Saw chain from Home Depot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1) 3/4 x 2=1 1/2 or 1.5

(2) 1.5 x 9 (number of teeth on sprocket) = 13.5

(3) 13.5 x 16000(Shaft RPM) = 216000 inches per minute.

(4) 216000 divided by 12 = 18000 feet per minute,

(5) 18000 x 60 = 1,080,000

(6) 1,080,000 / 5280 = 204.545 mph

These calcs are with the saw turning 8k ( full race conditions) though I was running a 7k chip rev limiter on this day. so call it 179 mph

Rotax

I wasnt too far off.

Thats moving pretty darn fast. I cringe to think of the consequences should a tie Strap fail!

Rotax Robert said:
204.5 mph or 179 mph that oughta make Oregon cringe.

Rotax

Cringe is an understatement!:jawdrop: The reaction is more like when you peer down a 2000 foot cliff. All the orifices close up very tightly and you get a bit light headed.

Seeing as this thread is discussing stretch: there are three effects that cause the chain to get longer.
1) Increase in temperature of the chain causes the parts to grow in length but the parts will return to normal size when cooled back down.

2) Loss of material in drive link hole and the rivet flange due to rotating contact between the two parts. This is commonly called stretch but it is really wear. This causes you to advance the bar to take up the slack chain.

3) Dynamic forces on the chain during full speed operation can be enough to lengthen the chain. Once the chain is stopped and the forces eliminated the chain comes back to its original length. This is were Rotax Robert and his Predator push the limits of the chain. There are several dynamic effects present. One is the force generated on the chain parts as they round the bar tip. A single cutter (on the Predator at 204 miles an hour) exerts around a 450Lbs force on the chain as it rounds the bar tip. The chain length increases at full speed as evidenced in the previous pictures where the chain is obviously OUT OF and ABOVE the bar groove on the top of the Predator bar. Any cutting technique that causes the bar tip to move could result in a thrown or broken chain.

Last edited:
Oregon Engineer said:
Cringe is an understatement!:jawdrop: The reaction is more like when you peer down a 2000 foot cliff. All the orifices close up very tightly and you get a bit light headed.

Seeing as this thread is discussing stretch: there are three effects that cause the chain to get longer.
1) Increase in temperature of the chain causes the parts to grow in length but the parts will return to normal size when cooled back down.

2) Loss of material in drive link hole and the rivet flange due to rotating contact between the two parts. This is commonly called stretch but it is really wear. This causes you to advance the bar to take up the slack chain.

3) Dynamic forces on the chain during full speed operation can be enough to lengthen the chain. Once the chain is stopped and the forces eliminated the chain comes back to its original length. This is were Rotax Robert and his Predator push the limits of the chain. There are several dynamic effects present. One is the force generated on the chain parts as they round the bar tip. A single cutter (on the Predator at 204 miles an hour) exerts around a 450Lbs force on the chain as it rounds the bar tip. The chain length increases at full speed as evidenced in the previous pictures where the chain is obviously OUT OF and ABOVE the bar groove on the top of the Predator bar. Any cutting technique that causes the bar tip to move could result in a thrown or broken chain.

Im going to step way out on a limb here, and guess that throwing a chain at 204mph would suck a little...

Losing a chain at 204 mph would be no problem, Oregon engineer explained along with some great videos some time ago how when a chain breaks how it can go supersonic much like a bull whip.

I'll try and find the link

Rotax

Rotax Robert said:
Losing a chain at 204 mph would be no problem....Rotax

He's baiting me here.

If a chain breaks and a chain shot occurs the speed has been measured at 8 to 10 times the chain speed just before the break. Translation - a 3/4 pitch drive link and 2 tiestraps coming at you with a speed near Mach 3. BIG BIG BIG HOLE!

He's baiting me here

No sir, I am not. In fact I think they ought to call me Oregon chain test engineer instead of Rotax Robert. Yes we push it to extreem limit, but as always NOBODY is in front or behind the saw when we run and the saw is ALWAYS pointed in a safe direction with a backstop. In truth the two safest people on the planet are me and my co-pilot, its everybody else thats in harms way when we fire the Predator off. Sorry I derailed your thread though. Just keep making me some more chain.

Rotax

hi rotax,

I couldn't help but notice that neither the pilot nor the copilot of that saw are wearing hearing protection.

I would imagine a v-8 like that with straight pipes would be very loud.

hope you guys don't go deaf soon.

Did some shopping at the Home Depot today. All there bars and chain have the brand name power source or somthing like that but all the tie straps are stamped carliton. Just an observation i made

Jonsered Rep said:
Did some shopping at the Home Depot today. All there bars and chain have the brand name power source or somthing like that but all the tie straps are stamped carliton. Just an observation i made
Thanks,
The HD here in Portland had the Carlton in the front boxes and the chain stamped with the 3 interconnected loops in the boxes behind. First in, first out inventory system. The Portland store is transitioning to the chain stamped with the 3 interconnected loops.

Home Depot Chain

Just wondering if anyone has tried the Home Depot chain, if so, how did it worked? The picture below shows the logo on the tiestraps.

attachment.php

Some Home Depot shoppers have sent in the chain to our service department with a warranty claim.

Just wondering if anyone has tried the Home Depot chain, if so, how did it worked? The picture below shows the logo on the tiestraps.

Some Home Depot shoppers have sent in the chain to our service department with a warranty claim.

No need for a second thread on this. It's now merged with your previous one.

attachment.php

I was sure I had seen that emblem before, :bang: then it struck me to fill it it and low & behold there it was (米老鼠) Chinese for Mickey Mouse! :ices_rofl:
:clap:

Here in Central KY the local HD rental just received the OOO chain to put on the rental saws. The one I saw was a 3/8 LP .050 that they put on the Makita electric saw they rent out. To me it looked cheaper quality althoug it was still in the unopened plastic back. The rental saw on the shelf still had the carlton chain on it. I didn't check what the 6401's had on their bars.

Sorry but no input on performance. The HD rental guy puts a new chain on each time it is rented so they will be pretty useless as far as performance goes.

Latest posts

Back