Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day fellers,

Anyone been out on the scrounge? Apart from me that is. Went out to the farm today, there were a couple of broken off peppermint limbs that I knew of.

View attachment 1065406

View attachment 1065407

In the background you can see a couple more which also made their acquaintance with the 241.

View attachment 1065408

The bigger end of those ones was getting a bit punky and with a few termites but the outer was dry and the interior will dry out given a few weeks so I chucked that in the ute and will burn as is when we get a cold spell.

View attachment 1065409

The better stuff I took to the widow of one of my cricket clubmates.

View attachment 1065410

Scrounge on :rock:
Looking good! Please be careful not to upset the other stuff to scrounging ratio. We need to keep everything greased and sized to run this thread properly.

Anyone in favor of term limits on termites say aye. This may or may not refer to insects that attack wood as well as the insects that have infected governments around the world.
Interesting! I was thinking about asking him if their termites are on the deadly insect list.

Most things are good... so long as you don't bring up ammo reloading, bears, grease guns, or daylight savings time. Might be better just talking politics and religion. Was wondering where you've been.
I got bored trying to catch up and finding you guys were getting further and further ahead! Plus it was all guns, ammo and hunting which isn't my thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bothered by that talk and as a non American I find it an interesting insight into something that is a big part of your country, but I don't understand or wish to understand the details of guns and ammo so it was uninteresting to me. I just drifted away for a few days. But it's back into scrounge season. Time for cowboy, logger Nate, Kodiak, and others to post pics of amazing countryside!
Here is still a little cool, we had a bit of snow again in the week, just a dusting though, but it's a little cooler than average, so I reckon overall it will balance out the very mild start to winter. I've told my various tree guys I'm back in full scrounge mode with space to take logs again but so far just a car load of odds and sods. Mostly lime apparently, (not the citrus fruit tree) which isn't good really, but I took it.
With the insane energy prices here as a result of the war in Ukraine competition for logs is up. However most urban scroungers don't have 70cc saw so the tree guys know I have a capacity that most don't have and hopefully I'll get a big scrounge or two, as I have over the last few years

Happens here too. Essendon Airport in Melbourne was opened in 1921 in what was then the countryside, miles away from the centre of Melbourne. Now, suburbia has spread past there and residents complain about the noise. :angry:
I belonged to a gun club over 25 years ago that was way out in the sticks. A developer bought this huge track of land behind the range and built all these nice expensive houses there. The first thing these snobs did was to start complaining about all the shooting going on. They made claims that bullets were flying over their houses. I use to shoot there during the weekdays when it was empty and people were at work. I always got a visit by the local police because one of these people called to make claims that somebody was going crazy at the range shooting off hundreds of rounds. Yup, that was me laying down 200 - 300 rounds on most visits. That range is still open today. These people should have checked out the surrounding area before moving in there. Not to mention that to get to their houses they have to drive by a big sign that says '________ Gun Range.

Today's scrounge consisted of this rare find on the beach. An Alaska Yellow Cedar or Yellow Cypress. The wood itself is not so rare of find. It's finding one on the beach that hasn't been all shook and cracked to s**t! From smashing on the rocks and sand from beach to beach. I had to take four feet off each end of this log to get out of the shake. Yellow cedar is a very heavy and dense conifer and makes fir great firewood as well as beautiful lumber. Very tight growth rings. This one was at least 120 years old when it died.

I shall mill this beach scrounge with my Granberg!
View attachment 1065393

Notice all the black in the shake cracks? That's sand and I payed h**l by rocking my chain while buck'n rounds off each end. Just to get out of the shake and back into sound wood!
View attachment 1065400
View attachment 1065405

This species of cedar has a smell like no other wood. It is very pleasant and aromatic! High dollar wood. I've heard these trees can sell upwards of around 50k if tall enough and with good scale!
View attachment 1065395
That’s more highly valuable than highly valuable black walnut!

Maybe we could export all the dips and drips to China and let them deal with the problem.
I say send them on a vacation to the norks.

Most of the ones that are really soft, also believe in the NY, CA (take yer choice if that means calif or canada, not much difference, as far as the goobermints go) and ccp systems of goobermint. They should all go for a "3 day cruise" to nork to visit the ILL family. They will find it is like the Hotel Calif., you can never check out.

And then, good riddance. The semi-soft will either become tough Mericans, or die in the coming hard times.

The soft ones also don't realize that as soon as the goobermint is done needing useful idiots, it will come for them.

Well, it's better than the stock one I killed anyways.... though I thought mine was actually pretty snappy for a stock china saw.
Hopefully you can get it the way you want it in the end.
It actually has decent power, maybe my expectations are just a little too high in that regard. The popping is annoying, I'll figure it out eventually.
That's bad a**! Those are some hop look'n saws! Good on ya! It can definitely be fun tip'n tress with a small saw! At least I think it can! 👍
They bring the fun back to cutting small trees. A 20" cedar missing the top, would be boring to cut with the 500 or even 400. However, it's suddenly fun again with a 40cc saw. Top handles are even more fun, especially when climbing and brushing out a limby conifer. Getting the limbs to swing and do cool stuff never gets old.
Today's scrounge consisted of this rare find on the beach. An Alaska Yellow Cedar or Yellow Cypress. The wood itself is not so rare of find. It's finding one on the beach that hasn't been all shook and cracked to s**t! From smashing on the rocks and sand from beach to beach. I had to take four feet off each end of this log to get out of the shake. Yellow cedar is a very heavy and dense conifer and makes fir great firewood as well as beautiful lumber. Very tight growth rings. This one was at least 120 years old when it died.

I shall mill this beach scrounge with my Granberg!
View attachment 1065393

Notice all the black in the shake cracks? That's sand and I payed h**l by rocking my chain while buck'n rounds off each end. Just to get out of the shake and back into sound wood!
View attachment 1065400
View attachment 1065405

This species of cedar has a smell like no other wood. It is very pleasant and aromatic! High dollar wood. I've heard these trees can sell upwards of around 50k if tall enough and with good scale!
View attachment 1065395

Nice find! Interesting that the heartwood is almost indistinguishable from the sapwood. Any plans for the lumber after you mill it?

Hope you can work those issues out bro. So far no issues with mine cept the gasket. The little top handle neotec is balls. Love it.

MS251C cost me $75 without dustView attachment 1065390
Good score.

Finally feeling a bit better . My bronchitis turned into pneumonia. Not fun with bad ribs still have a bad cough but at least I can sleep a few hours at a time . Monday through Friday I averaged an hour or two of sleep a night . Haven’t ventured far from the couch at all . Still have to sleep sitting up .

Hopefully be able to go out and plow this week . I’m in the 2-3 foot area 89F375F9-D0A8-424C-A911-958C87732B16.jpeg

Finally feeling a bit better . My bronchitis turned into pneumonia. Not fun with bad ribs still have a bad cough but at least I can sleep a few hours at a time . Monday through Friday I averaged an hour or two of sleep a night . Haven’t ventured far from the couch at all . Still have to sleep sitting up .

Hopefully be able to go out and plow this week . I’m in the 2-3 foot area View attachment 1065503
Good to hear you're on the mend buddy.
Take it as slow as you can.

Being sick sux!

Hopefully be able to go out and plow this week . I’m in the 2-3 foot area View attachment 1065503
Hope you get back to normal soon.

Latest posts

Back