Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this was a first. Moved my chain grinders from the unheated shed to the heated shop today. Got them plugged in and threw a chain on one and kicked it on. Phone rang so I stepped away to answer and head a loud pop and then the grinder get really loud.

View attachment 1045281
Yeah, it’s one of those things that we get complacent about. Like gasoline.

I had it happen with a very small wheel, and I have been shown dents in high shop ceilings where other people had big wheels explode. It happens, and it can be nasty when it does.

Little details like:
- having the grinder guards in place;
- standing to the side when starting the grinder;
- doing the ‘ring test’ when replacing grinding wheels;
- and wearing safety glasses / goggles;
really can make a difference.

Philbert

https://www.fiskars.com/en-gb/gardening/info/norden-axes
I put this in the splitting tool thread earlier but it's so unusual I feel I should bring it to a wider audience. Behold! The bastard child of a wooden handle and a fiskars axe!
A bastard child indeed... Before I started the video I was thinking, could it be? A Fiskars head with an eye in it, and a complete wooden handle? So yeah, disappointed :) . I wonder how strong the handle actually is, Fiskars has a good reputation, but still...

Was looking for something to use in my Rhino shelter other than making a wood floor . Thought about turf mats and came across these . Looks like they strip the tread off of used tractor tires . Not a bad price for the item but shipping may be astronomical at over 1000 lbs going to call them tomorrow or Tuesday
914F79F8-66A6-4F16-84C4-B4F930DD1FDD.jpeg
https://rubberinnovations.com/heavy_duty_rubber_mats

This morning the boy decided to work on the 17yr old toaster oven. The door wouldn't stay closed on its own, he pulled all the screws off the back and couldn't get it loose. I came and took off 4 screws from just inside the unit and it all came right apart lol. Then we found the problem, a broken spring. It was about 3/16-1/4" and about 2" long with a hook on one end and then a long straight piece(about 2") on the other with a hook on the end, it was broke right where the long piece connected to the first wrap of the spiral(spring part). I just bent a loop into each side of the broken area and connected them, since it's always under slight tension it doesn't really need to be a one piece spring. Got it all back together and it works perfectly :happybanana:. Not sure where I could have gotten a spring for it, but I'm sure I would have spent more time looking online for one than it took to rig the old one up as we did. If it works for another yr, I'll be more than pleased with it. Need to buy a backup just like it if we can find one, it's been a nice kitchen tool :).

3 times a day seems a little excessive :innocent:.
I miss Larry too, think about him and some of the other great guys we've lost thru the yrs often.
I'm pretty sure it's his sister, maybe his SIL, but I think it's his sister, is Shirley Shahan, one of my teen age Idols. She was the first female to win an NHRA pro event. She raced Chevy's, then switched to SS/Hemi Plymouth's. She finally raced for AMC driving AMX's. Last time I talked to Larry he said she was still doing shows, selling vintage AMC parts. Her nick name back in the racing days was the "Drag-On-Lady".

Remember Yooper. He was on MyTractorForum also, under the same name. The fall that Covid broke out I had a big private gun show to attend in Mich, and it turned out he had a big car show the same weekend, not far from where I was. I was going to meet him at the car show and spend the day with him. First his show got cancelled, then mine. I knew he had been sick for a while. It was a year or so before I heard he had passed.

It might sound a little morbid, but I went to a Military Academy when I was a kid, and the "Friends' of Charlotte Hall", keep what they call "Taps" . It's a list of all the Cadets that have passed. The school closed in 76, so there aren't too many of us left.

Was looking for something to use in my Rhino shelter other than making a wood floor . Thought about turf mats and came across these . Looks like they strip the tread off of used tractor tires . Not a bad price for the item but shipping may be astronomical at over 1000 lbs going to call them tomorrow or Tuesday
View attachment 1045404
https://rubberinnovations.com/heavy_duty_rubber_mats
go to a place, that sells new threads for any tractor that uses flat treads. should be able to buy worn out ones cheap

I did the same here. Took a 60 x 120 flat spot and invested some money in a bunch of stone so I would have a decent place to park trailers , stack wood etc.
Expensive but worth it!! Since then I've been graveling paths to different shelters we walk to for feeding chores with the goal being to not have to wear muck boots every time we go outside!!
Smart move and well worth it in the end.

Doesn't probably qualify as a scrounge as I didn't bring it to the house yet but I split most of that white oak that I drug up the hill with the poor man's gator last week.
The wood lot is pretty full and I won't need it this year so I'll stack it there in the woods and retrieve it later.
That was the first time I pulled the splitter up the big hill with the pmg and it was a little exciting!!! Could have used individual rear brakes as the front tires were off the ground most of the time!! Reckon I'll be adding some front weight .

Latest posts

Back