saw choices- MS362 vs MS461?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
agree 100%.:yes: 357, 359, 2156, 2159, 2258, 2260, 555, 562xp, and lets not forget the 262xp:D in the 60cc range.

In his case with an 044 and 046 , i would have bought a 261/346/550 or the red ones..or even a 241/421..theres just so many better companions for 70 cc saws..if you just collect/polish thats cool too to each is own..but if your buying chain saws to use and your pickin a good combo a 044/362 is as close to useless as it gets..ive tried all of them and not for a half tank of gas either , an 044 and 362 are just waaay too close in size/weight/ and most importantly in the hands feel.

Some clarification, because what I posted has been misinterpreted a bit.

I never recommended the 362/044 combo, but a 362/461 combo would IMO would make a lot of sense, with a 20" on the 362 and longer bar on the 461. For a one saw plan, I would choose the 044.

The wt difference between a 362 & 461 is about 1 3/4 lbs.

The best that I can determine, from wts posted by people, its a 362 is about 13 lbs, a 044 about 14 lbs and a 461 about 14.75 lbs.

Hope this clarifies things a bit, but thanks everyone for being so quick misread what I posted and bash me.

So your telling us a 362 weighs right at 11 lbs?

To the OP: "don't trust the website" ... instead trust a bunch of biased folks that have an interest in saws and have $10 kitchen scales to weigh chainsaws on!!!!:dizzy: Good solid advice, Mike!:laugh:

Since my degree is in accounting, I guess my math skills are just a little better than yours!

I'm sure, but I think I already got enough knives stuck there!

Mike did you get your period or somethin ? Who stuck knives you in your back , this is an open forum its not like people whispered it in the corner when you werent lookin :laugh:

Theres just better saws to pair up as a 2 saw plan with your 044..thats all..its not a big deal...buy a 50 cc saw with the ones you already have and you wont touch your 362 anymore.

Its the internet mang...chill

Some clarification, because what I posted has been misinterpreted a bit.

I never recommended the 362/044 combo, but a 362/461 combo would IMO would make a lot of sense, with a 20" on the 362 and longer bar on the 461. For a one saw plan, I would choose the 044.

The wt difference between a 362 & 461 is about 1 3/4 lbs.

The best that I can determine, from wts posted by people, its a 362 is about 13 lbs, a 044 about 14 lbs and a 461 about 14.75 lbs.

Hope this clarifies things a bit, but thanks everyone for being so quick misread what I posted and bash me.

my post was not meant to bash you (maybe you were not referring to me) i was just saying if i was given the choice between A 362 OR 461, i'd choose the 461. That's what the OP was asking about 362 or 461....

i'm sure there are saws that compliment the 461 better,,, but that's not what i was talking about, i was making the statement of which ONE i'd choose. But that said i have both........

i must not be a PSP, as I have never polished any of my ported saws,,, sad i have never been a part of anything important :(

In his case with an 044 and 046 , i would have bought a 261/346/550 or the red ones..or even a 241/421..theres just so many better companions for 70 cc saws..if you just collect/polish thats cool too to each is own..but if your buying chain saws to use and your pickin a good combo a 044/362 is as close to useless as it gets..ive tried all of them and not for a half tank of gas either , an 044 and 362 are just waaay too close in size/weight/ and most importantly in the hands feel.

So Ryan, not to nit pic, but in the past you have criticized me for going off topic. The op had asked specifically about a 362 or 461, so why are you bringing in all the other crap? If you prefer a 50 cc saw, then run one, you don't hear me complaining that my 60 cc saw is too heavy for me, but I appreciate your concern.

If I wanted a 50 cc saw instead of a 60 cc saw, I'd have bought one.

my post was not meant to bash you (maybe you were not referring to me) i was just saying if i was given the choice between A 362 OR 461, i'd choose the 461. That's what the OP was asking about 362 or 461....

i'm sure there are saws that compliment the 461 better,,, but that's not what i was talking about, i was making the statement of which ONE i'd choose. But that said i have both........

i must not be a PSP, as I have never polished any of my ported saws,,, sad i have never been a part of anything important :(

My response was not directed at you, sorry if you thought is was. They are both VG saws, but when the op referred to wood up to 18", the 362 seemed more appropriate for that to me. I don't get offended by legitimate differences of opinion, I just get sick of the perpetual bashers now & then.

I have an 026 with an 8-track id sell if mike needs a 50cc :)
So Ryan, not to nit pic, but in the past you have criticized me for going off topic. The op had asked specifically about a 362 or 461, so why are you bringing in all the other crap? If you prefer a 50 cc saw, then run one, you don't hear me complaining that my 60 cc saw is too heavy for me, but I appreciate your concern.

If I wanted a 50 cc saw instead of a 60 cc saw, I'd have bought one.

Simple , because hes buying one or the other and looking to pair it up with another saw down the road.

My response was not directed at you, sorry if you thought is was. They are both VG saws, but when the op referred to wood up to 18", the 362 seemed more appropriate for that to me. I don't get offended by legitimate differences of opinion, I just get sick of the perpetual bashers now & then.
The OP now has an 044 and a 362... It has been suggested that he may be happier with something smaller to go with the 044. Even though the 362 is awesome!!!

Mike, as a fellow AS celebrity I know how you feel... The simpletons are always looking for a cheap laugh at our expense. Don't take it personally.

Since my degree is in accounting, I guess my math skills are just a little better than yours!
Well give yourself a pat on the back would ya? Now lets work on sentence structure and making your posts clear.
After reading your initial post 5 more times I can see now what you did. Oh and thanks for clearing it up.

Geez, it's early morning in Aus, and the OP is going to wake up to two pages of dribble about how the 362 is the poster child for arborist site arguments. After he bought one!

So for the sake of common sense -

Aussie hardwood needs more saw than anything most of you are cutting. 3/8 semi chisel is the only sensible choice for chain when cutting firewood. Anything under 60cc has little use in firewood work as it won't really pull enough chain.
The 362 has great AV, great filtration, and m-tronic tuning.
Let's face it, OP has said he is new to cutting so it's unlikely he is going to sharpening with the accuracy and skill of someone who has been at it for a while. The 362 makes a great small saw in these situations. And he already owns it!!!!!!

Thanks weedkilla, felt like i was starting WW3, or "the chainsaw apocalypse"
Here's what I've decided to do.
Keep the 362, using it for my everyday work,limbing 6-18 inch stuff
Service both the 038M and the 044, buy a 25 or 30" bar , select which saw i like best out of the 038M and the 044,and use it for the occasional bigger cutting,and falling when i get to that stage.
Sound like a plan?

Latest posts

Back