Saw for $350 budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ignesus,
Get the Farm Boss. It was first Stihl and it is still going strong after 10 years.

The 290 will treat you just fine. As far as having to tear down and rebuild, We'll have exhausted our supply of fossil fuels before you need to do that. Welcome to the site.

Husky 350

I've got the Husky 350 and really like it. I use it mainly to acquire firewood. I run an 18" bar on it. Plenty of power and nice an light. Cranks on second pull every time.

962 Efcos are going dirt cheap now...$325 ish. Best saw on the market for the money...PERIOD.

I have a 310 with the muffler modded and am very impressed with it. I would definately recommend it for the price over the 290. the dealer will cut you some slack on price if you talk to him.:clap:

I would get the MS290, if you are limited to spending $350. They have some pro features, like 3/8 b&c and an adjustable oiler. But like Cereal Killer says, your hands will be numb compared to using an MS361 or a PS-5100s vibration dampened saw. The 5100s will cost you more like $400 though, if you can find one. A lot more saw for the money though.

I would stay away from the MS250, as they are smaller, more plastic, no adjustable oiler, and they do not run full size chain. They are also a PITA to work on. They are good for small trees and limbing. An MS290 will fell large trees and I see a lot of pros use them all the time (loggers, tree butchers, and county workers). You can also easilly modify the muffler and richen up the H screw in the carb, and it will have 10% more power. Easiest saw to mod that I have done.

I have owned and run all of these saws for years, except the 5100s. I am Windthrown, and I approved this message posting on AS.

Last edited:
My vote would be for a Husky 350 if you can find one. But my friend has a 290 and he's always praising it.
So if I was you I would just handle both and get the one that feels better to you. And don't forget to compare the dealers too.
I'm a Husky fan, but I'd take a Stihl and a good Stihl dealer before I'd take a Husky and a bad Husky dealer.

That sounds interesting - would have liked to try one......:)

You still can - look on eBay, most folks will ship to you internationally I am sure. I don't know if you have to pay any import duties, but I am sure you could work something out.

Latest posts

Back