Saw Stolen need a better replacement.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How bad is your injury will determine what saw you can handle and for what length of time. You might wrestle a 42" hardwood with a 70cc and 24" bar but how you gonna process the wood? If you tackle the smaller trees then maybe a 50-60cc and a 18-20" bar. If your injury is not that bad or fully healed then you might go full monty and get a 90cc monster. We are gonna recommended all the major brands and all the favorite sizes but you should go to the dealers you mentioned and grab hold of a couple saws until you find one you like and the price point you want and then ask what AS thinks of that model.

A good cheap limbing saw, Echo cs400 w/14" b/c combo, 300 bucks and you won't need the 5 year warranty,,any of the 70cc or bigger saws will handle the big wood, with a weight of what,,?? 13 plus pounds off the tailgate for the big stuff, if you're "just cleaning up" occasionally. 800 plus clams could be salty, for a 70cc plus saw,
like others mentioned, sell off some trees or look in the trading post here...I spent several years with a sub 60cc saw and didn't realize how I was wasting my time until I got a 70cc outfit. The added weight will be negated by the extra power,,take my input for what you have paid for it,,

Ya, that's it.....recommend a $1100+ saw that is over #17 to a guy on a limited budget and has had a spinal cord injury....oh ya add another $600 for a second saw....purfect combo.
thanks much for this post...esp since a efco costs far less, for the same cc's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and on this forum,,if it aint a husky,,or stihl, your immediately considered lower class,,,,,buncha snobs........

Why I asked the OP what he didn't like about the MS290 is that I was trying to get a feel for how it was cutting. We are all aware that the MS290 is not the ultimate saw but many use them regularly to cut mountains of firewood with no issues. Sometimes a new saw isn't going to solve certain problems. A dull chain for instance and I think that is one of the issues here. A "new" chain may only stay sharp for one cut depending on technique, so solving the root cutting problems may be more useful than a different saw. (at least initially)
I recommend the OP research the following topics on here:
Chain sharpening and maintenance
Chainsaw tuning
Fuel system maintenance
Bar maintenance
Stihl saw starting procedures

It's possible with a couple of files, a carb kit and some time, he could be back in good cutting shape. THEN look for a different saw(s).

Edit, I forgot that the MS290 is out of the picture since it's gone. However, the above will still apply to the next saw.

Most bang for the buck in a new saw-Makita(Dolmar) or Echo. Something in the 60 or 70cc class. My personal preference is a 70cc saw.
Makita purchased Sachs Dolmar some time back. Makita saws are Dolmar. I have used Stihl and Husqvarna. I own a 372XPW. Stihl saws are overpriced, Husky saws are better in the price area, but I believe that Echo and Dolmar offer the most bang for the buck. Efco saws offer a good value price wise, but I have seen a lot of mixed reviews on them. Some very good some not so good-do your homework on them. I have never used one. I cannot say, which is why I didn't list them. Personally, my favorite saws are still the 10 series McCullochs, but you were looking for new saw options so the ones I ststed are my picks.

I'm puzzled about the OP's problems with the MS290. Not a world beater by any stretch but should be a capable homeowner/firewood unit.
Hard starting is directly related to the lean setting on the carb. and is quickly corrected by removing the limiters.

I just made four runners from a pile of seven carcasses from a tree service. They had zero maintainence and were scavenged for parts. Despite that abuse they were easy to put back in running order. Now start from cold in three pulls sometimes less. With a good bar/chain they cut fine.

I'm puzzled about the OP's problems with the MS290. Not a world beater by any stretch but should be a capable homeowner/firewood unit.
Hard starting is directly related to the lean setting on the carb. and is quickly corrected by removing the limiters.

I just made four runners from a pile of seven carcasses from a tree service. They had zero maintainence and were scavenged for parts. Despite that abuse they were easy to put back in running order. Now start from cold in three pulls sometimes less. With a good bar/chain they cut fine.

