Saw for $350 budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igneous

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking to get a saw, it won't be used that much at first, mostly for smaller trees and limbs. I want something that I'll be happy with for a long time though. I was thinking about the stihl ms290 farm boss because that is just around my $350 budget, but some of the reviews aren't great. I don't need a pro series saw though. Any thoughts? I prefer to buy a new saw and not used.

Yup. Great saw. I had a 310 for years and ran a 290 a fair bit. (I'm sure you know, but the 310 is identical to the 290 only a slightly bigger piston.) If I were you, I'd spring a little extra for the 310. I loved that saw and it served all my firewood needs very well. The only reason I upgraded is because I could, and wanted to. Otherwise, that 310 would still be suiting me just fine. Very durable, reliable, easy to use. Maybe a tad on the heavy side for the power outuput, but you have to go pro level to fix that - it's part of the $$ trade-off. And the weight really didn't bother me all that much.

There are some on here that dispise that series of saws, mostly due to their weight. Sounds like you've been poking around here a bit, and have picked that up. I have always thought they are applying their standards/preferences to other's needs. Having been an owner, I think you are wise to go that route.

Buy it and enjoy.

if weight is the main concern then it shouldn't be a big deal. I still have to go to the dealer to check it out though, thanks :)

if weight is the main concern then it shouldn't be a big deal. I still have to go to the dealer to check it out though, thanks :)

The weight, and the engine design makes it a bit harder to tear down and rebuild.

The weight, and the engine design makes it a bit harder to tear down and rebuild.
well, it won't be getting a ton of use, I'd say average would be a few times per month, maybe a little more or less.
Are there are any comparable husqvarna models that I should look at? I always used to use those when I worked for my town during college, and was never that impressed with them. That might have been due to the abuse they got though

saw idea

look at the ms250 it comes with a 18" bar. nice mid 40cc size and if you do not like a 18" bar drop it down to a 14". if i bought one mine would run a 18" bar and and a bore agresive semi safety chain. too many choices. you can buy a saw today and end up with CAD. i know started with two and now have no clue how many i have:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:
:cheers:

weight is one of concerns. the other areas that it takes a beating on are the vibration level (i don't have much else to reference this to, but it doesn't seem too bother me) and the fact that they are some what difficult to repair if you are a DIY (most say the first time tearing the P+C apart is tough). i think that most people who have this series are satisfied with them. i have a 310 that i have opened the muffler up on. it seems to really have awakened the saw. i think for a few cords of wood per year, the 310 is an excellent choice.
i also agree that a 5100 should be given consideration. if you have a dealer nearby or you are not scared by the thought of long-distance service, the sound like very nice saws.
or you could drop 6 bills and walk out with a 361.

I just picked up a brand new Husky 350 for 311.00 delivered from Ebay. Bought it based on reputation and past experience with Husky. Also have a 5100S coming but a little more money. That size saw gets the most use for me. A little lighter weight helps when working above waist level- for me anyway.

2Door

If you really really want to stay under $350 instead of getting closer to $400 and want to consider a dolmar, the ps-510 is a great saw as well. Same build quality and chassis, just a little less speed and power.

MGF

IF, and that's a big IF that only can answer...

If you are mechanically inclined look around for used saws. Dealers a lot of times will have some in the back they've either acquired or repaired for whatever reason.

You'll have to ask, they're likely to not advertise a used saw when they can sell you a shiny new one. On the same hand they're usually glad to get them off their hands.

I was in the exact same boat as you. Looking for a saw and there was a big difference between $350 and $400. (This was considering another $100 bucks for this and that's...count on another $100 new or used within the first few weeks. Chains, files, guides, oil, CHAPS etc.)

I ended up with a used MS460 with a new piston/cylinder for right at $350. Have not regretted it. I would have much rather found a 440 or 310/390 but beggars can't be choosers...who knows, I may have missed the extra torque in these red oaks and hickories.

To date, (about a month) unexpected costs have been a new bar and a new brake band. About $65 worth. A one year warranty is all you get with STIHLs and if you're like me you plan on that being 1/5 to 1/10 of the saws life. You decide how much that warranty is worth...which goes back to how much time you've spent as a kid with a wrench and greasy hands.:cheers:

We used this 310 and a 290 to buck these two locusts. The 046 only came out for the felling cuts and the stumps. They ain't bad as long as you keep a sharp chain on them, and are definitely worth the money. I look so dour in this picture only because if my 361 hadn't been misbehaving I would have been done half an hour earlier and my hands wouldn't be numb.

locust01zp4.jpg

Last edited:
If I only had 350$ and needed a primary saw I'd go for the Dolmar 5100 if I really wanted a new saw or a Stihl 036 if I didn't mind used.

Saw Budget $350

Sounds like what I was looking for - Under $350 and primary use was small trees and limbs. Gets a lot of use initially for 17 acres but no firewood as we have propane stove. I bought a Dolmar PS-401 with 16" bar, carry case, two chains, gallon of bar oil, and 6-pack of 2-stroke oil. Weight was important as was dealer. Easy to start, easy to use, and for my first saw I am impressed. Dealer is second most important choice once saw has been selected. Mine has been great. Enjoy the search!

Small trees and limbs....maybe the new Dolmar 420. Not a 372XP, but the requirements seem to be smaller. Amicks has them for $289. :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back