saw choices- MS362 vs MS461?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipster

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi, I'm upgrading to either a stihl MS 362 or a 461.
Most of my work is hardwood eucalypt (grey and yellow box), 10-18 inch diameter ,and mainly limbing and crosscutting, not much big falling( I'm still wary, but want to work up to it,with some expert instruction)

The 362 feels a bit lighter in the shop, but not a huge difference to the 461,however,I'm wondering how much that little bit of extra weight will begin to take its toll during a long day of cutting.

Is the extra power of the 461 justified by the trade off in weight,and do i need that extra power?

eventually,i want to run two saws, either a 362 and something bigger, or a 461 and something smaller (ummm,i may have just answered my own question,duh, get them both!)
A very experienced chainsaw bloke i know runs the 461 and the 362 and reckons its a good combo, what do others think?

I'm leaning towards getting the 362 now, then maybe a bigger saw later, but a little voice keeps yelling
" No! Get the big one, more power! More vrooom! More credibility! size does matter, etc etc"

Anyone have any advice for a conflicted saw shopper?

For a one saw plan, a 60cc saw is hard to beat.
I had always done the 70cc(ms460)-50cc(ms261)set up until a couple of years ago when I decided I wanted a Husq 562 (60cc). I didn't need the 562 but that's irrelevant.
Now, the 562 is the saw I use 90% of the time.
I still need need and use the 460 but the 261 spends a lot of time sitting.
Most of what I do is bucking logs for firewood. If I had to spend a lot of time limbing, I'm sure the 261 would get a lot more run time.

I have an MS251 (wife's saw), 261, 361 and 461. As you said, the weight difference in the shop isn't much, but over several hours it does add up. I'm a weekend warrior and desk jockey during the week. I definitely prefer the lighter saws (261 and 361) of they will get the job done. I only reach for the 461 when I need big power. However, with your Eucalypts in the 10-18" range, you may prefer the power of the 461. It's up to you.

Thanks for all your advice folks, took the plunge and got a really good deal on a 362 from a Ballarat Stihl dealer.
I went for the lighter saw,as I'm pretty small,and not that experienced as an operator,and the deal on the 461 was nowhere as good.
used my mobile and rang a lady i know who is after a small saw and sold her the 251 over the phone.
Then,as i was driving home, a buddy of mine rang and offered me two older stihls,an 038 magnum and an 044 dirt cheap(like 150 each!)
they were his fathers,both have been well used,but both run and have good compression.
I couldn't say no, as i had just sold the 251 for more than what the 038 and the 044 would cost me. What a day!
Thanks again to both the helpful folks here,and the occasional universe synchronicity that somehow works out.

Latest posts

Back