Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to know the difference between a Dolmar 5100S cylinder and a Dolmar 510 cylinder and can you tell the difference without taking the cylinder off the saw. I have a person telling me my 5100s has a 510 cylinder on it and that it will cut down the power but I don't want to tear it down if I don't have to.

I think the 510 is open port and the 5100/5105 is closed port. If that's the case, you may be able to pull the muffler and look through the exhaust to see if it has open ports. I can check the 520i/540i's that way.

I couldn't tell much by looking through the exhaust port, it was too small to see the side of the cylinder. I did notice that the parts saw 5100s had a bulge cast into the cylinder right above the flywheel which my saw didn't have so I guess the cylinders are a bit different. I cut a little bit of wood with my saw this morning and decided not to do anything with it. It runs so well that I don't think it needs any improvements plus the saw I borrowed had a ruined piston so the cylinder could be bad also, mine looks like new..

I have another problem with a neighbor's Dolmar 510. It wasn't running well so I kinda determined it was either a carb or fuel line problem so I tested the fuel line first. It was a little soft but no leaks so I cleaned the carburetor. Problem was when I tried to put the carb back on the saw, after tightening the bolts I pulled on the trigger and it wouldn't come back to idle position, it stayed full throttle. I could pull it back by hand but it wouldn't spring back. I loosened the bolts and it would come back to idle but when I tightened them again it stuck again. I had this happen once before, a long time ago and that was a Dolmar also! I don't remember how I resolved it back then. Anyone got any suggestions?

I havn`t had that happen but does the throttle rod move freely from the trigger to the carb?
This thing doesn't have a rod, it has a cable which I'm not crazy about. I know I must have something in a bind. I'm gonna let it sit for a couple of days because I have something else going on tomorrow but after that I'll mess with it some more. I noticed it had a soft fuel line on it that probably should be changed, another not so easy task.

I couldn't tell much by looking through the exhaust port, it was too small to see the side of the cylinder. I did notice that the parts saw 5100s had a bulge cast into the cylinder right above the flywheel which my saw didn't have so I guess the cylinders are a bit different. I cut a little bit of wood with my saw this morning and decided not to do anything with it. It runs so well that I don't think it needs any improvements plus the saw I borrowed had a ruined piston so the cylinder could be bad also, mine looks like new..
Pm me tomorrow. I will look at some junk cylinders and see if there is a easy way to tell the difference. I have several cylinders from both sitting on a shelf

Pm me tomorrow. I will look at some junk cylinders and see if there is a easy way to tell the difference. I have several cylinders from both sitting on a shelf
Thanks for the offer but I've decided to run it the way it is. I've had some problems getting these Dolmar saws together and since it runs pretty well I think I'll leave it alone. I can't imagine needing a saw with more power than this one has already.
I looked at a 5100S cylinder at my local Dolmar shop and I think the difference is the S has a bulge on the cylinder just above the flywheel that the 510 doesn't have. I'm sure there are other differences as well.

This thing doesn't have a rod, it has a cable which I'm not crazy about. I know I must have something in a bind. I'm gonna let it sit for a couple of days because I have something else going on tomorrow but after that I'll mess with it some more. I noticed it had a soft fuel line on it that probably should be changed, another not so easy task.

I know cables on the Huskys can give ya fits. Havn`t worked on a Dolmar with a cable so no insight in how they wind their way from the trigger to the carb. Had one Husky that the cable frayed apart inside the sheath that caused a few minutes of head scratching.

I know cables on the Huskys can give ya fits. Havn`t worked on a Dolmar with a cable so no insight in how they wind their way from the trigger to the carb. Had one Husky that the cable frayed apart inside the sheath that caused a few minutes of head scratching.
Funny thing about it is I can loosen the bolts to the carb and it works okay. Tighten them up normally and it sticks. I hate to not have the carb bolts tight because it would have an air leak. I don't mean really tight, just normal tightening for a carb bolt. I could live with it being snug plus a little but it would stick there too. I tried a little silicone on it but that didn't work. The repair manual Dolmar puts out didn't address any of this.

Does the throttle stick without the cable on?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
No, it doesn't. I honestly don't think it's in the cable assembly itself, I think it's either in a bind or one of the pulleys may be rubbing on something. It's not the one in front so I'll have to check the pulley closest to the handle to see if it has something to do with it. I think I have to tear it all down again anyway because I might need to replace that soft fuel line.

I finally figured the cable assembly out on the 510. I guess the cable wasn't going into the black plastic air filter housing straight. There's a hole for it to slip into and this one was going to the side of it, then when you tightened the bolts it put the cable in a bind. You really can't see it from the top, only when you assemble it

What is the proper carb to search for, for a Makita 6421? I know the part number from the IPL, but don't know maker/model number. Please and thank you.

I recently purchased a Sachs-Dolmar 108.
Looks OK for a saw built 1985. , runs fine too.
Might require a proper carb tune up or a new carb kit, she dies when idling for more then 30-40 seconds, but starts right back up on one pull.
This is my first "unseen" purchased saw and the first saw I ever received by mail! :)
I am happy with my purchase.

Some not so good pictures of my Sachs-Dolmar 108 :
DSC02014.JPG DSC02015.JPG DSC02016.JPG
DSC02017.JPG DSC02018.JPG DSC02019.JPG

What is the proper carb to search for, for a Makita 6421? I know the part number from the IPL, but don't know maker/model number. Please and thank you.
One of my IPL's says that one carb version was used up until 2011 and another version from 2012 onwards, the IPL doesn't say which carbs those are though.

The way I see it the Makita DCS6421 uses the same carb as the Dolmar PS-6400 does and the only difference between those two carb versions is that one of them features limiter caps on the H/L adjusting needles - I might be wrong though.

A Google search came up with Zama: C3M-DM11 , C3M-DM11A , C3M-DM11B , C3M-DM12

Again I could be wrong!

Back