remove limbs from immense hackberry tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Weber

Reaction score
Good day to everyone. I’m glad to have found this resource. My question concerns an immense Hackberry tree in the yard of a house we purchased 4 years ago. It was leaning at the time of purchase and continues to lean the same amount. Until several years ago, a similar sized tree grew only a few feet away (the rotted stump remains). Would the close proximity have caused the remaining tree to have grown at an angle? The tree is leaning away from the house so if it does ever fall it won't hit the house. However there are a couple of huge limbs growing horizontally out on the side the tree it is leaning toward. I’m worried this may aggravate the possibility the tree may fall because of the added weight and want to know if it would be wise to remove those limbs. There are no projecting limbs on the other side to counteract the weight. All the limbs on that side grow vertically. I assume this is because of the matching tree that was removed from that side. Anyway, I desperately want to keep the tree as it shades the house in the summer on the south side but don’t mind removing the limbs in question if it will help my situation. Thanks, Mike

Leaning hackberry

Mike-Please post some photo's of the tree it will help us evaluate the tree much better and therefore give you a much better reccomendation.

Thank you all for your input. As far as I know the tree has never had limbs removed. Looks like the consensus it not to remove the limb but to prune the tree. Do you mean overall or just on the one limb and heavy side? Do you think the tree is leaning because of a like sized tree growing just a few feet away or is something else causing it to lean?

formationrx I keep trying to reply to your PM but never show anything in my messages sent folder. If you didn't get my thanks for your PM let me know.

Back