Saw recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gab250

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey, I live in country victoria, and I need to gather a bit of firewood, and I also like to go camping a bit. I don't want a particularly small saw, as I find that my Stihl 026 is a bit on the small side for what I want, my dad has an MS290 and it seems a bit better. I am not after a big monster eithier because I have an 076 already. Mostly interested in husky or Stihl, so I'd just like a few recommendations. Ideally I want a saw that can comfortably pull a 20".

Cheers, Gab

Hey, I live in country victoria, and I need to gather a bit of firewood, and I also like to go camping a bit. I don't want a particularly small saw, as I find that my Stihl 026 is a bit on the small side for what I want, my dad has an MS290 and it seems a bit better. I am not after a big monster eithier because I have an 076 already. Mostly interested in husky or Stihl, so I'd just like a few recommendations. Ideally I want a saw that can comfortably pull a 20".

Cheers, Gab

A great firewood saw is a Husky 346xp. I have one plus a MS260 and the HUsky is much better. Other than that becuse you like the "0" series saws an 036 can easily handle a 20.

In hard wood you'll need at least a MS 461 or 395xp to run a 20" guide with semi chisel chain.

MS 290 is little challenged by a 20" bar, unless you don't mind using .325 pitch, then they're okay. 60 to 65 cc saw, MS 311, 391, 362 or Husky 359, 562 xp, any of those.

In hard wood you'll need at least a MS 461 or 395xp to run a 20" guide with semi chisel chain.

Not agreeing with that man!

I run 20" bars on a couple saws smaller than those two and they do fine in hard wood.

I do like semi chisel though.

Cheers, Gab

You seem to like Stihl, so i would suggest a 036 / ms361 with 20" bar for your box/gum firewood.

I got a ported ms261 from mastermind in the US, there's a wait but you'll still save hundreds on new price from a local dealer. It out cuts a stock 361 easily in hard Euc, fantastic filter for dead + v.hard hardwood,18" and has torque by the bucket. I'm well impressed and it's my new favourite saw, prefer it to the 346

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

Any decent fairly modern 70cc saw should run a 20" bar with authority. My 044's and Mac 700 do.

Even a 60cc pro machine will pull a 20" bar, 3/8 full chisel with authority. Keep that BMG in the scabbard until buffalo are spotted.

I don't think you yanks understand what it's like to cut down under.

[video=youtube_share;THgruXAoqL0]http://youtu.be/THgruXAoqL0[/video]

For hard Ozzy gum, the work 395 wears a 3/8 24" as does my 288 and the 88 wears a 32" .404 with a 42" when its really needed. The wood here can be bloody hard and really heavy :(

shooting grey squirrels with a .50 sounds like damned good fun to me, filthy tree rats.

Last edited:
I use a 338 Lapua for squirrels. A 395 with a 16" bar for limbing and waiting on a deal on a 088/880 to run a 20" for bucking.:beer:;)

I use .22lr for squirrels out of a highly accurate custom built 10/22. I do eat them.

346 16" bar for anything under 18" or so, all hardwood.

:cheers:

They tear up bird feeders so I want to obliterate them. :givebeer:

Not really but someone had to recommend the biggest saws out there. :potstir:

Latest posts

Back