I usually don`t wade into these recommend me a saw threads as we know nothing about the operators experience with running chainsaws and even the most powerful saw won`t cut properly without maintenance. The 290 is not a saw designed to cut 42" hardwood , especially felling a tree this size, its a 20" bar homeowner grade saw that will cut firewood under 20" fairly happily. Trees in the 36 - 42" range are tough on a 70 cc saw, my choice for them would be a Stihl 066,MS660 or Husqvarna 390, 395 range for felling and bucking, a smaller saw in the 50 cc range makes a great limning saw, plenty of good ones out there of many makes. The biggest reason to buy a certain make of saw is availability of parts + servicing dealer if work needs to be done on the new saw and the owner is not competent at repairs on his own.

To be 100% honest look at a 365 new or 272/372 in a used husky or Jonsered equal to keep you in a reasonably priced saw. Stihl will be more $$ but if you find a good deal? 036 or bigger for 25" bar. As you know it takes some power to pull big bars in hardwood. Can't comment on the other brands, no experience with them. I really don't know how you do it with a back injury. Been fighting that for better than a year and just starting to be able to use it again. CJ

My brother got a bad ms290 a few years ago. Too many problems from day one!

If I were in the OP shoes and wanted a 'new' saw, I'd get a Husq 555 or 562xp. Lot of saw, not much weight.

Thank you all for the replies i really appreciate it. I am not sure what was really the issue with the 290 I had. My neighbor (all he does is cut timber) even had problems with it. I was taking it in to the dealer to have it warrantied but it was stolen before i had the chance to do it so i def dont blame it on all stihls. My experience with using saws is limited but im not a total novice to it when it comes to maint and using good/sharpened chain.When i was in the military i did allot of the hurricane cleanups in the past but I always used 20 year old Huskys and stihls and never had an issue with them. When it comes to any of the newer saws I was just at a total loss as what models to stay away from (each brand has them it seems) for what I am needing.

My spinal issue is pretty severe as I was forced to medically retire because of it and has partial paralysis for several years. But with that said I cant afford to pay others to cut for me so I just gotta do what i gotta do, I do it slower and have to take breaks but Ill get anything done eventually lol.

I dont think the weight will be as much of an issue as the time it takes to get the job done and having a big enough saw for the job instead of fighting an under powered saw would be the best bet. At least that is where I am leaning toward.

I am going to write down the models that you have all suggested and take a trip to the dealers here and get my hands on the saws to see what fits me better and report back here on the model. If i can find a good used one then I will definitely go that route.

One final note from me. Look at the top of the page and see which manufacturer helps sponsor this site. Husqvarna? No. Stihl? No. The only brand I see as a sponsor is Efco. Why not consider the brand that help keep this site going?

One final note from me. Look at the top of the page and see which manufacturer helps sponsor this site. Husqvarna? No. Stihl? No. The only brand I see as a sponsor is Efco. Why not consider the brand that help keep this site going?

One question for you sir. Do you own or operate these Effco saws?

Thank you all for the replies i really appreciate it. I am not sure what was really the issue with the 290 I had. My neighbor (all he does is cut timber) even had problems with it. I was taking it in to the dealer to have it warrantied but it was stolen before i had the chance to do it so i def dont blame it on all stihls. My experience with using saws is limited but im not a total novice to it when it comes to maint and using good/sharpened chain.When i was in the military i did allot of the hurricane cleanups in the past but I always used 20 year old Huskys and stihls and never had an issue with them. When it comes to any of the newer saws I was just at a total loss as what models to stay away from (each brand has them it seems) for what I am needing.

My spinal issue is pretty severe as I was forced to medically retire because of it and has partial paralysis for several years. But with that said I cant afford to pay others to cut for me so I just gotta do what i gotta do, I do it slower and have to take breaks but Ill get anything done eventually lol.

