Saw For Lefties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In The Weeds

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am left handed and noticed that some of the safety features for some saws might make it hard or even impossible for me to run them. Anyone know what brands are "lefty friendly/unfriendly"?

All saws are for left handed operators...you just have to operate them right handed, lol. Seriously though, not sure if there are any left hand models out there. My brother is left handed, I still have to remind him to use the saw with his right hand occaisionally. Running a saw left handed is not a safe practice.

im a southpaw. i'm not a pro cutter, but have cut quite a bit of firewood over the years with many different saws. cant say i ever had a problem. im guessin that normally a lefty would have his right hand on the handle and left on the throttle? if thats the case i guess i run a saw right handed.

Curious why it would be dangerous to operate a chainsaw left handed? The only reason I can see is if the safety feature was right handed. For instance I saw a video of a Stihl where there was a throttle safety button that would probably be hard to hold for a lefty.

Operating a saw on you left side places you dangerously close to the chain - especially if it comes off.

I'm left handed but always used the saw right handed and never thought much about it.

I may pull the starter with either hand but most likely my right hand.

Hmm, I see what you mean. I'll have to start using it righty more, thanks :msp_thumbsup:

From what I have seen, most saws are designed with the bar and chain on the right side of the machine. When operating the chainsaw right handed, right hand on the throttle, left on the handle, the bar will clear your body in the event of a kickback. Not to mention the chain brake would be activated when the saw kicked back/up as your left wrist contacted the chain brake as it should. Operating the saw left handed, left hand on the throttle, right hand on the handle, puts you right in line with the bar if the chainsaw kicks back. Your right hand gripping the handle may also miss the chain brake activation in the event of a kick back. Just going off experience of watching my left handed brother initially grab a chainsaw.....left handed.

Yea I've never been able to see myself run a saw so I never really thought about it much but everything u all are saying makes sense. I'm more or less self taught (I don't think I've ever seen my dad run a saw) and anyone who ever saw me run a saw never said anything about my left-handedness.

I'm left handed, but run the saw righty. One of those things I learned to get used to. Although, I always carry the saw with my left hand, but after its been running it usually results in me burning my left leg (right side exhaust).

I know it is awkward feeling but you will be much safer running a chainsaw righthanded. Keep it up and it will become natural to you. It gives me the willy's thinking about someone operating a saw lefthanded.

Dammitall!!
Been doin' it wrong all this time.

SugarPine1.jpg

Ordered this one straight from Makita. I think it was a demo or something?

184099d1305466939-img_2594-jpg

Another lefty here. I do think it's safer being to the left of the chain, and I've never run a saw any other way. Having tried it with my right hand on the front handle I don't like it -- I think it's actually good having my stronger (left) hand on the front handle. Seems like the front handle sets the angle and needs to shift around a bit while the back hand mostly adds leverage and squeezes the trigger -- not much dexterity needed for that. Might feel differently if I were running a top handled saw fifty feet up in a tree, but the only climber I've had the chance to watch closely seems to be able to use whichever hand puts him in the best position.

Photo0072.jpg

The best saw for south paws is a good ole right hand start gear drive.

That's a nice old Mac gear drive, but it still is a "right hand" saw and should never be operated left handed.

Do you remember one of the first safety rules that your old wood shop teacher taught you? "Never pass your hand over the path of the saw blade". Or "Never stabd in line with the blade".

Operating a REGULAR saw left handed totally violates this rule, as if the saw kicks back, your whole arm, body, and head are in the path of the saw.

Bob,,,,who was an old shop teacher

Last edited:
seems like no matter how I hold the saw i am still in line with the bar , I cut left handed, if i hold the saw right handed feels like my arms are crossed and seems more dangerous trying to cut a way you are not comfortable with

I'm a leftie as well, but just learned to cut right handed. Trying to operate the saw differently than intended will put you in awkward unsafe positions. If you really can't stand it, that Makita lefty saw looks pretty decent.

Best of luck.

Here is a rare lefthanded McCulloch, every bit as genuine as that Makita.

McC250002-1.jpg

I probably did a third of my sawing lefthanded, not just falling and bucking.
A chainsaw with full wrap front bars is made for off hand use. Some chainsaws even had dual oiler levers/buttons for use with either hand.
As always, do what you feel is right for you, but blanket negative statements are almost always wrong.

When climbing trees and removing them. You need to know how to saw
left handed, right handed and at times one handed.
Need to know how to saw in all kinds of different positions in a tree.
Falling small trees and bucking them up, right hand sawing all the time.
Falling large trees and bucking them up. Some times left hand sawing
is needed.

They used to make some left handed saws.

Titan, model 30

attachment.php

attachment.php

Lancaster, model 400 super

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back