Replacement Engine For Older Huskee 22 Ton Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having some trouble finding the correct LoveJoy for the new motor to match the old one on the pump shaft.

This is the existing pump side of the Lovejoy

That's the specs on the new engine.

I've been able to find the L-075 in 3/4" but the keyway on the shaft is causing me an issue.

I'm going to run up to tractor supply and talk to the guys there and see if they can help and if I can order one up or if it's easy enough to change them both out even thought the engine shaft and pump shaft are different diameters. I have no idea if that matters but I wouldn't think so. Figured I'd post this here to see if any of you knew better.......

Nah I'm not sure there's a problem. I was just wondering how excited I need to be about the keyway before I spend $15.

Can't you take the old lovejoy off the motor? I used a gear puller to get mine off. I had to file down the set screw, as it was completely seized. To keep the lovejoy from creeping back to the motor side of the shaft I cut a piece of 3/4"ID pipe to length, tapped it on and reseated the lovejoy. Field fab work. Split a couple cord and no issues yet

I did get the old Lovejoy off but that shaft was 7/8" and this new one is 3/4" so the old lovejoy is too large a diameter to fit the new shaft.

A few years ago I ordered from the surplus center an assortment of couplers . Not sure if they are Lovejoy brand, but the smallest is 5/8'' and the largest somewhere around 1 1/4, but you should be able to couple 1/4'' to 1 3/4''. So whatever combination you need is just a click away, Thanks

Any chance you could provide a link or photo? I'm searching but can't find that

If you do that bushing you have to notch for the key. Also the standard 3/16 key will be too short to safely catch on the coupling.
You could fart around getting the bushing and trying to find a 3/16 x 1/4 key or just get the correct coupling.

Edit. The updated eBay link looks good. The previous fastenal link was what I was talking about. I think the correct coupling is still cheaper than the eBay bushing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! I'm good to go. I drove to my local farm bureau store and had a good long chat with the fine gentleman at the back desk and he sorted me out. Ive got everything I need. Should have the new steel motor mount Thursday or Friday and half a case of beer later Ill be splitting some wood haha.

Not at all lol. At least not from my standpoint. I'm asking a lot of question so I get this correct the first time....on something I have never done before. I'm being thorough and it's going to come out great because of it. Not sure what your life is like but 95% of America's population DOES NOT replace (or worse yet convert) engines haha. This is been an extremely helpful thread for me and others like me will find this thread on google searches and it will help them too. More info the better!

Well all the talk of couplers and wouldn't you know mine just took a dump on my splitter earlier in the day. It was 68 F here today sun shining bright and I thought it would be a good day to get in some splitting, and I did about a wheelbarrow load.:nofunny: and the lovejoy lost its teeth with the ram fully extended and its suppose to start raining tonight.

Tractor Supply should.have a coupler for your new.engine. make sure you take.the old one with you as.there are.various outside diameters of couplers. I think the engine shaft is 3/4 inch but check the spec page for diameter and keyway dimension.
You will be extremely pleased with your engine once your project is completed. They run quiet and smooth and start on the 3rd pull in -15 degree weather and when your done splitting you will not stink like some shi tty old briggs/tecumseh and they make tons of torque and the governor functions superbly...and you can make cheap changes to the carb for a few.dollars.that will increase power torque rpms. All in all you will be dumb founded that u ever.used a.POS from briggs / tecumseh.

Lovejoys area 2 minute change, and rain aint gona hurt your cylinder!! they don't rust or anything!!!!!

Lovejoys area 2 minute change, and rain aint gona hurt your cylinder!! they don't rust or anything!!!!!
That depends on the rod. Some are not chromed shafts.... if it's a homemade jobby, who knows what the rod is. Safe to say if it's nice and mirror like finish, it's chromed

show me somebody who's cyl is a "homemade jobby" that would be great to be able to build your own cyl's.

Latest posts

Back