Removing stuck MS460 clutch drum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not for me! How you doing Chris? Never did tell me what you had to cut that made you climb with that big 390???
I'm good Mike[emoji106] that tree was a huge cotttonwood. 50ft up and i still needed a 28" bar cutting limbs. Changed to a 32" blocking chunks off that were about 60" down to about 25ft then one of ground guys dropped it on the ground with a 395. It was 76" at the base.

sounds like a saw i had here not to long ago the drum was so wore that the bearing wouldnt let it go by pry on that mofo pulling and twisting it at same time is what got the one i had here off

Soak in Kroil
Best dern loosener made. Anything that can loosen exhaust bolts on aircraft turbochargers is OK for me.
Cheap version is %50 acetone, %50 ATF and %50 diesel(the extra %50 is fer awesomeness). Mix a bucket up enough to sit the clutch in for a few days. Mayb an inch or twos worth in an old storage plastic bucket. Then as WC said hang it up off the bench a few inches with a vice grip with a buddy and take a wooden down or a brass pin to the crankshaft while it's off the bench.
Just like a crusty old flywheel. It will pop.

Best dern loosener made. Anything that can loosen exhaust bolts on aircraft turbochargers is OK for me.
Cheap version is %50 acetone, %50 ATF and %50 diesel(the extra %50 is fer awesomeness). Mix a bucket up enough to sit the clutch in for a few days. Mayb an inch or twos worth in an old storage plastic bucket. Then as WC said hang it up off the bench a few inches with a vice grip with a buddy and take a wooden down or a brass pin to the crankshaft while it's off the bench.
Just like a crusty old flywheel. It will pop.
I agree! If Kroil wont creep in there nothing will. Its even a good rifle barrel cleaner as it creeps between the tighest surfaces

A mig welder comes in real handy when working chainsaws, when ya can`t get a grip on anything made of steel then weld something to it that will allow a better grip. In this case I would weld both legs of a U bolt to the clutch drum to facilitate hanging the saw up off the bench an inch or two, then you have two hands to use with a hammer and punch.

Jerry,
What about taking a grinder to a beat up old sprocket and "squaring it off" so you can get a socket and an impact gun on it ? (For those of us who have a perfectly good welder in the garage and no 220 outlet wired in to use it ....don't ask me how I know ...)

I think that would work fine but I just grab the mig every time I can, its so much quicker for me and that little bit of extra heat seems to help loosen things up. I keep a big collection of things/trash like cut off logging chain links and old cable clamp u bolts, bolts n nuts and you name its just to have bits to weld on when needed.

id say when get the drum off there will be a groove wore in the drum from the bearing

Back