Replacement saw for a Stihl 011-AVT ??? Questions about NEW MS-241.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spearo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 011-AVT (rear handle) that still runs well in cold weather.
Now that spring is here again, it's not as reliable as I need. Its never liked summer heat!
I have worked on it and so has the better local saw shop.
It's as old as I am. The saw has its quirks ...as do I !

But, that 011-AVT cuts REALLY well.
Originally joined this site to keep this little saw running.
I have pretty much bought my local shops out of their spare parts for it. Felt like a kid in a candy store, when one saw shop found spare throttle cables!

I want a new saw to replace it.
40-ish 'cc' with a 14-in bar, pulling 3/8 lo-pro PS or PS3 chain.
I have several larger saws but use the 011-AVT mostly, on oak and birch, for on the ground limbing.
All of my outdoor power equipment is Stihl.

Stihl MS 201 (rear handle), I can get one for $670 (cash) at my local saw shop. Good shop.
--I really do not want to spend that much, for what will be, my smallest saw.
--Saw is less than 40-cc.

Echo CS-361P (rear handle). For about half the price of the MS-201, sounds like a strong competitor to it.
--None of my local dealers carry it. The better, local Echo dealer will order it as part of the Spring sale: $340.
--My last Echo 2-stroke sounded like a jar full of marbles, following its final run. Snapped rod. It did last 9-years.
--Saw is less than 40-cc.

Stihl MS-241C:
--Found two of them yesterday. Brand new, on the shelf, with a Stihl sticker showing manufacture Feb-2017.
--The dealer whom has them, does not have a mechanic that I trust. (Given the equipment I have seen come out of that shop recently!)
--M-Tronic sounds like something I want in New England, where we have big daily temperature swings.
----Do all of the MS-241's have M-Tronic?
--Discontinued in 2019.
--$520 with my choice of bar and chain.

I'm leaning toward the MS-241.
Is there anything I should be concerned about, now that its 3-years old yet, brand new??
I have no clue what the differences are between a 2017 and a 2019 MS-241?

So, what to do?
Would appreciate your thoughts on the 2017 MS-241.
Will it need a full carb-clean on this BRAND New saw?

...and if you have hands-on ownership time with any of the above
saws mentioned: Please, sell me on a new saw.

Spearo

241 gets my vote every time. Have owned one for 5 years and it’s fantastic. They do come in non mtronic as well. There should be no issues with the saw sitting on a shelf in good conditions, hopefully it was never fueled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do come in non mtronic as well.
The MS 241 was and is only availible as M-Tronic version. There was never a version without m-tronic from Stihl. It`s right that the MS 241 is discontinued in the US from Stihl and NLA, except existing stock at some dealers.

Echo CS-361P (rear handle). For about half the price of the MS-201, sounds like a strong competitor to it.
I have a couple other saws but I use the 011avt a lot! I recently got a 261c I love. But something about the goofy 011avt handle makes it so maneuverable in the brush. Safer then a top handle better reach!

The 201 e-cm looks as close as ya can get. But if I had to replace my 011 today that echo 361p is probably where I would start.

The MS 241 was and is only availible as M-Tronic version. There was never a version without m-tronic from Stihl. It`s right that the MS 241 is discontinued in the US from Stihl and NLA, except existing stock at some dealers.

This is correct I was wrong, thanks for pointing it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back