Round length while cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, if I were not on the computer I would be out building the rest of another chicken pen. Matter of fact that's where I going. :msp_thumbsup:

Even God rested on Sunday.

Not many people thinking about tree work this time of year.
Most of the winter i tend to only remove things that fall down and go boom.

What the albino-octoped doesn't realize is that everyone with a processor is laughing at how much time he's wasting with his chainsaw and "johnson" measuring system. (BTW, calling it a johnson instead of a p***s might take more letters, but it doesn't make 'it' any longer in the real world.)

Mr. HE:cool:

Light tap

Have cut enough firewood professionally and personal use , along with being a carpenter for many years to just tap out the log with a light running chain to mark then go back and cut without hesitation. Works for me usually within a half inch .

One time I tried using my johnson as a length gauge... but all the rounds ended up way too long for the stove. :D

I cracked up at this one. Big serious thread with everybody disagreeing needed some humor.

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk

What the albino-octoped doesn't realize is that everyone with a processor is laughing at how much time he's wasting with his chainsaw and "johnson" measuring system. (BTW, calling it a johnson instead of a p***s might take more letters, but it doesn't make 'it' any longer in the real world.)

Absolutely, typing johnson requires 40% more keystrokes....talk about wasting time:hmm3grin2orange:

What the albino-octoped doesn't realize is that everyone with a processor is laughing...

That possibly would be a very good point in another thread... but it's totally irrelevant to this one.
This thread wasn't about processors... the question was how to keep rounds the same length while cutting with a chainsaw.
Processors are expensive; buying, maintaining and fueling one just to supply my personal firewood needs would be a huge, inefficient waste of cash resources... far, far, far exceeding the cost of time spent with a chainsaw. The strong back remains the most cost effective until production requirements become high enough to justify expensive, automated machinery... most of us are a long, long way from that sort of production requirement.

Besides I'm willing to bet hard cash that processor owners are members of a tiny minority here, so only a tiny few of you would be laughing for that reason (but I'm willing to concede that many may be laughing for other reasons).

Albino-octoped... ;) I liked that one.

I wholeheartedly agree with Whitespider. Even though a processor is not in my future at all, my thought process along that line is directed toward the hernia operation I had some 5 years ago. I didn't enjoy it and really don't care for another one. So with the strong back I've had all my life, but I found out other parts of the body are involved in the operation of the back. The back is only as strong as the weakest link. :msp_smile:

I have a pair of 18 inch calipers all my wood is cut within .010 sometimes I fudge a little and it will be + or - .012:hmm3grin2orange:

Well, you're missing the point. You don't have to waste that two minutes so the logs fit the fireplace... all of my rounds are the same length, and I don't waste time marking. Actually, I'd be willing to bet it wastes more than two minutes by the time you set the saw down, retrieve marking equipment, mark the log, return marking equipment, retrieve saw, restart saw... and then you make what? 6 or 8 cuts and it's time to mark another log? Let's give you the benefit of doubt and say your logs are long enough you get 10 rounds from them, so you waste 2 minutes for every 10 rounds... or 20 minutes for every 100 rounds... or 3 hours and 20 minutes for every 1000 rounds cut. Good lord man, that's near half a days cutting time lost for every 1000 cuts... and I'm bettin' you ain't getting ten cuts to every log so the time lost is more than that!

My time means something to me... there ain't enough hours in a day the way it is, let alone wasting half of it.

What kind of trees are you cutting where there are only 8-10 cuts? Unless you are talking about getting a load of logs delivered? Most trees I cut are in the 50-70 foot range and usually not just one single truck with no limbs big enough for firewood. If it takes someone 2 minutes to make 8-10 marks then I would say they are better off buying their firewood because they aren't going to produce squat in a days work.

Mercy.......why not just consider it all good exercise? Till I really have to concern myself with a hernia that works for me. :msp_smile:

Mercy.......why not just consider it all good exercise? Till I really have to concern myself with a hernia that works for me. :msp_smile:

Amen. Any time spent out there 'wooding' is quality time. I'm not out to set speed records. Those doing it for a living have good reasons for trying to save time whereever possible though.

Harry K

That possibly would be a very good point in another thread... but it's totally irrelevant to this one.
This thread wasn't about processors... the question was how to keep rounds the same length while cutting with a chainsaw.
Processors are expensive; buying, maintaining and fueling one just to supply my personal firewood needs would be a huge, inefficient waste of cash resources... far, far, far exceeding the cost of time spent with a chainsaw. The strong back remains the most cost effective until production requirements become high enough to justify expensive, automated machinery... most of us are a long, long way from that sort of production requirement.

Besides I'm willing to bet hard cash that processor owners are members of a tiny minority here, so only a tiny few of you would be laughing for that reason (but I'm willing to concede that many may be laughing for other reasons).

Albino-octoped... ;) I liked that one.

Ah, good sire, it is too totally relevant because...

1. The thread is about "Round length while cutting"

2. You said your way was better because it saved time. My processor saves even more time.

3. You said your way was better because you don't have to keep track of as many tools. My processor is a complete tool all by itself and I've never misplaced it, ever.

