Removing stuck MS460 clutch drum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently got my first "project saw", an MS 460. It is dirty, the cylinder is off and the engine seemed to be locked (presumed bearing failure). To my surprise, the P&C look good.

However, as I was taking it further apart, I believe the problem may be just the clutch bearings, as the clutch is not sitting flush, and will not easily come off even after the clip and washer have been removed. I did get it to move back & forth slightly with a pair of channel locks on it, but it does not want to come off.

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove it w/o breaking anything?

Thanks.

I just went through the same thing with an 039. Make sure the chain brake is off, and use them vise grips. Mine had part of a clutch retainer (1127-162-3000) jammed between the sprocket drum and the housing which was the problem. Make sure to inspect the clutch, the bearing, oil pump and oil pump spring.

Sounds like we have a terminology issue hear. If you are having trouble getting the clutch drum off, and the chain brake is not set, you are going to have to just keep working at it. They will wiggle off eventually. The really tough ones will have a ring of old dried oil and sawdust that forms on the inside of the clutch drum that locks it on. A big pair of vice grips will usually wiggle it off. In extreme cases I have had to have an assistant put a c-clamp on the clutch drum spur, holding the saw up in the air over some padding, and I'll hit the end of the crank stub with a hammer and punch.

there are many times where a brake band will get bent and make it damn near impossible to get them off bare handed or as Doug said, a ring of crud on the outer portion of the inner clutch drum. seen the bent bands on new saws off the shelf too. as said earlier, vice grips and some wiggling. oh and mike, if you are completely disassembling this saw good luck getting that clutch off without a top end on it :p :givebeer:

I did check to make sure the brake was off, but like I stated, the clutch drum is not flush, so I think it is still holding it.

I thought of vice grips, or using a vice and forcing the saw up, but may try a C clamp idea.

Pretty sure from the angle of the clutch drum the bearings are shot.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. There does not seem to be a way to grab it w/o being on one of the spurs.

Mike. You do not have to clamp the vice grips on with as much force as you can. Just bite on where the rim goes on. Couple marks ain't gonna hurt anything. You should see some of the fallers saws out here lol. Also if the band is bent you would be surprised how just it touching the drum lightly will make it much more difficult to remove. Been there done that.

Remember, this is a Shihl, internal clutch, the sprocket is the only place you can grab it.
Mike have you soaked it with Kroil or PB blaster or some other ? Try that fo a few days then take some heat to it. It will come off...it was put on it can be taken off. :)

I will try that, thanks.

Remember, this is a Shihl, internal clutch, the sprocket is the only place you can grab it.

I will try that, thanks.

that's why you vice grip it right on the rim splines. don't be such a damn PSP mike lol. vice grip that thing and rip it off of there. the funny thing is i've had this happen many time and the longest it ever took me to get them off was maybe 30 seconds. don't worry about that drum, a few marks from a vice grip isn't gonna hurt a damn thing. only thing is a PSP will have to replace the drum knowing those marks are there even if that drum will last another 2 years.

Latest posts

Back