Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool!

Just going by the muffler outlet plate with the four screws you have a 82cc Remington. PL/SL-55.

Outside chance it could be a PL/SL-6 or 7. 94 cc.

Report weather the muffler body is bolted to the cylinder or is part of the cylinder casting.

I can fix you up with a PL/SL-55 crankcase/fuel/oil tank if you want to make a real saw out of that.

Cool!

Just going by the muffler outlet plate with the four screws you have a 82cc Remington. PL/SL-55.

Outside chance it could be a PL/SL-6 or 7. 94 cc.

Report weather the muffler body is bolted to the cylinder or is part of the cylinder casting.

I can fix you up with a PL/SL-55 crankcase/fuel/oil tank if you want to make a real saw out of that.
If I get it id love to clean it up n run it like it is! Never seen one before in my life!

Im dusting off my dads remington PL-55a. Im trying to see if there is any parts floating around with some of you collectors. I want to restore it to almost new condition for him. I have done some research with little luck on finding a running video or anyone with parts. Does anyone know what the "a" stands for?

Im dusting off my dads remington PL-55a. Im trying to see if there is any parts floating around with some of you collectors. I want to restore it to almost new condition for him. I have done some research with little luck on finding a running video or anyone with parts. Does anyone know what the "a" stands for?

Automatic as in automatic oiler. And, I can just about gurantee it will suck bar oil due to a failed check valve.

Jim: Notice the muffler outlet/plate.

IMG_0287 (Copy).JPG IMG_0288 (Copy).JPG

So I tore apart the remy and started cleaning it up. I will def. need to replace the gaskets and I think I should go ahead and replace the crank bearings and seals too. To help in the quest for gaskets and parts is their similar models that will use the same gaskets as the pl-55a...obviously the pl-55 will. But what about the pl-5? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Awesome! Thanks 67L36Driver. Im gonna start my search for parts! The ipl will def come in handy because I think Im missing a washer/shim for the crank and in the clutch assembly. Got some side to side movement on the crank when its installed

Cliff uploaded these sometime back and I snatched them up before they got lost in the æther.

Chris B.

Thanks for posting these. I picked up a Pro 88 over the weekend. Someone painted the whole thing green - thought is was a John Deere at first. It's great to have pics while tearing one down.

Awesome! Thanks 67L36Driver. Im gonna start my search for parts! The ipl will def come in handy because I think Im missing a washer/shim for the crank and in the clutch assembly. Got some side to side movement on the crank when its installed

There will be some endplay. How much is too much is the question.

There is a Torrington roller thrust bearing and hard washer on each side of the crank. Measure endplay before disassembly.

Thanks Chris. I had an original and was trying to get Carl a copy.

Anyone have a source for an OMG gilmer belt. It's the drive belt. As far as I can tell, looking for 1" x 20" 3/8pitch.

I should have some new bearings and seals for a PL-5 I'm restoring here by the weekend( I hope). I'll cross check the numbers with a PL-55 and post them up. There were easy to find at my local bearing supply shop(Motion Industries).

Anyone have a source for an OMG gilmer belt. It's the drive belt. As far as I can tell, looking for 1" x 20" 3/8pitch.

'Gilmer' is a holdover from the very early days of timing belt drives. More accurately they are normal industrial timing belts made by Dayco, Goodyear etc. Check your local industrial drive dealer. May be in luck and find it is a standard size (length, width, and # of teeth).

I fixed my G.F.'s electric lawnmower by sourceing a standard belt. Cute little thing, the G.F. and the twin blade lawnmower/floor polisher.

Married to her 35 years now.

'Gilmer' is a holdover from the very early days of timing belt drives. More accurately they are normal industrial timing belts made by Dayco, Goodyear etc. Check your local industrial drive dealer. May be in luck and find it is a standard size (length, width, and # of teeth).

I fixed my G.F.'s electric lawnmower by sourceing a standard belt. Cute little thing, the G.F. and the twin blade lawnmower/floor polisher.

Married to her 35 years now.

Way to go for 35 years Carl!

Yeah, I've tried sourcing. Close as I can get is 22.5". Looks to me like the 20" is an odd ball lenght:(

If I was still working, I could just look in the industrial products library we had in the office. We had plenty of catalogs on drive trains and parts.

Bet I could even find the steel rings that are used in Pioneer P-40/41. Retaining ring if I ever saw one.

You could try this company. I have not bought anything from them but the might be able to help you.

. F.N.shappard Belt Co at 1800-733-5773 ,ask for Customer Service.

There will be some endplay. How much is too much is the question.

There is a Torrington roller thrust bearing and hard washer on each side of the crank. Measure endplay before disassembly.

Well I didnt measure when I disassembled, but I did notice that I was short a bearing race washer on the one side. The closest side to the clutch. In the ipl is shows having one on each side.

I should have some new bearings and seals for a PL-5 I'm restoring here by the weekend( I hope). I'll cross check the numbers with a PL-55 and post them up. There were easy to find at my local bearing supply shop(Motion Industries).

Thank you! I have found a few on ebay and Im currently trying to cross reference those between model remington saws. I just cant seem to get I.D and O.D of the washers before I bid.

Oh, And the bearings and seals will be nice to if you can get me a set?? TIA!!

Well I didnt measure when I disassembled, but I did notice that I was short a bearing race washer on the one side. The closest side to the clutch. In the ipl is shows having one on each side.

I can send you one if you like. I've junked out more than a few Remys.

And, the p.t.o. side cover gets just the large 'O' ring and not a gasket.

Latest posts

Back