4. You said your way was plenty accurate for firewood. My processor makes firewood so consistent you can check it with an 18" caliper;(I exagerating slightly) and it does it faster (see point 2).

5. My processor has measured more wood than your johnson.:hmm3grin2orange:

In summary my point was basically to each their own. You can share how you do it and if it is better others will copy you which is always flattering. But pretending that you are at the pinnacle of speedy wood cutting is giving yourself airs. There is always a better or faster way and what works really well for you is not going to work for everyone. That's how I see it from here anyway.

Is this comparison not a lot like taking a knife to a gun fight? The two or just so far apart how do they get in the same conservation? :msp_tongue:

Pinnacle of speed wood cutting? Giving myself airs?

Sir, I am neither conceited nor arrogant… certainly not narcissistic. I am fully open to a suggestion that would be faster and more efficient… but it would also have to be cost effective for me. Because I make firewood solely for saving money on my personal heating costs, a processor is simply not in the cards… as that would be more expensive that just buying the LP at $2.oo ‘round here.

I will also tell you that a processor would most likely be worthless for the larger percentage of trees I turn into firewood. Have you ever looked closely at a Bur Oak growing in the northern Great Plains? Twisted, warped, knarly, deformed, full of forks and knots… 60-90 degree bends every-which-way, rarely a straight 12-inches on a limb. Even the main trunk will be leaning hard into the north-west wind, in the shape of a rainbow. Red and White Oaks will be better, especially if they are somewhat sheltered… but if they are where the wind can batter them they’ll look a lot like a Bur Oak. Hark maples will have straighter trunks, but once those tops get up in the wind and ice they end up looking like a birds nest. Elms are forks, that’s what gives them their shape… fork after fork after fork. I will say that the ash tree grows straight in my woodlot… but that’s the only tree that does.

So let me ask you something. Just how efficient would a processor be if near all the wood will have to be cut into 3-4 foot lengths just so it will feed through the machine? Actually, I’d have to spend the time to accurately measure each piece to exactly 32 or 48 inches (plus kerf width), otherwise I’d end up with a large pile of but ends (I cut to 16-inches). I’m not so sure a processor would save me (personally) any time… it could possibly cost me time considering the issues described (except the time gained in the splitting). Remember, I cut on my own property… I can’t just snap my fingers and make straight growing trees appear. Heck, I can cut those 3-4 foot logs with a chainsaw faster than I can load them on a processor… And what would I use to load them onto it anyway? Oh, I see, I’d have to buy even more expensive equipment. And who’s gonna’ run the processor while I’m loading the logs? Am I gonna’ haf’ta hire someone? Or do I just let the machine sit idle while I do that? At $20k, $30k, $40k sitting Idle, where’s the efficiency either way for 6-10 cord a year?

And finally, one more question. What makes you think a processor can buck a log into lengths faster than I can with a chainsaw? I mean, you do have the time it takes to feed the log forward between each cut, right? How much time is that? Is it faster than I can make a single side-step? My saw may not cut as fast, but I’m bettin’ the time between cuts is at least 2-3 seconds shorter. Yeah, I know, your machine also splits the rounds, saving a ton of time… but this thread isn’t about splitting is it? The title reads, “Round length while cutting”.

No sir… a processor is totally irrelevant to this thread.
But I’m not so sure my johnson was relevant either. :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Here ya' go, run these northern plains oaks through your processor :hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pinnacle of speed wood cutting? Giving myself airs?

Sir, I am neither conceited nor arrogant… certainly not narcissistic. I am fully open to a suggestion that would be faster and more efficient… but it would also have to be cost effective for me. Because I make firewood solely for saving money on my personal heating costs, a processor is simply not in the cards… as that would be more expensive that just buying the LP at $2.oo ‘round here.

<snip>

. :hmm3grin2orange:

So put on one of these cut-off guides and save those few seconds you spend flipping your saw 90 degrees twice for each cut. Saw on the right has the "Quick Stix", Husky 51 above is a homemade one.

YOu asked for a faster method, there it is.

003.jpg

Harry K

You’ve shown pictures of those before Harry. I thought it looked like a good idea so I made one like yours that attaches at on the bar stud. I used a piece of fiberglass rod from a bicycle flag. It worked real good last winter when I was dragging logs out’a the snow and up into the yard where I was working in the open… lightening fast! But when the snow melted and I started working back in the woodlot again it didn’t work so well. Darn thing was always getting caught on some brush, branches, saplings, weeds and whatnot... and it’s kind of a pain when starting your bucking in the branches at the top end of felled tree. Another thing, if you can’t work right-to-left it becomes useless… and I couldn’t come up with a secure and convenient way to mount one to the left side of the saw.

I still have it though… hanging in the shop.

Oh... and one other thing (but I worked around it), it won't let you lay the saw on its side for refueling.

Last edited:
turnkey4099,

Now that looks interesting.
Wonder if a small laser finder could be mounted like it and just set a beep at length?
That sure would be a cool adon for a saw.

I bet i will see it on HSN one night while I'm drinking one to many beers to order LOL

Latest posts

Back