Saws that surprise the hell out of you.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris, that reminds me, that Jonsered 930 Super of yours suprised the hell out of me!

Never surprised me. Always knew it was bad-ass.

Chris B.

attachment.php

husky 340e. Great little limbing saw that handles nicely and can be had in good order for cheap. Used one as a ground saw for a while, nice little saw to run. This is coming from a stihl man too!

Shaun

One like, one dislike...

Two saws have surprised me... one, my 009. (Please don't laugh) It has made a LOT of money for me, and really cuts well with a sharp chain... exhaust is directed away, ballanced, fairly light etc. As funny looking at is is, it is shorter, and fits in a smaller space in the truck. I do have a problem with it not having anti-vibration, however, as my left hand will go numb if I use it too long, so it isn't perfect. (I ended up putting a foam grip on the handle to avoid that problem). Oh, and you can put bucking spikes on it from an 011 which helps. (It was also free... I traded a curb-find Denon cd player for it - we were both happy)

The second saw was a Homelite ranger (I think). For as good as it sounded running after I worked on it for a friend, it sure surprised me with a lack of power... where is it all hiding? In that really quiet muffler? Sheesh.

(And I'm not just a small saw user... 066's and a 3120xp are my milling saws)

This past weekend at a mini gtg I got a chance to run my homie 8800 and poulan 3400 with a 4000 top end. Both saws were a pleasant surprise. Homie has torque to spare and the 4000 ran strong high in the revs. Both silky smooooth

O ya and sac brought his 5400 and dayton equivalent to the 245A. Both top notch in my book.

I'll tell you another one PS33 Homelite. I did a MM on one and that little thing rips. Also MM his CS400 Echo. Cost me a sale the guy was wanting to buy a MS290 I have.
Shep

Husky 181se. I'd rented a saw a few times to cut firewood, but figured I'd be better to put my money into a saw. Visited a couple pawn shops and one had this rather rough looking (and that was 12 years ago) 181 w/ a 30" bar. I talked them down to $160 and off I went. On a good year I'll cut 2 cords of firewood and have helped out on a few land clearing efforts. I put a 20" bar on it as seldom do I get to cut wood of any reak size.

What suprises me is how dependable the saw is. I got a spare spark plug and a few years back found a shop that had carb rebuild kits for $5, I even picked up a spare carb off of flea bay. That said, I'm still using the original spark plug and the original carb w/o a rebuild. I have had fines plug the pump diaphram in the carb, but cleaned it out and was back up and running. If it's sat for a long time it'll take a few pulls to get going, but typically 1 or 2 and I'm cutting.

I've been tempted to put a 288 jug on it, port it, and open up the carb. But considering how well it works, I'm afraid to mess with it.

I have a few of the highly regarded saws here and love them. One of the never mentioned saws that have really surprised me is the Homelite 300, or CS-50 model. I have four runners, and even tried my hand at some mild port work on one. I'm pretty sure I didn't make it worse.:msp_unsure:

I have a few of the highly regarded saws here and love them. One of the never mentioned saws that have really surprised me is the Homelite 300, or CS-50 model. I have four runners, and even tried my hand at some mild port work on one. I'm pretty sure I didn't make it worse.:msp_unsure:

Really? What suprised you about them? I had one at one time and couldnt get it out of here fast enough. Glad you like em though.

Really? What suprised you about them? I had one at one time and couldnt get it out of here fast enough. Glad you like em though.

I would put it down to the fact that you are probably used to better saws than I am.:msp_smile: I seem to like the ones I have. No problem.

I'll tell you another one PS33 Homelite. I did a MM on one and that little thing rips. Also MM his CS400 Echo. Cost me a sale the guy was wanting to buy a MS290 I have.
Shep

Those MM CS400 saws cut fast for 40cc, no way would I run a MS 290 17-3/4# vs 13# and real close to the same cutting speed. Steve

The Pro Mac 850... wow. Going from a stock 60cc 610 to a mildly ported 82cc 850 was fun... it'll run a 20" bar with full comp and a 8 pin rim.

I am trying very hard to not rush through the 790 project... to be honest, I really can't wait to run that beast. It's first bar and chain will be a 24 incher... I know it'll pull that no problem...

With the port work it's receiving, it might end up surprising many more people than just me...

I was also very surprised by the Poulan 3000 series based Craftsman saw that I got from a friend of my parents... it doesn't run quite right, but it cut like crazy in the short time that I ran it. After giving that one a quick go through, I bet it'll scream through the cut... especially with the muffler mod I have planned for it. I haven't decided whether I'm going to port it or not and drop the base gasket at that time as well...

Don't underestimate any saw... they all have their own surprises.

My Mini Mac 120.....when it finally fires off after 10-15 frustratingly short pulls on the 12" long rope it lights off light a friggin pop-rocket!!!!

Surprises the hell out of me every time!

(saw is for sale btw)

-erik

My Husky 51.Purchase it not running.Replaced the gas line, did a carburetor kit, muffler mod. It has a 16 BC 325, .058. This thing is just an animal.Power all over the place,Starts first tug when warm, has great acceleration.I payed $75 for it several year ago.Ken

i feel my best sleeper saw is my poulan pro 415, very big saw for only 65cc, but runs very very well

Latest posts

Back