Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did some rototilling today, here's MY limit when tilling my raised gardens,

Resized-20230718-145111-S.jpg

SR

Brought this down on Sunday. I went up to meet the mechanic and work on the loader, and drug the trailer along too. Took the air compressor and pressure washer just in case, didn’t need them. I had already started unloading it, that’s why the back corner is empty.

View attachment 1098425

This is a WHOLE lot lighter than a load of rounds (cut to length, but not split yet). Occasionally I’ll have someone tell me I should have split the wood (I usually don’t), you get more in that way. I tell them nope, you never get it stacked as tight as it was before being split. The reason we’re splitting before hauling down the hill now is so we don’t have to load heavy rounds twice, and so we’re not splitting wood in the hot valley. We’re up in the trees doing it.

This is a WHOLE lot lighter than a load of rounds (cut to length, but not split yet). Occasionally I’ll have someone tell me I should have split the wood (I usually don’t), you get more in that way. I tell them nope, you never get it stacked as tight as it was before being split. The reason we’re splitting before hauling down the hill now is so we don’t have to load heavy rounds twice, and so we’re not splitting wood in the hot valley. We’re up in the trees doing it.
Sounds like you are working smarter not harder. Do you haul your saws in the toolbox on the front of the trailer?

I've had an Everlast I mig 140 for about 7 years now, been a good little mig. Definitely huts above it's class, only down side is it needs a 30 amp breaker to run full peg, wish they would have made it a 110/220 volt machine. Anything that can't handle I'll grab my brother's Lincoln 250 ranger, or take rhe project to my dad's place. He has a 300amp thermodyne predator gas powered welder. It's a beast of a stick welder. Gas hog though. He picked up a 250amp Eastwood mig welder last year its been surprisingly good so far. Whenever the shop is complete I'll be looking for something in the 250amp range myself, and I'll surely not be buying a Miller or Lincoln.
I have had Lincoln welders since 1978 and never had one fail on me.

I think I bought my Powcon 200 about 1980, it's a stick and mig both, although I have rarely stick welded with it.

At the time they had a Powcon 300 too, but the 200 is all I've ever needed.

SR
I never heard of that brand. I also have 2 stick welders. One is a Lincoln AC/DC 225 tombstone that I recently bought for $50 to have over in the barn and an old Craftsman 220 that I have in my garage.

I never heard of that brand. I also have 2 stick welders. One is a Lincoln AC/DC 225 tombstone that I recently bought for $50 to have over in the barn and an old Craftsman 220 that I have in my garage.
When I was a kid, there was an old man about 2 miles from here. Us kids (my brother and me) would walk there and ask him to weld on our bicycle projects. Anyway, when we turned about 8 or 9, he said you have been watching me weld, now you get down there and weld it yourself. First my brother, then me....that's how we learned to weld.

Anyway, at some point he bought a "fancy" new welder and sold my dad his old welder for 50 bucks, (back in the 60's) it was older than the hills back then, and I've never seen any writing on it. Dad scratched on it the settings he wanted and that's how it's always been used. It's FULL of copper and it takes one heck of a man to lift it, I'm guessing it will still be going when we are all gone!

Anyway, if I stick weld, that's the one I use.

SR

I did a little bit (of very ugly) welding in high school. One of my longtime friends welds for a living and is very inexpensive when he repairs things on his schedule so I just let him do everything.

Usually it’s 10-20 bucks for the welding and I throw in a 50 dollar gift card to the best burger joint in town as a thank you.

Why would I want to drink that nasty krap? Smells terrible, and I don‘t need the drug it contains. :buttkick:
Coffee is definitely one of those things you either love or hate. I would get tickled at my dad and the grief he would give me over coffee...... As he was starting his second gallon of tea for the day. Lol.
I will say I used to despise coffee for some of the same reasons you mentioned and I was in my late 20's before I realized not all coffee smelled tasted like rot gut gas station coffee. That stuff should be outlawed!

When I was a kid, there was an old man about 2 miles from here. Us kids (my brother and me) would walk there and ask him to weld on our bicycle projects. Anyway, when we turned about 8 or 9, he said you have been watching me weld, now you get down there and weld it yourself. First my brother, then me....that's how we learned to weld.

Anyway, at some point he bought a "fancy" new welder and sold my dad his old welder for 50 bucks, (back in the 60's) it was older than the hills back then, and I've never seen any writing on it. Dad scratched on it the settings he wanted and that's how it's always been used. It's FULL of copper and it takes one heck of a man to lift it, I'm guessing it will still be going when we are all gone!

Anyway, if I stick weld, that's the one I use.

SR
Sounds like your stick welder and my farmer friend each have a very old welder. He still has his grandfather's old welder that weighs a lot. It has a crank wheel on the front to adjust the amps. I have no idea what brand it is. The numbers are all gone on the slide gauge for the amps too. I used that in the Spring to weld up one of his attachments. It still works fine. That was when they made things to last.

I think I bought my Powcon 200 about 1980, it's a stick and mig both, although I have rarely stick welded with it.

At the time they had a Powcon 300 too, but the 200 is all I've ever needed.

SR
I saw one of the 300sm welders for sale locally. Guy wants $560 for it.

Back