and go 40cc/70cc 2 saw plan.

While a 70cc saw is always nice to have in the shed, it doesn't sound like you really have much of a practical use for one... Soon you'll also want a 90cc saw, then a top handle for climbing and don't forget the extendable pole saw...and then every bar and chain combination that might fit any of them...and so it goes.
This is just what I was thinking, that I really have no need to go larger than the 6400 and the 361 seems like it would be pretty close to that. Its not just CAD, OK maybe it is, but like many I'm just looking to find the best solution to my needs (and wants).

Funny that you mentioned it but I already have the top-handle and the pole saw,:msp_thumbup: and they do come in handy.

A 7900 is so much more versatile than a 90cc saw. It doesn't wear you out to use it all day. It might give up a little with bars over 24" and the difference will certainly be greater the longer the bar, but 7900 handles so much better and is 2-3 pounds lighter that my 90cc saws rarely get used.
I don't see where a 6400 fits in. True enough, it is stronger than a 361. But that small power advantage comes at with a weight penalty. With the 79cc saw, the weight difference comes with a BIG power advantage.
There isn't anything wrong with a 510. It's just that there are several saws that are much better. For a homeowner that needs to drop a few trees per year, or buck up a couple of truck loads of firewood, it will serve them well and the power/weight issue is easier to overlook. But if like saws, and the budget will permit, I would be looking at the MM346/7900 combo.

I don't see where a 6400 fits in. True enough, it is stronger than a 361. But that small power advantage comes at with a weight penalty. With the 79cc saw, the weight difference comes with a BIG power advantage.

True, but a 6400 has the advantage of being upgraded to a 7900 or 84cc BB pretty easily/inexpensively.

TallGuys, I like the 7900,5105,643IP trio. I absolutely love the 643IP baby solo for limbing and yard work. It's 40 cc 2.7 hp and the powerhead weighs a mere 9 lbs. It is so nimble that I may have to name it Jack. If I made it a duo it would be the 7900 and 643IP---For the Baby Click Here 643IP-16

Last edited:
It really depends on your cutting needs. Out in the woods dropping trees and cutting them up for firewood I rarely would want anything other than my 5100. For the occasional big trunk or if I'm cutting up some of the monters the tree service leaves my nieghbor to cut up for firewood my 7300 is nice. One thing I can tell you is that running a 6400, 7300, 7900 series saw will be quite a bit heavier than your 510 by the end of the day. I'm glad I have both but if I could only have one I would keep my 5100. You can cut small wood with a big saw but I would rather use a smaller one. Just my opinion. Happy cutting.

Out in the woods dropping trees and cutting them up for firewood I rarely would want anything other than my 5100... if I could only have one I would keep my 5100.
So another suggestion to go for a pro 50cc as a stepped up "go to" saw. It seems that you are liking your 5100s, even as a "in the woods" saw. I've been reading many extolling the virtues of the 346xp to the detriment of all else. I like the 346xp but not at 50% more money as a current Dolmar 5105. How do you find your saw's handling in the woods?

It handles like a 6 ounce lighter version of the 510. I have run both and the 5100 isn't nearly as svelte in the hands. Now, I understand the pricing differences bw Husky and Dolmar, and twice as expensive certainly could sway which one I bought. We are blessed south of the border that Husqvarnas and Dolmars are much more closely priced. Don't get me wrong, I love Dollies, I have 9 at the shop, but the 346 is just a better 50cc saw (limbing and smaller felling).
I would like to try a 261 and see just how they feel.

It handles like a 6 ounce lighter version of the 510. I have run both and the 5100 isn't nearly as svelte... the 346 is just a better 50cc saw (limbing and smaller felling). I would like to try a 261 and see just how they feel.
The way many go on about it I always though there was a larger weight difference between my 510 and the 5100s. I can get a 7300 here for what a 346XP goes for, so it isn't in the cards for me. I have sometimes wondered about the 5105 and the MS261 as they price out almost the same when one factors in Stihl's free case and chain promotion.

The way many go on about it I always though there was a larger weight difference between my 510 and the 5100s. I can get a 7300 here for what a 346XP goes for, so it isn't in the cards for me. I have sometimes wondered about the 5105 and the MS261 as they price out almost the same when one factors in Stihl's free case and chain promotion.

Tallguys, I just bought a Dolmar tool case for my 5105 and it was $44.60

Tallguys, I just bought a Dolmar tool case for my 5105 and it was $44.60

I see that a case costs the same in the US as Canada then as thats about what I paid for mine as well.

I only mentioned it because here a Stihl MS261 costs about $80 more than a PS-5105. Factor in the case and chain and its the same money. :msp_thumbup:

I like the 7900,5105,643IP trio. I absolutely love the 643IP baby solo for limbing and yard work.
I gather then that you're recommending losing the MS361 and going 70cc+ when the time comes. My setup currently is the 510, 340 and 020T. I love the little saws as they are just so handy in use. Its the midrange where I am second guessing the best route.

Back