Red Power!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now you gotta figure 706/806.... 3010/4010 came out about te same time, before that these damn glow plugs vs lets go chase a flywheel into the woods.

So 1960 and 1963 are about the same time, except they aren't, and a 806 ain't a 4020, which came out in 1963 also. A few thousand farmers at the time said so, and chose the green one. Most the perks of the video starting this thread, like dedicated hydraulics for steering, wide operator platforms, except a more than two cylinder engine, were available from Deere starting with the 1953 introduced first numbered series (50, 60, 70 and 80).

*Actually, quite a few thousand. Sales of John Deere 4020's alone out sold the entire 06 line-up. They did sell/produce them longer, until 1972, but sales of other Deere tractors, such as the 4000 (same engine and frame, 3020 rear end), and 4320 (same tractor, turbo charged engine), no doubt hurt sales of 4020's, if that was possible.

Red ones did use negative ground. That was a option Deere should have used.

Last edited:
So 1960 and 1963 are about the same time, except they aren't, and a 806 ain't a 4020, which came out in 1963 also. A few thousand farmers at the time said so, and chose the green one. Most the perks of the video starting this thread, like dedicated hydraulics for steering, wide operator platforms, except a more than two cylinder engine, were available from Deere starting with the 1953 introduced first numbered series (50, 60, 70 and 80).

*Actually, quite a few thousand. Sales of John Deere 4020's alone out sold the entire 06 line-up. They did sell/produce them longer, until 1972, but sales of other Deere tractors, such as the 4000 (same engine and frame, 3020 rear end), and 4320 (same tractor, turbo charged engine), no doubt hurt sales of 4020's, if that was possible.

Red ones did use negative ground. That was a option Deere should have used.

You can interpret those numbers any way you want, the way I see it, JD was stuck on the 4020, and IH had moved along to the 66 series.

My neighbors always thought their 4020 was a better plow tractor than the 806, it had a sweet spot for the 5 16's and you could get more done with it. That was until one Sunday, their 1066 blew a tire, and the tried hooking the 6 16's to the 4020. She wouldn't move them. Hooked them to the 806, and couldn't tell the difference from the 5 16's. She never even knew they added a plow :msp_wink:

Last edited:
You can interpret those numbers any way you want, the way I see it, JD was stuck on the 4020, and IH had moved along to the 66 series.

My neighbors always thought their 4020 was a better plow tractor than the 806, it had a sweet spot for the 5 16's and you could get more done with it. That was until one Sunday, their 1066 blew a tire, and the tried hooking the 6 16's to the 4020. She wouldn't move them. Hooked them to the 806, and couldn't tell the difference from the 5 16's. She never even knew they added a plow :msp_wink:

Stuck? No. Why change a lot when you are selling as many as they did? Up to 48% of Deere tractor sales at times were 4020's. The 4020 was the 4010 powered up some and bettered. A 1964 4020 changed quite a bit by 1973 to stay ahead of the red menace. Then Generation II sent Deere out ahead again, and only near the end of IH did the products from Rock Island come close to catching the ones from Waterloo.

I wouldn't think of hooking 6 bottoms to a 4020. Many farmers found IH's 6 plow claims for the 806 false, and switched brands. Around here, in the hills and clay loam, you pulled four and were happy happy. With either or any other brand, by the way.

And as your post states, they normally got more done with the 4020 than the 806. Color matters not when production is mattered most. And why the succession of X6's began.

They were considered to be stuck on the two cylinder, until the show in Dallas in August of 1961. Shortly thereafter, they were number one and never surpassed again, not entirely due to the products, but without solid ones, they wouldn't have maintained the lead. That has been proved time and again, by other outfits in other industries as well.

Leadership of IH is to blame for their collapse. If the products were superior, they would have survived. Good, sometimes great products, didn't keep them safe from bankruptcy. Very little of the red construction equipment was loved by the user or owner, even after it changed names (Dresser). Light trucks never could be made profitable, although a good, sometimes great product. And they never really went big overseas. A company of their size and stature should of made it, but a near perfect storm of strike, the economy, and lack of a clear direction from the top took it down. And has allowed mother Deere to become quite haughty and full of herself.

[video=youtube;UtjbYPb0fA8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtjbYPb0fA8[/video]

I'm not going to argue with you about 50 year old tractors Jeff :laugh: I know what I like, and apparently you do to. They each had their ups and downs. They might have got more done with the 4020 and a moulboard plow, but when you compare the two with a 9 shank chisel plow, we both know who comes out on top.

Leadership of IH is to blame for their collapse. If the products were superior, they would have survived. Good, sometimes great products, didn't keep them safe from bankruptcy. Very little of the red construction equipment was loved by the user or owner, even after it changed names (Dresser). Light trucks never could be made profitable, although a good, sometimes great product. And they never really went big overseas. A company of their size and stature should of made it, but a near perfect storm of strike, the economy, and lack of a clear direction from the top took it down. And has allowed mother Deere to become quite haughty and full of herself.

Sad but true. The only division of IHC that stayed above water and that continues to survive is the MD/HD truck line (Navistar/ITEC-International Truck and Engine Co, or whatever they're calling themselves now). The AG, Construction, and Light Duty lines are long gone. Similar fates befell A/C, White, Oliver, and other great American companies. They've all been bought out, absorbed, or gone bankrupt. I don't know anything about the current JD company. I do hope that they (and Cat) can stay focused, alive, and well and not be bought out or bankrupted by the Indian, Chinese, or Korean competitors...

Sad but true. The only division of IHC that stayed above water and that continues to survive is the MD/HD truck line (Navistar/ITEC-International Truck and Engine Co, or whatever they're calling themselves now). The AG, Construction, and Light Duty lines are long gone. Similar fates befell A/C, White, Oliver, and other great American companies. They've all been bought out, absorbed, or gone bankrupt. I don't know anything about the current JD company. I do hope that they (and Cat) can stay focused, alive, and well and not be bought out or bankrupted by the Indian, Chinese, or Korean competitors...

Fort Wayne, Indiana will never be the same. Neither is Rock Island, both sites of major factories of IH for a long time. Deere and Cat are doing well, as much of their little beasts now are being built overseas by the same factories producing their "competition". And unions have seen too many strong armed corporations fall to the wayside and have realized the company might not always be there to rape and pillage. Both feature pretty remarkable parts systems-they should for the prices charged. Both got out front and stayed there by doing what was best for the customer; now they seem to be doing the customer in the best way for them.

Though they are hardly alone in that sentiment; it seems even government has adopted that business model.

[video=youtube;vPkeOOd9Llo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPkeOOd9Llo[/video]

Jeff, what do you do? I like my 806's ball of yarn primary filter that lets me dump in 5 gallons of strained fyer oil. I made 270 4.5x4 round bales and chewed up **** that would have made an over road truck driver puke. Don't pick on my 806.
Come on Old Tuffy.

Deere dealers kid was over by my friends with the IH in the bathroom floor tile and asked how come the Magnums always fade out when the Deeres stay so nice. Magnums are out in the hot sun working while the Deeres are in the shade of the shop. He didn't have nothing.

One winter I had a Nowegian tool and die maker help me hardface and grind the shifting parts to my pugly 806, so before you talk, my old girl has had a stitch or 2 put in.

Nice that I can have a little guy that looks like an extra from Hogan's Hero's make my IH work after I remove a few covers where a Deere you need to gut out like a fish.

Back