Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dolmar choke/enrichener ?

The dolmar 6000i dont have a choke "per sey" but has the twist to the left to start lever that i assume is some type of enrichener..
i remember a thread awhile back talking about it but cant find it..
somebody post a link ??
i got the saw going by priming it and when running turning the "choke" knob affected it not at all.
i looks like the plastic lever fits over a metal piece to turn it but i cant tell if everything is moving as it should.
how to find if it is working ??

The dolmar 6000i dont have a choke "per sey" but has the twist to the left to start lever that i assume is some type of enrichener..
i remember a thread awhile back talking about it but cant find it..
somebody post a link ??
i got the saw going by priming it and when running turning the "choke" knob affected it not at all.
i looks like the plastic lever fits over a metal piece to turn it but i cant tell if everything is moving as it should.
how to find if it is working ??

There was a thread a while back about the injected style carb used on the SD saws, can`t rember the title. I know on my own saws that they are the easiest starting saws that I own, one flip over and they start in a pull or two. I always figured that they pushed a little fuel into the carb throat, others have said that is not the case, I never had to tear one of mine apart to actually see how they work. Now that is saying something for saws this old, they sometimes set for 3-4 months but they start up easily and run really good with no adjustments most of the time.

Pioneerguy600

There was a thread a while back about the injected style carb used on the SD saws, can`t rember the title. I know on my own saws that they are the easiest starting saws that I own, one flip over and they start in a pull or two. I always figured that they pushed a little fuel into the carb throat, others have said that is not the case, I never had to tear one of mine apart to actually see how they work. Now that is saying something for saws this old, they sometimes set for 3-4 months but they start up easily and run really good with no adjustments most of the time.

Pioneerguy600

AHA !!!!!!! something you DONT know !!!!
uh oh,, bummer,,if Jerry dont know,,,,,,who does !! :cry:
guess it's back to down and dirty carb research again :(

AHA !!!!!!! something you DONT know !!!!
uh oh,, bummer,,if Jerry dont know,,,,,,who does !! :cry:
guess it's back to down and dirty carb research again :(

Actually I know very little, only have some experience on saws that I have worked on extensively. I own and run about 7 SD saws but the carbs are so good on them they have never been serviced. I think it was one of the SD dealers on here that could explain how those Si carbs actually worked. I really don`t need to know how they work, they just do and you know what they say, don`t fix something that works. LOL
Pioneerguy600

6000i injection start

As i stated when the saw is running and i turn the lever to "start" it makes no diff.. i would think be like a choke and flood it ??
i had to prime it to get it going first time ..havent started it since but will try later..
been all this morning searchin site and net for info,and found none..
when i turn the plastic lever i cant tell if it is turning what it attaches to.

As i stated when the saw is running and i turn the lever to "start" it makes no diff.. i would think be like a choke and flood it ??
i had to prime it to get it going first time ..havent started it since but will try later..
been all this morning searchin site and net for info,and found none..
when i turn the plastic lever i cant tell if it is turning what it attaches to.

If you take the carb apart you will see it is connected to a cylindrical piston like mechanism that rotates and if I remember correctly it moves forward then back when rotated. I will take one apart this afternoon to see if I remember correctly. If Scott were to check in to this thread I think he was the one that explained how the Si carb functioned.

Pioneerguy600

Tnx Jerry,had that much but i just have a need to know :)
went out noon today,set the choke on,started first pull !!!
amazing..
turned the choke on and off and dint make any diff ??
saw runs wonderfull so wont mess with it.
an air filter and it will be ready to cut wood :)

The Si does not work in any way like a conventional choke as you already know, it also does not affect the operation of the saws much no matter what position it is left in, it certainly does make them easy to start, that is why I have always believed that they somehow injected a little fuel mix into the carb throat to help get that first couple of running turns of the engine. By then the fuel would be up from the tank and flowing from the carb jets. Also the Si was deciphered to mean super injected, it had to be the choke as the engine is not injected, it runs through the carb. I could not tell you how many owners that have stated to me that their saw was fuel injected and would not fully believe me after I explained to them that that was not the case.

Pioneerguy600

"So now Batesville, ar. has a new chainsaw dealer.... Any advice on selling saws or preset tuning on models like 5100 or any info. would be great thanks."

Head south, right past the dirt track, to Locust Grove and have a chat w/Clay Lancaster.

He knows a thing or two about small motors and has a couple of new Dolmars laying around..

