Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted this in the chainsaw thread yesterday, probably better posted here:

Hi all, I'm new to this site, but want help with deciding whether or not to buy a chainsaw being offered to me (pics attached hopefully). It is Sachs Dolmar, over 10 years old, and I can't see where it states what model it is. I'd like to know what it is, whether its worth owning (quality), how many cc's (cause I do a lot of milling), what it might be worth and whether I am likely to get parts for it. So far I am impressed that it started after 10 years of zero use after simply changing the fuel! Very smoky though. Any other comments?? Thanks View attachment 220266View attachment 220267

Looks like you have a McCulloch Super Pro 118 with a gas tank, clutch cover, and recoil from a Dolmar 166!

Steve

220266-img_1336-jpg

220267-img_1335-jpg

I posted this in the chainsaw thread yesterday, probably better posted here:

Hi all, I'm new to this site, but want help with deciding whether or not to buy a chainsaw being offered to me (pics attached hopefully). It is Sachs Dolmar, over 10 years old, and I can't see where it states what model it is. I'd like to know what it is, whether its worth owning (quality), how many cc's (cause I do a lot of milling), what it might be worth and whether I am likely to get parts for it. So far I am impressed that it started after 10 years of zero use after simply changing the fuel! Very smoky though. Any other comments?? Thanks View attachment 220266View attachment 220267

If you haven't bought bit yet where is it so that I can? Welcome to the site. Rep sent.

Guys, should I be hoping its a 166 or a McCullock super pro 118? Or are they almost the same? The bar is Sachs Dolmar, the sproket cover says made in west Germany. I'm pretty sure everything is as it was bought new from the shop all those years ago. I'll buy it anyway, then decide what to do. I already have a stihl 084 for milling (and an 090) but a spare saw can be handy! :D

im awaiting a new heart for my 120si(piston) and am giving it a good once over. well the tank vent hose seems to by missing its tip?it went from the tank around the base of the carb and was poked thru a hole under the clutch cover. my question is just a worm screw at the end(will that work?)and some black fuel line? my 120IPL is currently lost in cyber land somewhere .thanks,dave.

btw i know its been missing something since i got it as it leaks gas when on its side.

The tank vent should be located just below the carb where it plugs into the fuel tank, the vent does double duty as the fuel pickup and tank vent, the fuel line uses one branch/nipple to supply fuel to the carb, the other branch has a hose attached to it that runs up through the bulkhead between the air box and the cylinder but no grub screw is in that hose.

I've got a 143 I got off Craigslist a couple years ago. It's a good pulling saw--it goes through 24" hardwood with a low rumble. ONly problem is I can't get the oiler to work, so I have to oil it as I go and keep my cutting short:( Other than that she's great!

I've got a 143 I got off Craigslist a couple years ago. It's a good pulling saw--it goes through 24" hardwood with a low rumble. ONly problem is I can't get the oiler to work, so I have to oil it as I go and keep my cutting short:( Other than that she's great!

Is the pump worn out, or is the pickup blocked?

I dont know yet... haven't taken the saw apart. I wanted to have a manual on hand--which another member here was kind enough to send me last week!)

Is this an issue common to 143's, or is it just wear & tear with mine (I'm hoping that will give me a clue before I get started).

I dont know yet... haven't taken the saw apart. I wanted to have a manual on hand--which another member here was kind enough to send me last week!)

Is this an issue common to 143's, or is it just wear & tear with mine (I'm hoping that will give me a clue before I get started).

Not a common issue on any saw really but it does happen to all makes of saws from time to time. May be a wear n tear issue or it could be sawdust/dirt in the oil tank blocking the pickup line, seen that about as many times as I have seen worn out oil pumps over a 47 year time span.
Sometimes the drive mechanisms can get stripped out like on the bigger Husqvarnas but only a little teradown can tell for shure. Do a little investigating and then get back to us, we can help you get it figured out.

One place to check once you have the clutch drum off is the spiral drive gear that engages and drives the oil pump shaft. Check the drive gear teeth for stripping and check to see if the drive is tight on the crankshaft and it turns with the crankshaft, in turn turning the oil pump drive.

116SI Year?

:rock:This post may look a little simple, but don't know how to set up my info yet. Wondering if anyone knows of a cross referennce of serial no. to year mfg? Also have PS7900 and Makita DCS510 I'd like do check on.:rock:

:rock:This post may look a little simple, but don't know how to set up my info yet. Wondering if anyone knows of a cross referennce of serial no. to year mfg? Also have PS7900 and Makita DCS510 I'd like do check on.:rock:

On most Dolmars, the first two digits of the serial number are the year of manufacture. The next two are the month. :cheers:

One place to check once you have the clutch drum off is the spiral drive gear that engages and drives the oil pump shaft. Check the drive gear teeth for stripping and check to see if the drive is tight on the crankshaft and it turns with the crankshaft, in turn turning the oil pump drive.

Will do, I'll let you all know what I find out. It might be a little bit, since I'm currently rearranging my little workshop. I think I have enough chainsaws to decorate the walls, but maybe not:) I'll send pics of *that* too!

Back