Recommend me a chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter399

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello all,

I would be very pleased if you could recommend me a chain for
my Husky 262 XPG (62 cc / 4,6 hp).

Today I run a 15 inch bar with 0,325 pitch. I don't know
what rim sprocket I have but I have never changed it so it should
be standard. I'm not sure how a change in pitch affects the cutting
speed etc. I would like to try 18 inch bar with 3/8. Is that ok for this saw?
7 or 8 tooth sprocket? How will it cut compared with my 0,325" ?
I also hope that the 18" 3/8 will balance better, be easier to file and last
sharp a bit longer, is this true?

Anyone knows a good tutorial for chains and bars. I really would like to learn about pitch and gauge and everything. Thank you for any help!

Best regards, Peter

Peter

Welcome to the site!

There is a chance that 3/8 chain may do well for you, as .325 never really seemed to have a the speed advantage it should have, (it may have less kick-back?)

Chain manufactures web sites can explain there info and numbering system.

There is a ton of help here, some that may run that saw/bar combo?

The search function will bring up a ton of archived info also.

I think You will learn a lot here as I have also!

Kevin

My guess is the two chains would perform about equal.
The .325 is physically smaller and has more teeth per inch, both advantages.
The 3/8's might be a little easier to file, is a bit stronger, and it takes a bigger bite, so you might gain some cutting speed at the cost of smoothness.
I'd try 8 tooth for the .325 and 7 tooth for 3/8's on your size saw. Any bigger and it may have trouble keeping the RPMs up in the cut. Rims are cheap and easy to change out, so try a different size and see how it goes.

Welcome Peter,Ditto to what Mike stated.Remember,if you run sprocket nose bars and you change from .325 to 3/8, bar change is due.I have a 62cc and run a 20" 3/8 set up and it performs good and I feel the balance is good also.

On that saw I would run the low profile 3/8 chain. It is a heck of a performer.

Fred

Hello Mr.

Could you specify a bit more what is the "low profile" chain?
Chisel? Semi-chisel?

/Peter

I use the Oregan chisel variety. Bailey's sells it. It has what LOOKS like , it is not, a .325 cutter on the 3/8 chasis. The chain is a hybrid of sorts and cleans out rather well.

Fred

peter399 said:
.... I would like to try 18 inch bar with 3/8. Is that ok for this saw?
7 or 8 tooth sprocket? How will it cut compared with my 0,325" ?
If you are using sprockets of similar diameter, as 3/8"x7 and .325x8, and Oregon LP or Stihl RS chain, my guess is that the .325 will be fastest in small wood because of more cutters, and 3/8 in larger wood because of fewer cutters(=less drag) and better chip clearanse.
However there are a lot of factors that influence the result - so the only way to know for sure is to try.

That aside, as far as I know, the 262XP has the small spline cluch, so I don't think 3/8x8 is an option unless you get an aftermarket cluch drum with the larger spline (Baileys have them, I think).

Chances are that the 3/8x7 is the best option anyway, with an 18" bar.
With a shorter bar, I would have wanted to try the 3/8x8.

SawTroll said:
.... That aside, as far as I know, the 262XP has the small spline cluch, so I don't think 3/8x8 is an option unless you get an aftermarket cluch drum with the larger spline (Baileys have them, I think).
If you are interested in the larger spline drum, take a look at this tread, post 9 and 10.

262xpg

Peter if don't live to far from south of dalarna :p
you can try my bar and chain on it ,, 16" 3/8

Haft en bra Påsk :)

/Kristoffer

Thank you all for very nice replies. I will definately try something out here.
I'll start with the 18" 3/8 7 sprocket. Oh forgot about the gauge, 0,50 or 0,58?

/Peter

Gauge

It doesn't really matter which gauge you use, just get the one that is easiest to get where you live.

In 3/8" we don't really have a choice here in Norway; Husqvarna mount means .058 and Stihl mount means .063 - .050 is "out of bonds".

It is about the same with the chain. Stihl chain is readily available in .063 only, Husky and Jred labeled Oregon in .058 only. Oregon labeled chain is usually .058, but can be ordered in other gauges (60 days delivery time, I was told when I asked).

I suspect the situation could be the same in Sweden, but I am not sure. I suggest that you check it out before you make a decision.

Also be aware that the 262xp has the small Husky mount (Oregon K095) when you order a bar.

The simplest way out is to go to a Husky dealer and buy a small mount 3/8" Em-made Husky bar and a couple of H42 chain - it is the same chain as the Oregon 73LP.

Last edited:
Same situation

SawTroll said:
It doesn't really matter which gauge you use, just get the one that is easiest to get where you live.

In 3/8" we don't really have a choice here in Norway; Husqvarna mount means .058 and Stihl mount means .063 - .050 is "out of bonds".

It is about the same with the chain. Stihl chain is readily available in .063 only, Husky and Jred labeled Oregon in .058 only. Oregon labeled chain is usually .058, but can be ordered in other gauges (60 days delivery time, I was told when I asked).

I suspect the situation could be the same in Sweden, but I am not sure. I suggest that you check it out before you make a decision.

Also be aware that the 262xp has the small Husky mount (Oregon K095) when you order a bar.

The simplest way out is to go to a Husky dealer and buy a small mount 3/8" Em-made Husky bar and a couple of H42 chain - it is the same chain as the Oregon 73LP.

you are right about the delivery time, everything from Oregon thats not standard in name brand saw setup seems to take 60-90 days to get here in Sweden and that sucks ,,,,,

Yes, it does! :censored: :taped: :bang:

The part numbers on the small mount (laminated) 18" bar is 508 91 41-68, and the H42 chain is 501 84 14-68, at least here in Norway.

Swe_kipp:

Hello fellow citizen ;)

I live in Småland, otherwise I could have tried your
bar on my saw. Thank you for the offer anyway.
Yes, eastern was good. Three days with the Hypro took
the last piece of Gudrun out of the woods. Now we will
look forward again.

/Peter

Back