Recommend me a small saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gab250

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Alright, so I've got a bit of a novice question: I'm after a small saw, that has a little bit more grunt than my old Stihl 024AV, but hopefully a bit smaller and lighter than an MS290, just want it for camping, and I want around a 14-18" bar (no bigger than 18" or it wont fit in my toolbox) What are some to consider?

Cheers, Gab

Try the MS241. I love it. Small and powerful and the most important... super light.

Στάλθηκε από το LG-H818 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Budget?

If the budget allows, +1 on the MS241 C-M. The power for a saw that size is really quite remarkable. I run a 16 inch, bar on mine with 63PS55 chain. Saw will most likely come with the "green" PS3 chain. Don't sweat it. It cuts very well and unless you do a lot of bore or plunge cuts, chances are you won't notice any performance difference.

Absolutely no complaints and I've put a lot of time on that saw cutting on the treelength pile over 4 years or so. No idea how many hours that relates to. I typically get 20-25 minutes per tank at WOT cutting on the treelength pile. I have used it for dropping hardwood 12 inches DBH and smaller with great results.

One additional point, my saw which is a sample of one, took a lot of time to break in and reach its potential. Estimate about 4 cord or so.

Take Care

Is a 241 a big enough jump in performance over a 024 to warrant spending $600? I guess I have never operated an 024 but the 241 does not light the world on fire in stock form.

I might suggest a Husky 550 or 261 Stihl. Or if budget is a concern, a 450 or 545 Husky. Or a comparable Jonsered.

MS261 C-M, you can run a 16" bar all the way up to a 20". Do 90% of all work you'll ever need, one and done!

For a 15" bar, any +3hp saw will do. The more pro, the lighter you can get in the same power range. Makita 4300 (Dolar 421), Stihl 241, husqvarna 543xp they are all in the same ballpark.
Or you can go a tad heavier and go for the 50cc versions.
You don't need to over think it.
Since it's just an occasional saw.

Personally I would go for the MS170 as well. I'm not a Stihl man at all. But was very impressed with how smooth that thing is. It won't out-run your 024. But hey, it's only 55 cent (and maybe 249,45 bucks)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

hello-hello-hello-hello-echo-echo-echo-echo.jpg

Echo CS-490 ---- Just buy one and thank us later.

A wide variety of opinions here. I'm guessing it would be a lot different if we knew what size/how much wood the OP expects to cut, and what his/her budget is.

Stihl 026 PRO, a tried and proven veteran. But, try to find one in good condition. Many owners they like them so much that they run them until the saw drops dead. That's why I own two of them.

Here's a good one that's scarce as hen's teeth:
Echo3900.JPG
Echo CS-3900. A classic saw from the late '90s. Only 39 cc, but it outcuts my Stihl 024.

Back