Saw Stolen need a better replacement.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What yall think about the efco line of saws? Is there any specific ones that are worse than others in the 70cc+? Kinda looking like being able to get more saw for the money as compared to other top brands.

I'm probably the biggest (or loudest) fan of Efco. Was a doubter until I really did research when I was talking to the rep about becoming a dealer. He reps for a large distribution company that Efco uses now and has lots of lines that I was using. I trusted his judgement then and still do. Once I got one in my hands, I became a believer. Having used a lot of different saw over the years, Efco compares favorably in fit, finish and specs. A little on the heavy side, but it's more torquey in the cut than a Husky/Jonsered. More like the older Sachs Dolmar 112's & 120's.

What yall think about the efco line of saws? Is there any specific ones that are worse than others in the 70cc+? Kinda looking like being able to get more saw for the money as compared to other top brands.
I think you answered your question in Post #55. Poor dealer support is a deal-breaker IMO. Echo has good dealer support around here, and I see local landscape companies running Echo weed whackers, brush cutters & leaf blowers.

Well the higher tech is what was concerning me a little to be honest. I have not had the best of luck with anything of higher tech lol. Seems to go bad on me or maybe its just cause im so hard on everything or atleast that is what everyone tells me. I tend to run the heck out of anything really but I do maintain my equipment. Perhaps Im just a little bullheaded. Anything brittle and me dont get along very well. Prob one reason my wife is insisting on me getting something with a good warranty lol.

Well the higher tech is what was concerning me a little to be honest. I have not had the best of luck with anything of higher tech lol... Prob one reason my wife is insisting on me getting something with a good warranty lol.
OK, if you're looking for old school in a new saw, you won't find better or tougher than a Husky 372xp or 390xp. Or, if you like the local Stihl dealer better, maybe an MS461 or MS660. Also must add that saws are cheap compared to the equipment you'll need to move & process 42" Ø wood.

Oh i hear ya bud. I have a buddy here who owns the local mill so I wont be doing the processing. Heck I dont even have to haul it which is a blessing.

OP I think it all comes down to dealer support. In my area there is no dealer support for Efco, Dolmar, Solo or Husqvarna . They often have locations that sell the saws but no service.

OK, if you're looking for old school in a new saw, you won't find better or tougher than a Husky 372xp or 390xp. Or, if you like the local Stihl dealer better, maybe an MS461 or MS660. Also must add that saws are cheap compared to the equipment you'll need to move & process 42" Ø wood.
To be honest but I object your above. There are a bunch of manufactured saws out there by a bunch of different companies that will last "forever", with regular maintenance.

Well guys went to the husky dealer and handled a 576xp-W Autotune, fell spikes, tank of gas, upgraded to 4 year warranty, 24" bar/chain ready to go for $925 inlcuding tax etc...
Also a Efco 8200 for $650 24" bar/chain (gotta wait a week to get here)
and last a Jonsered 2172 PHO $725(new).

decisions, decisions...

If your back is still a concern I'd go 2172. Run it for a while then get it ported - night and day difference to the MS 290 you had. If weight isn't a concern 576XP-W would be a great pick.

I might add the 365XP to the bundle. Same saw as the 372 for much less money and transformation to a 372 is quite simple...

Well, when you are retired that means you have more time to tinker. Which then means your cheapest option for getting good pro saws is scrounge up junkers in still "reasonable" shape and restore them.
The question remains is it economically sensible to do even retired? With prices dropping on certain models (f.e. 5020 or 590), the more prevailing question remains will you realistically ever need more saw as a firewooder?

Well was forced to pull the trigger so to speak. Had a tree come down that for some reason had a power line as well as a phone line attached to it from the poll (previous owners ....). Went to my husky dealer and picked up a 576 AT XPW, 24 bar/chain, 4 year warranty, 3 can gas, tank of gas, for $925 including tax.

Latest posts

Back