I dont think the weight will be as much of an issue as the time it takes to get the job done and having a big enough saw for the job instead of fighting an under powered saw would be the best bet. At least that is where I am leaning toward.

I am going to write down the models that you have all suggested and take a trip to the dealers here and get my hands on the saws to see what fits me better and report back here on the model. If i can find a good used one then I will definitely go that route.

Careful with that kinda talk around here. Next thing you know, you'll have a bunch of guys showing up at your place with saws,splitters,skidsteers. They will get more done in a weekend then you could do all year.

WDO

because,,on this site,,tons of members,,are color blind....drastically....

One question for you sir. Do you own or operate these Effco saws?
Look at my tag line. Yes, I own them. I was also a dealer for them until I closed my shop the end of 2013. I currently work for a Stihl dealer. I have sold and Homelite (back when they really were Homelites), Husqvarnas, Jonsereds, Sachs-Dolmars and Efcos. The only ones I haven't had the privilege of operating much are Stihls. My current favorite saw is my little 132s, which I think puts both the Husqvarna/Jonsered top handles (which I have personal experience with) and the current crop of Stihl top handles, which I only have second hand experience with. My father-in-law likes his MT3500 I sold him more than his 20+ year old Jonsered he has always bragged on. I will put my 152 right up there with any of the mid level saw I have used. That includes such saws as the Sachs-Dolmar 112, the Homelite SXL-AO, the Husqvarna 455/Jonsered 2255. I may not use saws for a living, but having been a rental manager and owner of a rental company I had to have personal experience with everything I sold and rented. If you, sir, have never used an Efco saw, I would encourage you to try it. I, for one, am not a brand snob. I like good, solid, well performing equipment. Efco fills that bill. I would not have invested a large amount of capital to become a dealer, after doing my homework.

Look at my tag line. Yes, I own them. I was also a dealer for them until I closed my shop the end of 2013. I currently work for a Stihl dealer. I have sold and Homelite (back when they really were Homelites), Husqvarnas, Jonsereds, Sachs-Dolmars and Efcos. The only ones I haven't had the privilege of operating much are Stihls. My current favorite saw is my little 132s, which I think puts both the Husqvarna/Jonsered top handles (which I have personal experience with) and the current crop of Stihl top handles, which I only have second hand experience with. My father-in-law likes his MT3500 I sold him more than his 20+ year old Jonsered he has always bragged on. I will put my 152 right up there with any of the mid level saw I have used. That includes such saws as the Sachs-Dolmar 112, the Homelite SXL-AO, the Husqvarna 455/Jonsered 2255. I may not use saws for a living, but having been a rental manager and owner of a rental company I had to have personal experience with everything I sold and rented. If you, sir, have never used an Efco saw, I would encourage you to try it. I, for one, am not a brand snob. I like good, solid, well performing equipment. Efco fills that bill. I would not have invested a large amount of capital to become a dealer, after doing my homework.

Sorry, I couldn`t read your sig line, does not show up dark enough on this portable to allow me to see it. I do own Effco saws, have for more than 25 years, good saws they be until a part is needed. Absolutely no support for them in that respect. Find parts for them online, wait 3 weeks or more for the wrong part to show up. No shop and I mean no shop will work on them in my area. If the OP is going to buy a new saw then he needs to take that into consideration, receiving a new Effco through the mail/courier is all very good but be prepared to wait long periods for any parts and or service if there is not a servicing dealer in his neighborhood. I get by with them because I do all my own mechanical work, getting parts shipped is the biggest hassle with them for me. No matter how well a saw is made from the outset, like all machines they will fail from many factors. I work on, rebuild and restore all makes, they are just machines to me really, each one has its good and not so good traits.

Efco is working to increase it's dealer network. They have partnered with a very good distributor with a large, established customer base. It's the best distribution net they have ever had in the US to date. In fact, if a shop has an account with that distributor they can order part even if they are not a dealer. I found this out even before I became a dealer.

Latest posts

Back