Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wondered about the white death also and the possibality that there are other places that it may be about to come through. Tom

have you considered finding a VERY GOOD welder to close that hole up. magnesium can be welded but got to know what you're doing. prolly would have to split the case to do that anyway. question in my mind is if that saw was so well taken care of how come its got a hole in the case? white death? wonder where else it might be thin?

Thanks to everyone for the replies and information. Good to hear from you again Jerry. Tom

Tom, hate to be a negative Nancy but I keep thinking about Jerry's post. If it was a casting imperfection, the drill and tap thing with some Permatex should work, seen many an engine bock drilled and tapped on old tractors. If its a corrosion deal, I have to believe the bearings would be/have been affected. A donor saw with a fried P/C would be nice in that case.

Its your chicken, fry it any way you want. Wish I could help, or have the problem(saw) myself. Let us know what you did.

Have been following this thread for a while and decided to say g'day. Bought an SD 112 in 1983, still got it runs OK. Since joined by a later 112 excellent condition and a 123 which needs a new coil, have been looking but know how difficult they are to source. Also have an electric SD chain grinder, very heavy duty, bought through the net, don't know how common they are. Would love a 153 or 166 but have never seen one for sale in my region.

Tom

Yea any 144/152/153 parts?

I have a few 153 parts:

Clutch cover it's off of a poulan 6000 but the same cover.

Cylinder top cover

Recoil / starter, rope broke and missing handle but the guts and case are good.

Crank cases with crank, flywheel end of crank threads are broken off.

Tim

Have been following this thread for a while and decided to say g'day. Bought an SD 112 in 1983, still got it runs OK. Since joined by a later 112 excellent condition and a 123 which needs a new coil, have been looking but know how difficult they are to source. Also have an electric SD chain grinder, very heavy duty, bought through the net, don't know how common they are. Would love a 153 or 166 but have never seen one for sale in my region.

Tom

Welcome to the site Tom,
The 112 is a great saw for 51cc's, A coil for
the 123 might be a tough one to find but don't
give up.
I would like to see some pic's of the SD grinder
if you could post some.
Good luck on finding a 153 or 166, They are
hard to find anywhere.
I have bought 166's in your area, So don't give
up on that either.

Lee

Hey Tom,

Welcome,

The old Wacker concrete saw ignition will work, as well as any from a 133/143/309/343.

Them old Dolmars are a bit heavier, a little down on the RPMs, but gladly pull an 8 pin.

Dolmars were always long on the stroke.

Finally got a decent video of the 166.

[video=youtube;OFCvT2ijYK4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFCvT2ijYK4&feature=uploademail[/video]

and maybe the first ever 166 vs. 118 cut off. :msp_thumbup:

[video=youtube;KXkELSxAa6A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXkELSxAa6A&feature=uploademail[/video]

Finally got a decent video of the 166.

[video=youtube;OFCvT2ijYK4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFCvT2ijYK4&feature=uploademail[/video]

and maybe the first ever 166 vs. 118 cut off. :msp_thumbup:

[video=youtube;KXkELSxAa6A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXkELSxAa6A&feature=uploademail[/video]

Looking good Wendel, I see you beat the
Mac 118SP by a long shot.

Lee

As I was a "local" at the GTG, I thought I would be gracious and let Wendell win...

On a related note, I ran a 7900 a couple of years ago at a GTG in Wisconsin and and said at that time if I ever bought another new saw it would be one of those.

I took delivery on Saturday...

attachment.php

Mark

I was just out tinkering with my SD 120si that I ported last winter with the guidance of Jerry Myers and Roncoinc. I love that saw.

Bosch Ignition

OK i'm sure some one knows the question to this but I'm gunna ask any ways.

Why would this not work? For all of our old ignitions. Its form a 070 Sthil

Shed find 166

I came across this saw today amongst approx 100 vintage saws in a collection. It was the only Dolmar in the lot and I was very pleased to have found it.
It appears to be an early 166, without the decomp v/v and different airbox set up to the later saws. The exhaust outlet is different as well.
The pics of the saw are as it stands in my motel room, and underneath the dust and dirts seems to be a pretty clean old giant. I need to find / fabricate a replacement manual oiler button assy, and renes the starter handle, but apart from that it is all there. Compression feels a bit light for one of these saws, so I am hoping the cylinder/piston is okay, and the fix will be a set of rings. I will pull the muffler over the weekend.

Here are the pics of the saw.

Chris.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back