The Si does not work in any way like a conventional choke as you already know, it also does not affect the operation of the saws much no matter what position it is left in, it certainly does make them easy to start, that is why I have always believed that they somehow injected a little fuel mix into the carb throat to help get that first couple of running turns of the engine. By then the fuel would be up from the tank and flowing from the carb jets. Also the Si was deciphered to mean super injected, it had to be the choke as the engine is not injected, it runs through the carb. I could not tell you how many owners that have stated to me that their saw was fuel injected and would not fully believe me after I explained to them that that was not the case.

Pioneerguy600

Well,you have given me more info that hours of internet searching and searching this site..so now that you have told me all you know i guess that means it's you and i that that hold the majority of info on this carb ??
IF it does "inject" a bit of fuel,where does it come from ??
if the fuel was that readilly available to the injector it almost wouldnt be needed then.
and what happens when it runs out of gas ?? now an empty fuel system with no real choke thats needed to start a new flow of fuel..
i wonder if it dont somehow let the carb get more crank pressure , work off that somehow..

Hello everyone, i am a new dolmar dealer ,located in arkansas.I just got my dolmars in and they are pretty. Gotta say i love the little 5100s and the way it sais speed right on the saw.I have been in the tree service for about 12 years on my own,having worked a lot for my uncle,when i was younger.
I knew the tree business was something i would not always be able to do,as a climber.So i have always wanted a small engine shop,being fairly mechanical.I opened this place after the previous owner closed.They did sears warranty work and serviced all makes and models of mowers and appliances for 14 years.
When i heard they closed i reopened within 2 months,and started looking for a reputable brand saw to carry.While in the tree service the last couple of years i have been very interested in Dolmar because of their reviews and durability.I was wanting to replace my Stihl 440 magnum with a Dolmar 7900.So anyways ther is a Dolmar dealer 10 miles from here ,where i bought Echo 341 and 300 the past several years.But the Dolmars were always sitting in the back covered in dust and he only carried 2 or 3 models.He mostly just sold the Echo equipment.
So through more study,and a lot of internet research I decided to contact my Dolmar rep. He was aware of the dealer problem,with the Dolmars not being sold,and was ready to do something different.So now Batesville, ar. has a new chainsaw dealer.Dolmar was to be my next new saw purchase,small engine shop or not.Who new that i would become a Dolmar dealer? Any advice on selling saws or preset tuning on models like 5100 or any info. would be great thanks.

Welcome aboard, good luck with your new business venture.

Just make sure they are tuned right. I've heard of the 5100's going out lean, but that was when they first came out, not sure about the new ones.

Well,you have given me more info that hours of internet searching and searching this site..so now that you have told me all you know i guess that means it's you and i that that hold the majority of info on this carb ??
IF it does "inject" a bit of fuel,where does it come from ??
if the fuel was that readilly available to the injector it almost wouldnt be needed then.
and what happens when it runs out of gas ?? now an empty fuel system with no real choke thats needed to start a new flow of fuel..
i wonder if it dont somehow let the carb get more crank pressure , work off that somehow..

I pulled 5 saws off the shelf today to get ready for a cutting job I have coming up. Two were Sachs Dolmar 116Si`s , they have not been started in over a year, they were drained of gas and started until ran dry before they were shelved. After fuelling they took about 5-6 pulls each to get them started, once they started I let them each run 15-20 secs then give each one a fast spurt to clean out the cylinders, they both returned to idler and needed no further adjustments. They have started like this since I got them in 1987.
The other saws were Stihl`s, they started immediately also.
Next I took two Sachs Dolmar 116Si`s that I just purchased a couple of months back and went through them. Cleaned them up some and checked for good fuel lines, replaced fuel filters and spark plugs and made up new chains for them both. They started right up with three pulls each on new fresh mix and each took a little adjustment on the carbs to dial them in. Tried them in wood and they work great so now they will go along on the next job to see how the work out. Now I have 5 good running 116Si`s, bring on the wood!!

Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
dolmar

hey everybody just bought a new dolmar 510,and i know eveybody will say why didnt you get the 5105,(which replaced the 5100s) I just didnt feel like i needed that little extra, for the amount of the difference in money,plus im only cutting firewood to burn and to sell a little. Realy like the product looks good feels great in your hands,nice balance.Cant wait to cut into that big red oak.

hey everybody just bought a new dolmar 510,and i know eveybody will say why didnt you get the 5105,(which replaced the 5100s) I just didnt feel like i needed that little extra, for the amount of the difference in money,plus im only cutting firewood to burn and to sell a little. Realy like the product looks good feels great in your hands,nice balance.Cant wait to cut into that big red oak.

I think this saw will do you very well, they are well made and should last a good long time if properly maintained. Congrats,

Pioneerguy600

This may help explain the Injection Carburetor.

attachment.php

Back