Saw Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_marine

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Always wondered what others ran. I cut 99% hard wood and run woodland pro skip tooth 3/8 .050 on all but my 32" bar. It is oregon 3/8 .063. So what are you running?

Ray

i use all stihl products and i like to use .375x.063 semi skip chains. (rslhk) im pretty sure is what stihl calls it

I run woodland pro full comp semi chisel 3/8 063. most of the time, woodland pro .404 skip semi chisel on my 084.

For my felling saws, 3/8 x .050, across the board. Oregon or Woodland pro. 20" bar, full comp. 24" bar full comp on hardwood, full skip in softwood (Cottonwood, Pine). 36" bar, full skip all the time.

My 084 is .404 pitch, full comp in 24" & 36", full skip on the 60"

Ed

Chain Type

On up to 28" bars, I run full complement, 3/8, full chisel, 50 gauge. On 36" and up I run 63 gauge, 3/8, full chisel, full skip. All Stihl chain. I only sharpen these chains square on a machine (Simington) and never ever sharpen in the woods. Every sharpening I also check depth gauge height, and if too high I lower with the Silvey depth gauge machine, which is superbly accurate and quick. I've used many other brands of chain and I think Stihl is the best chain.

hey, terry l , nice to see a some one from dullass to.lol. sorry for the hi jack.

Last edited:
Heck its full skip 63 gauge all the time for me big wood small wood hard or soft i just change rakers thats all soft goes deeper and hard a little shallow

Depending on the saw use alot of Woodland Pro full comp 3/8 .50 and .63.
On the little 346 I use .325 semi chisel woodland pro or Oregon.

I do buy a loop of Stihl if I'm in a bind, but have had excellent results with hand filed Woodland Pro. It dosen't seem like I can ever get it quite as sharp as the Stihl but I'm cutting firewood, not racing the clock. It seems like the WP will last longer than a similar Stihl chain.

The fleet at work gets 3/8" .50 Stihl semi-chisel full-comp on all bars up to 32", where it goes to full-skip round chisel. I'll switch the bigguns over to square chisel when I get a grinder for it.

Home collection is a motley assortment of most everything, though the majority is 3/8" something-or-other.

chain

.063 3/8 Stihl full comp for everything. Even the 880 with the 50". The Stihl is harder and more time consuming to grind, but for me, the end result is more desirable.

It all depends on the saw I'm running and the timber I'm working in .
Most of my time has been running Full comp 3/8s Stihl chisel.
But I've always been the odd man on the job . I'm a bit of a non-comforist . As of late I've been running Oregons 68 series 404 . I really like how it feels and cuts in the bigger stuff . I have been trying to find a few 32 inch loops of full comp to try out and to see if my saws will pull it with the angles I have set up on my grinder .

On my 2100's I ran .404/063 Full skip chisel. Anything smaller always got 3/8th/50 Full skip chisel. On my 372 I'm running 3/8th.063 full skip chisel since Madsens only had the lightweight Oregon bar in .063.

Back in the day I used the 404 Charlton chain. When you compared it to Oregon chain it had bigger tie straps. Never used Full comp Oregon chain in 404. Mostly the 52 full skip chisel stuff, or the 27A round tooth stuff if I was bucking dirty blow down stuff.

I run 3/8 50 full comp on my 20" and 25" stihls.. Like the Stihl chain, and use it for the most part, but once in a while will use Oregon or Windsor, kind of like the Windsor chain.. Recently went to a 30" bar on my 066, what would the advantage be to run semi-skip, or full-skip? Less to sharpen on a longer bar, but dont mind extra sharpening if it might a effect my cutting......

It was always my personal preference to run full skip, but my short bars started at 32", well I did run 30" on my old 480 Husky's but still used full skip. I don't see that it would hurt your cutting at all, but I don't have much experience cutting hardwoods like I'm assuming you do. An 066 with a 30" bar would have no problems pulling full comp, semi, or full skip;)

I buy spools of Stihl 3/8" - .050 - Full Skip - Semi Chisel, and that is used on everything from 260-660's (All modded/ported) and the bars are from 20"-28". All hardwood.

Rakers are filed to FOP heights so everyone is running similar with the timber cutters making slight modifications to their raker heights as they please from the FOP height, which they are finding isn't so neccessary.

That is what we use,

Sam

Latest posts

Back