Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'll tell ya. Ive hauled a lot of rounds out of the woods with my Honda Rancher! Several hundred cord over the past 18 years! 30°- 40° incline is a pretty steep grade IMOP! Power won't be the issue. Its getting the power to the ground and not tearing up your haul trails is the issue. Im not exactly sure what you mean by "very rough" bouldery stumpy and rooted up ground. Ive towed many a OVERLOAD down somewhat steeper terrain. Going up when OVERLOADED is a different story! Some of the ground Ive hauled was to steep to stop once I started down the hill. Once I broke the crest headed down. I was committed. Need to make sure you have a good safe trail if you don't have the ability to stop. If you break traction when going up steeper grade. Your going to have two choices "if" the quad dosent start sliding backwards out of control even with the breaks locked up on all fours. (Witch can be very dangerous!) Your going to either have to lighten your OVERLOAD, or off load it completely, turn around at the top of the hill, reOVERLOAD on your way back down and start over. If you do start sliding backwards? You have two options. Bail, or try ridding it out! I suggest BAILING! Like I said. I've been wheeler logging firewood fir a long time. I know the limits of a four wheeler on steeper grade. Traction and momentum is key! If you can't get the power to the ground. It doesn't matter if you have 10hp or 1000hp. That's all I can really tell ya on my end bud. The Honda 420 Rancher is a proven, reliable and tough machine! Check out the "War Wagon Chronicles" thread fir more pictures of being properly "OVERLOADED" and remember,...View attachment 1046453View attachment 1046454 ...You ain't loaded unless you're "OVERLOADED!!!"😉
Need a wider axle 😆 did it twist the tounge or f up the hitch?

Well gentleman, my C&B was delivered yesterday from Homer AK to Kodiak on the ferry. I towed it home yesterday evening.👍 Now all I need is a bigger truck with a standard transmission, a skid steer or tractor, a commercial splitter, business license, insurance,...🤣😉View attachment 1046455View attachment 1046456

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!
Where's the spare tire at on that trailer 🤔

Well gentleman, my C&B was delivered yesterday from Homer AK to Kodiak on the ferry. I towed it home yesterday evening.👍 Now all I need is a bigger truck with a standard transmission, a skid steer or tractor, a commercial splitter, business license, insurance,...🤣😉View attachment 1046455View attachment 1046456

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!
Sweet!! Now go get that thing overloaded. :laughing:

Bought
Didn't mean anything at all. I like my 20 year old Bombardier and my home made arch:

No sir not at all. I wasn't saying you were and I definitely mean no disrespect! Im just saying a person must know their limits. Wether logging match sticks with match box cars and hot wheels, or high lead rigging the steep and haul'n with off highway log trucks down the mountain. One MUST know their own personal limits! That's all I was saying Sir.

I really like that skidding arch of yours too by the way! 👍 Good on ya!

Need a wider axle 😆 did it twist the tounge or f up the hitch?
Twisted the tongue. Nothing a big pipe wrench with a cheater couldn't fix! 😉 Thats the only OVERLOAD if ever flopped on its side believe it or not, a d that was on flat ground. Before the big burn. I harvested much more broken up ground. Now I pretty much just stick to the flats. 👍

My trailer about the same size as your. 6x10,10K. Doesn't look overloaded but dang close with green red oak in it.
View attachment 1046483
Nice! Yeah, I'm really looking forward to using mine. All in due time. Like I mentioned earlier, I need to get all the rest of the proper equipment first though to make it pay! 👍 I'm finally going into business fir myself fir a change! Been a slave to someone else's grind all my life. Its time fir a change. Now I can be a slave to me own grind! 🤣👍😉

My dad had a skidding arch and we moved a lot of logs with the old Foreman 450 we had. Best wheeler ever built in my opinion.

I’m fixing it talk with DNR today about a logging claim. Wanting to get back into the firewood business, but the right way, not poaching like I did as a teen
I hear that! All of it!👍 We're in the same boat you and I.🤣

Belt drive is also prone to leaving you stranded if the belt gets wet. There is no way I would own a belt drive machine for my main machine.
With what brand of machine? I've NEVER had it happen even one time with my Grizzly, deep water and all.

And Yamaha doesn't use the belt for the clutch either, on a Yamaha the belt stays tensioned all the time, it's for the transmission only.

SR

Those vintage sleds are really cool! Any of you guys seen the old Evinrude sleds?
Yea they had about 300 snowmobiles at the show. Evinrude moto ski John Deere you name it. Some guys were sensitive to pics being taken. So I only got a few. Didn't see any Hondas unfortunately or any McCulloch or Stihl sleds.

Those vintage sleds are really cool! Any of you guys seen the old Evinrude sleds?
Yep, had 2 when I was a kid. Couldn't tell you the models without looking at some pics - one had a square front with a compartment/seatback and one was much more sleek (but not by today's standards.) Late 60's, maybe early 70's models. They are long gone though.

Yea they had about 300 snowmobiles at the show. Evinrude moto ski John Deere you name it. Some guys were sensitive to pics being taken. So I only got a few. Didn't see any Hondas unfortunately or any McCulloch or Stihl sleds.
I've never heard of someone taking something to a show for people to look at but not want pics taken. Seems odd to me.

I've never heard of someone taking something to a show for people to look at but not want pics taken. Seems odd to me.
Yea people are weird up here man. But when I go to iosco county everyone is way different. I drive an extra 15 mins or more to go to tawas as opposed to West branch when I can.

Latest posts

Back