Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sumac gets a lot of guys around here still.

I read (wikipedia) that the urusiol in poison sumac was considered a bit more irritating to most people than the other "poison" plants. Chemically, it has shorter molecular chains than the urusiol in other plants, so there are subtle differences in it's antigenicity. It doesn't grow in our area.

I can get the syringes free. I talked to a coworker tonight that's diabetic and he said he would bring me a few. Getting the epinephrine seems to be the tricky part. A 30 mill bottle is $6 but you need a script.

It is exactly the same stuff that the veterinarian uses. You do need to be best buds with the dog doc, because giving some for human consumption is a license violation. It would be the sort of thing that you would need to steal with a wink & a nod.

Youse guys weren't paying attention. This post was a test. Look again; needs a response.

I put on Bull Frog...
Was looking for pics when it turns red

Virginia creeper turns a very similar shade of red, but the leaflets are 5, palmately compound. Very easy to distinguish from poison ivy.

5598-004-08808ACE.jpg

Fall colors? Got you covered:

Poison oak, eastern.
topu1220164.jpg

Poison ivy:
9-poison-ivy.jpg

A dirty rotten variable plant, you cannot count on the fall color for identification.
images

68_fall_foliage_leaves.jpg

This one's kind of pretty:
poison-ivy-crazy-leaf.jpg

virginia-creeper10oct04.jpg

What's wrong with these pictures?

whoa... that's a good deal. The envious part of my human nature tells me to try and one-up you but the other parts just say way to go! I never liked that part so im just going to say way to go and move along quietly.

(oh, and please consider all the lamps you could be making from that stash. Just sayin.)

No lamps from oak. Too coarse is the grain. I occasionally cut some trailer planks with it. We cut down plenty of black walnut; I'd use that first for lamps or furniture. We get an occasional cherry tree, and quite a few red maples, too. Junipers, pecan (rarely), lots of other stuff too. I even took out a beautiful chestnut tree a couple of years ago. No beech trees.

In fact, I think I have two blown over maples to pick up at a cemetery. There will be plenty of highly figured burl in those trees. It'll just go to the landfill like the rest.

If'n you guys want some, just let me know. We will load it onto your truck for free.

Oh damn! Is Kansas City too far to drive?

Kansas City grows trees like weeds. Zillions of varieties, they grow fast, but get blown down or rotten all the time.

Nobody scrounges for firewood around here.
1. There aren't that many firewood burners around here. I'm not sure why.
2. If anybody wants firewood, all they have to do is call a tree service and ask for it.
Hell, I would deliver the logs for free if it isn't too far. I generally have to pay somebody for disposal of the logs.

I had never gotten poison whatever until this year and I got it twice while golfing. It was so bad I had to go in for steroid cream. Luckily it was contained to my legs and feet. But I don't know if there is a worse itch than having your dress shoes on and your foot blowing up while you are with customers. I think if I could have hit it with 20 grit and a belt sander I would have!

No lamps from oak. Too coarse is the grain. I occasionally cut some trailer planks with it. We cut down plenty of black walnut; I'd use that first for lamps or furniture. We get an occasional cherry tree, and quite a few red maples, too. Junipers, pecan (rarely), lots of other stuff too. I even took out a beautiful chestnut tree a couple of years ago. No beech trees.

In fact, I think I have two blown over maples to pick up at a cemetery. There will be plenty of highly figured burl in those trees. It'll just go to the landfill like the rest.

If'n you guys want some, just let me know. We will load it onto your truck for free.

Kansas City grows trees like weeds. Zillions of varieties, they grow fast, but get blown down or rotten all the time.

2. If anybody wants firewood, all they have to do is call a tree service and ask for it.
Hell, I would deliver the logs for free if it isn't too far. I generally have to pay somebody for disposal of the logs.
It would be great to have logs delivered for free. The jerk offs I'm dealing with the past two days told the customer I would clear brush even after I talked to both parties and told them I'd cut and haul the big stuff when the brush is out of the way. She had a state inspector there today who jumped me the second I got out of the truck. I told him I'm not associated with the tree company and I'll get back in the truck and leave the wood there if he didn't back off. He left me alone after that.

ah the famous 660 build, I don't have the time I thought I would to be honest, I used the jug on my other 660 to keep it running so as soon as I find another jug I'll get on it. What's wrong with the 038

Lol! Owner number 3 with no time! Is that saw cursed!?

038 had a wandering idle, an air leak I assume, and fuel peeing over my fingers as I squeezed the trigger to lock it and start the saw, carb trouble I assume. I bought a huztl carb to fit and a carb kit to rebuild the tilatson. I also thought the saw was floppy and guessed it needed av mounts and the air leak might be a rip in the intake boot as a result of excess flop. So started stripping and cleaning. Found a few problems, knackered tank breather, dead av mount, but intake boot boot fine... So now assume the leak is crank shaft seals. More stripping and cleaning... More huztl parts bought ... Now need time to rebuild and hope it runs better.

It would be great to have logs delivered for free. The jerk offs I'm dealing with the past two days told the customer I would clear brush even after I talked to both parties and told them I'd cut and haul the big stuff when the brush is out of the way. She had a state inspector there today who jumped me the second I got out of the truck. I told him I'm not associated with the tree company and I'll get back in the truck and leave the wood there if he didn't back off. He left me alone after that.

You can do that when you're in the position of "I don't need the wood".

Who was the inspector and who was he working for?

no lamps from oak you say? grain too course you say? sounds like a good next project!
fumed oak lamps anyone? taking preorders now.

kidding aside, I enjoyed your post. If I was close enough Id take you up on the offer for some of that KC wood.

scrounge on!

Lol! Owner number 3 with no time! Is that saw cursed!?

038 had a wandering idle, an air leak I assume, and fuel peeing over my fingers as I squeezed the trigger to lock it and start the saw, carb trouble I assume. I bought a huztl carb to fit and a carb kit to rebuild the tilatson. I also thought the saw was floppy and guessed it needed av mounts and the air leak might be a rip in the intake boot as a result of excess flop. So started stripping and cleaning. Found a few problems, knackered tank breather, dead av mount, but intake boot boot fine... So now assume the leak is crank shaft seals. More stripping and cleaning... More huztl parts bought ... Now need time to rebuild and hope it runs better.

Pressure test it under water: look for leaks.

Or...vacuum test it with an oil dropper handy. When the oil sucks in, you got your leak.

You can do that when you're in the position of "I don't need the wood".
It is nice. I might get one more load tomorrow then I'm done.

Who was the inspector and who was he working for?
Dont know don't care. I didn't ask for ID. Don't jump in my face the second I get out of the truck. Probably just some jackass trying to force me to do something I didn't agree to. It didn't work.

Thanks fellas.

Tell me, when your bride and your kids independently buy you the same birthday card, do you think they are trying to tell you something?

View attachment 671680

Maybe they're trying to say that I'm not communicative enough? Maybe I should speak more? Help me out here, guys.

Like the guys have "Chimed" in already , eat more beans and toot to the family more than you already do ;)

Those damned tree services; You just can't count on them.

It is nice. I might get one more load tomorrow then I'm done.

Dont know don't care. I didn't ask for ID. Don't jump in my face the second I get out of the truck. Probably just some jackass trying to force me to do something I didn't agree to. It didn't work.
No wonder why you didn't call me....

Those damned tree services; You just can't count on them.
It's not all of them. Iv had other tree guys drop entire grapple trucks of oak beside my firewood racks and tell me I'll bring you more next time were in the area. These guys signed paperwork that said they were to remove all wood from the sight and tried to get away with leaving everything laying around and moving on to the next job.

Back