Round Filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL ..........

I aint as experienced as you in cutting, but I noticed that high rakers and/or a dull chain causes those results.

Are you saying that a chain with a .035 raker will hammer the tie strap and peen it over more than a chain with a .020 raker that gets dogged or pushed through the cut ?
No, I think both situations are bad for me anyway, but the .020 with pushing the cut is probably worse.

So..... I had a rocked chain on the 50" had some time to dedicate to it this afternoon. Put it on the grinder(round) and used the file along with the grinder. First time I thought of that, it's clamped good and solid in the grinder. It only took me two times around the chain, which usually would be four times with the grinder alone.
I would hit each tooth with the grinder and then about three good strokes with the file. I beleive I will be doin this more often!

So..... I had a rocked chain on the 50" had some time to dedicate to it this afternoon. Put it on the grinder(round) and used the file along with the grinder. First time I thought of that, it's clamped good and solid in the grinder. It only took me two times around the chain, which usually would be four times with the grinder alone.
I would hit each tooth with the grinder and then about three good strokes with the file. I beleive I will be doin this more often!
Ive had this 511a for 25 years now and it never once occurred to me to use it as a filing vice. Great call!

Ive had this 511a for 25 years now and it never once occurred to me to use it as a filing vice. Great call!
Same grinder I have.

Best fileing results I've had, no chatter, very smooth with the chain locked down. Hittin it with the grinder first keeps amgles good and tooth length the same too

Same grinder I have.

Best fileing results I've had, no chatter, very smooth with the chain locked down. Hittin it with the grinder first keeps amgles good and tooth length the same too
Lol, I had to run out into the shop to see if in fact there was room for a full stroke of the file after I read your post. Now I need a light on my grinder for that.

Lol, I had to run out into the shop to see if in fact there was room for a full stroke of the file after I read your post. Now I need a light on my grinder for that.

I have a couple of grinders, and also have a chain vise assembly from a NT 511a knockoff that I've been thinking about using for a filing vise, but I think I'm going to have to cut off the back of the unit so I can get a decent file stoke with it. I'll probably also remove the cutter stop assembly but keep it for parts.

No, I think both situations are bad for me anyway, but the .020 with pushing the cut is probably worse.

I file depth gauges by hand most of the time and check them with a DAF, usually to around 5.5 degrees on my chains. When I have checked this with a depth gauge tool, it's usually over .030", and of course it's progressive. Never had a problem and the chains self feed very well. I personally like a little tug on them. When the tugging stops, it's a signal that I may need to touch up the chain.

You can overdo this though. I have converted my MS261 (stock) to 3/8 pitch 16" bar with RS chain, and although it does well, I don't want it too agressive because it will bog more than I like. I'm thinking about a MM for it, but that may have to wait until next fall when I'm starting to cut frequently again.

Put it on the grinder(round) and used the file along with the grinder.
I . . . have a chain vise assembly from a NT 511a knockoff that I've been thinking about using for a filing vise, but I think I'm going to have to cut off the back of the unit so I can get a decent file stoke with it.

I don't file on the grinder due to the limited space. But have thought about using a grinder vise as a stand alone filing vise. I never found the 'dead'/'donor grinder to try this. Was going to mount it through a piece of 2X4, and clamp that in a bench vise. It would be similar to the vise in this thread:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chain-sharpening-mandrel-build.265933/ (see Post#7)

Some other vise ideas in this thread:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/philberts-low-tech-filing-vise.245004/

Philbert

Latest posts

Back