Removing stuck MS460 clutch drum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Randy, and for the advice.

Took some work to get it to operate, but some of it was because the shop (or client) had removed the cylinder. Not sure why anyone did that, I would have inspected through the muffler, then started external disassembly.

MYSTERY SOLVED, Randy, you were spot on, and thank you to everyone for your help & advice.

We put some oil in it this morning to confirm the oiler is working (and it is), then we shut her down and removed the clutch (much easier to do with the cylinder on). The outside of the clutch looks perfect, but the inside, if you look closely, is missing two of the 3 tabs that interlock with the next piece (see the last pic).

We will get a new clutch and be good to go!

And Randy, you thought your work bench was small!!!!!

Attachments

• 460Clutch12-14-15 001.jpg
    460Clutch12-14-15 001.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 75
  • 460Clutch12-14-15 002.jpg
    460Clutch12-14-15 002.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
  • 460Clutch12-14-15 003.jpg
    460Clutch12-14-15 003.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
New clutch should have been on that thing by 1pm. Where are the pics of that thing putting in some work? The guy with the 441 gonna end up with this saw?

ive asked for pics 3 times and he only did one set of pics lol

lol my saws dont get cleaned or prettier parts until they show potential

Matt, yea, Chis has dibs on this one, and he helped me work on it. Hopefully I will have another one in the pipeline soon, but I doubt I will be this lucky with it not needing things. We did spend a good amount of time on it though, and Chris & I are both very satisfied with the deal we reached. Judging from the sprocket, etc., I think it was a fairly low hour homeowner saw. (It also had an individual's name on it, not a company).

The guy in the shop owes me some wood money, and I'm letting him pay me with "saws in a box" that they deem are not worth fixing. I'm hoping to have another 460 and a 440 come my way.

None of the local shops have good prices, so don't hold your breath on the repair, the clutch will be shipped. I'm just thrilled that we got it running, it has VG compression, and that the clutch is all that was wrong with it, but we did put a good amount of time into it. I can see why it would not have been worth it to them (even if they had IDed the problem).

I think I stihl have that box of Stihl parts that I bought of spike60 laying around at the shop. I wonder if it has the clutch you seek. It had a few, pm me the part number you need

Latest posts

Back