Reasonable Price for Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lookingtoplant

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey, :help:

I have some evergreens, not quite sure what type, maybe austrian? up towards the Guelph On. CAN way. There at least 7 feet tall. How much would you expect to pay for something like this, including the extraction fee? We just bought the property, and it was planted for a nursery. The trees weren't pruned recently, may have never been pruned. I'll add the measurments of the trunk later. Thanks. Paul.

Last edited:
Not sure what trees you have but here at a wholesale nursery I can get a 6'/7' Fraser fir B&B for $116.50. A 6'/7' B&B Norway spruce for $120.25.
I'm in Connecticut so that is probably different then where you are but maybe a bit of a help for you.

You can resize your images by using this free and easily used program.
http://www.irfanview.com/
Once downloaded and installed, simply select file, then open your file, select image then resize, select the 640 x 480 pixels or any other size desired (hopefully smaller), click okay, then go to file and select save. I generally choose the 640 x 480 pixels option. If you want to keep your outrageously large image, be sure to copy it or rename your resized pic so that it doesn't overwrite your obscenely huge photo.
With Windows XP you can resize multiple images in one operation with Power Toys/Image Resizer. You can download Image Resizer in the Power Toys options. Download from the Microsoft page : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
With the Power Toys/Image Resizer, be sure to use the advance tab and choose not to make copies or you'll have too many images in your folders.

TreeCo said:
Your trees look like douglass firs or maybe another fir.
Anyone then know the price of a fraser fir that's in the pictures there? A local nursery sells 6' fraser firs at 400+. These are obviously not nursery grown, but how much would you buy them for? I've looked up the Fraser Fir and think that this more likely then a douglas fir, as the fraser's are more popular in Canada. I'm located just outside of Toronto. Thanks.

Last edited:
Those appear to be Norway spruce and poor quality as far as shape goes. If you are going to move them for others, just charge enough to cover your time and costs. If others are going to move them, let them have them with no charge. Back when I worked in a nursery, we would have culled those trees.

Rtom45 said:
Back when I worked in a nursery, we would have culled those trees.

These trees were planted for a nursery, and we just purchased the property about a year ago, and want to make some money off the property. There are some nicer ones, and I'm not to keen on letting them go for nothing, so I'll see what I can weasel out of the people that want them.

The pretty one on the left is a tamarac the one on the right looks like norway or white the others look like fraiser fir as for price in ontario just north of toronto 200cm to 250 cm wholesale depends on qaulity of root ball (sandy soil real loose ball junk heavy soils solid balls good) 75$ t0 125$ make some calls (under a lanscape contractors name made up even) feel out a few suppliers and under cut prices now retail is different we sell 250cm for around 220$ and then if they want it installed i try to sell installation at half of what the tree is worth and try not to warranty anything unless u install it urself so that way u know it was done right. i hope this was some help

P.s u will have a hard time harvesting on that hill u might need a man on the outside of the spade making sure u are centre

Tree Planter said:
The pretty one on the left is a tamarac the one on the right looks like norway or white the others look like fraiser fir as for price in ontario just north of toronto 200cm to 250 cm wholesale depends on qaulity of root ball (sandy soil real loose ball junk heavy soils solid balls good) 75$ t0 125$ make some calls (under a lanscape contractors name made up even) feel out a few suppliers and under cut prices now retail is different we sell 250cm for around 220$ and then if they want it installed i try to sell installation at half of what the tree is worth and try not to warranty anything unless u install it urself so that way u know it was done right. i hope this was some help

P.s u will have a hard time harvesting on that hill u might need a man on the outside of the spade making sure u are centre

Thanks so much. Just the info I was looking for. I'm 99% sure that the soil is heavy. I'd probably be transplanting them myself with a 44" inch bob cat mounted tree spade, and wouldn't warranty anything. I don't have plans on pruning the roots, but if I get the bob cat (can rent one for 440/day) and have some extra time, I may go and prune as many as I can. Any other things I should think of? Paul

when u r digging with a 44 that means it is the the max size it will dig you can lift the spade off the ground to get the dessired ball size if im right the spade u are talking about will do any were from 28 to 44 and if the balls come out a little big you can clean the tops a bit just dont beat up the roots to bad with ur shovel. also we dont root prune generaly when the trees are bought in as bare root u will prune dead or damaged roots off and it suffices. and just for a couple numbers in a good day u can have 250 peices out with one machine moving constantly but that means u have at least six to seven guys tiying tops (just somthing to think about)

Burlaping

Tree Planter said:
when u r digging with a 44 that means it is the the max size it will dig you can lift the spade off the ground to get the dessired ball size if im right the spade u are talking about will do any were from 28 to 44 and if the balls come out a little big you can clean the tops a bit just dont beat up the roots to bad with ur shovel. also we dont root prune generaly when the trees are bought in as bare root u will prune dead or damaged roots off and it suffices. and just for a couple numbers in a good day u can have 250 peices out with one machine moving constantly but that means u have at least six to seven guys tiying tops (just somthing to think about)
What do you mean by tying tops? Burlaping? And I plan to take them out one day and then plant them the next. What do I need to do when it comes to burlaping? Thanks

u will have to place burlap in the basket then the excess will be pulled up on to the top of the ball in such a way that u do not lose dirt and then u tie the top of the basket with sisal rope (bio degradable rope) so when u lift them the ball stays tight and there is little to no trunk movement

Latest posts

Back