Saws that surprise the hell out of you.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i feel my best sleeper saw is my poulan pro 415, very big saw for only 65cc, but runs very very well

Good to hear that. I got one from a member here. Haven't cut any wood with it yet, but am looking forward to it. Almost too pretty to run, but I'm going to. Lol.

Mark, I will second the PP415 being a surprising runner. Very strong 65cc and I have ran a couple.

good to hear from ya mark, just met with chris yesterday, he gave me a heck of a deal on a stihl 051 which i'll be restoring, been into redoing some early stihls lately, keep that 6000 clean!:laugh:

Good to hear that. I got one from a member here. Haven't cut any wood with it yet, but am looking forward to it. Almost too pretty to run, but I'm going to. Lol.

you'll really like that saw, i'll have a very hard time parting with mine, mine is also in very nice condition, enjoy;);

I sold one this past spring that was pretty new, only had a few tanks through it. I regret selling it because so far it has been my favorite saw that I have owned, even over the 9010 that replaced it and the 044 I sold. You will love that saw, it will out cut a bigger saw a lot of the time.

Yeah, thats right!

You should have seen the day a friend was bragging on his MS460 and I told him I had a old Craftsman that would whip it. He laughed.

I then had to pull out the Craftsman 5.2 and humble him. :ices_rofl: He wasnt laughing anymore.

I would have to add another vote for the 5200 Poulan. The 4200 isn't to shabby either.;)

:cheers:
Gregg,

The funny thing is that a Craftsman 5.2 with a 30" SN bar only cost $7 more than a 4.2 with a 24" SN in an old Craftsman ad one of you fine Poulan nuts posted in the Poulan thread a while ago. Went from something like $367.99 to $374.99. Who the heck wouldn't spend the extra $7 for another ci and 6" more bar length???

My first Mac 250. I paid $25 for it at a car show swap meet. It has great original paint, so I don't think it has many hours on it. The first couple years I owned it I had a 24" Mac bar and old style semi chisel chain on it, not very impressive. Then I thought I'd try it at a local saw contest at a county fair. Put on a roller bar and 3/8 chisel with a 9 tooth, electronic ignition module, and it beats many stock 372's, and 440's, in a 10" cant. It won't do it with an 8 tooth, it needs to be lugged down in a 10X10, and the 9 tooth does it. Other than that, it's heavy, and numbs your hands in minutes, which doesn't surprise me.
Scott

Scott that 250 is STOCK other than the electronic ign module, 3/8-9 rim, and the short RN bar and 3/8" chisel chain? I have a 16" RN bar that I'm gonna try on my my S-250 with a 3/8-9 rim and a loop of 3/8" chisel. There's a fellow near me with a S-44 that I can get cheaply. I may grab that saw and do the same thing to if I need to run in an 80cc class. That'd be fun.:D

Aaron, I posted that add and while its not a good scan and hard to read I do know they were sold power head only with the 5.2 being $499.99 and the 4.2 at $459.99.

24" bars with chain were $79.99 and 30" were $99.99.

Sounds like alot back then dont it?

Aaron, I posted that add and while its not a good scan and hard to read I do know they were sold power head only with the 5.2 being $499.99 and the 4.2 at $459.99.

24" bars with chain were $79.99 and 30" were $99.99.

Sounds like alot back then dont it?

Mark it was a different ad, posted by somebody else. Might have been Chris J, Mitch W, or Gregg. He said he'd "finally" gotten it from a guy that had traded him two 5.2's at a GTG. I'll repost it tonight whe I have time.

Mark it was a different ad, posted by somebody else. Might have been Chris J, Mitch W, or Gregg. He said he'd "finally" gotten it from a guy that had traded him two 5.2's at a GTG. I'll repost it tonight whe I have time.

Ad

attachment.php

I sold one this past spring that was pretty new, only had a few tanks through it. I regret selling it because so far it has been my favorite saw that I have owned, even over the 9010 that replaced it and the 044 I sold. You will love that saw, it will out cut a bigger saw a lot of the time.

It is the saw you sold.. I made some dawgs for it to replace the ground down ones, but not knowing what they should look like, I fear I went to far. Looks mean though. I have dial-up so picture posting is beyond my patience at the moment.,

It is the saw you sold.. I made some dawgs for it to replace the ground down ones, but not knowing what they should look like, I fear I went to far. Looks mean though. I have dial-up so picture posting is beyond my patience at the moment.,

That is great. I was wondering if it was a member here who got it. I am glad that a member got it, be nice to know that it will be taken care of. That thing is awesome. You will like it a lot. Hope you like it a lot.

That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks for posting that again Mitch.

You got to love it when Chainsaws go on sale. :hmm3grin2orange:

Ain't that the truth Mark. That's a STEEP discount on the 5.2. I'll bet they were sitting on an overstock of 'em, and discounted the beasts to move 'em. How many guys actually went looking for a 5.2ci professional saw (with a 30" bar) at Sears? Whoever did, sure got a killer deal if they took advantage of that sale.

Yes that was a big markdown from the original price. Back in 1980 the original $600 with a B/C was whole lot of money and your right, I'll bet most Sears shoppers would not have been there looking for a pro saw that big so its not a streatch to think that there sales of them might have turned a little stagnet.

Last edited:
My dad bought the 2.3 Sears saw about that time to cut holes for registers for heating/AC vents on remote job sites where we didn't have electrical power. I wished he'd have went for one of the larger "pro" models, I might have a different opinion of Poulan saws these days if he had.

Very few of those were sold in this area, never saw either one of them at a yard or farm sale in all these years. Husqvarna was starting to get a foothold on the market about that time, and Stihls were pretty popular as well. They were obsoleting earlier designs like the Mac 610, 10-10 and big-old Homelites, etc. I bought my 480CD new in 1980, and still have it today. Every time I run it I'm thankful for the many years of service it has provided with next to zero problems.

I guess it could fall into the catagory of "saws that surprise the hell out of you"....because every time I use it, I can't believe it still starts, and runs as good as or better than it did when it was new!........Cliff

218779d1327151602-husqvarna-480-001-jpg

My brother bought at PM850 in 1980. I still remember him showing up with that monster, horizontal cylinder with a compression release, all metal case, etc? It was one of the loudest stock saws I've ever ran. MOUNTAINS of low end torque, but it wore you slam out to run it. He only kept it about six months, and bought a couple of Husqvarna's instead. Pretty sure he got a 480CD and a 161SE, and still has and uses them both today......Cliff

I still think the irony is that Sears was in 1980 selling a Pro 4.2 and 5.2 saw that was as good or better then the one you guys are bringing up. Seems strange today dont it?

Seems this fact was what was getting the Poulan dealers up in arms and is what lead to the the Poulan Pro line coming out years later.

That is great. I was wondering if it was a member here who got it. I am glad that a member got it, be nice to know that it will be taken care of. That thing is awesome. You will like it a lot. Hope you like it a lot.
Here she is now, if I did this right. 28 mins. from start of upload. Man, I hate this dial-up. Like I said, I may have went overboard, but I can always take the grinder to them and tone them down a bit. :)View attachment 218895

Back