Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We dressed it quickly and stuffed it with a bag of ice and brought it right to the taxidermist. We got into our stand at about 7 (both of us), we heard it, then got the opportunity to shoot at 8:15. I think it smelled us but could not figure out where we were. It would go briskly for 20 or 30 yds, then stop in thick stuff. I waited till it got close and then waited till it started moving out of the thick stuff and shot it when it was on the move in the clear and I could see where I was shooting it.

The bullet was less than 1/2" behind the leg and punched right through. She went across in front of us and did a semi-circle. I was going to shoot it a 2nd time, but when I saw the exit hole, I knew she was done. She stopped and slowly went down; we waited a few minutes, and we went down from our stand. She never made a sound.

Luckily, the rain did not start till later. In the late afternoon we went back to the stand but with the rain you could not hear anything. I'm not sure exactly how many different bears we have on our trail cams, but I know that we have at least one that is smaller than this one, and one that is bigger than this one.

This one had a great coat and should be good for eating.
Awesome!

Hi guys. Duck hunting opener here today. Went out with three kids this morning and we ended up with three ducks. Raining and not much was flying. My son picked up a real nice greater Canada goose later on and a couple grouse. I hadn’t spent the night at the cabin since last fall so I had a lot of little projects to get done around the yard and cabin today.

Mike, Approximately where is the "cabin" Not thinking that there are many bears in the Brewster area, but then I'm a ways from there near Syracuse.
My dad, Mustangs brother, was up in Syracuse today. He was a speaker at some engineering convention. Small world.

The WMU is 4w for the cabin. I live in 3m across the River from Uncle Mike.

First night for me. My daughter asked me to put on the heat 71720825340__54FD528F-5818-469E-A084-84B38DDC5CE6.jpeg

@Cowboy254. Woke up early and watched AFL. Looks like the Lions won. Don't have a clue on the rules but fun to watch.

The umpires don't seem to have a clue about the rules sometimes either :rare2: .

My team - Melbourne - got rolled in the semi finals in the last minute of the game. Brisbane Lions vs Collingwood Magpies in the grand final. I'm going for Brisbane, Collingwood is the team that everyone except Collingwood supporters hate. And their supporters are the worst - complete ferals with barely a full set of teeth between them.

My cabin is near Hancock in the NW portion of the Catskills. I have 50 acres on Mtn top, off the grid, overlooking the Cannonsville Reservoir.

We are seeing more bear than deer this year (for the first time), and almost NO small deer.

Never wanted to hunt bear, but feel I have to reduce the numbers. They take out lots of fawns (more than coyote).

What does bear taste like? Never really thought of bears being worth eating before joining the scrounging forum. You can't eat drop bears 🤢

Congrats on the bear @MustangMike.:numberone: One of my old customers stopped by last week that lives a mile up the road and said she as out filling her 3 bird feeders about 2 weeks ago. Filled 2 and was filling the 3rd and heard a noise. Turned around and there was a bear eating out of the one she had just filled. No woods around just cornfields and only about 25 yards from our busy road. I do have a bear tag and we can shoot a bear in our deer archery season.

Do you ever throw out the vanguard chains , before sharpening?
Fixed :laughing: .
Oregon/Husky/government sure screwed that one up :nofunny:.
Stihl screwed this one up too, I hate stihl flippys, on the other hand, husky made them right.
This was after I had just spent time cleaning inside the hole and the cap up :rare2:, at least it wasn't down my leg this time! Other than the dang flippys on this saw, it's an awesome little ripper.
Screen Shot 2023-09-24 at 7.23.51 AM.png

Do you clean ur chains , before sharpening so ur wheels don’t get loaded up, ?
I did not clean these up prior to grinding. Afterwards I did read that they should be cleaned of the oil. I should have read up on it first. I will clean them in the future.

Started with this yesterday at 11:15.
Screen Shot 2023-09-24 at 7.23.03 AM.png
Then came back to see the saw pissing the table :nofunny:.
Refilled the oil and made a cut. Not sure if this is a humble or some Collingwood, Australia cut, seems a bit odd to me :laugh:.
Screen Shot 2023-09-24 at 7.24.10 AM.png
Nice to bring the brush to the bonfire like this :blob2:. 11:28
Screen Shot 2023-09-24 at 7.24.26 AM.png
All diced up and bucked the stuff over 2-3" into firewood 11:40.
Screen Shot 2023-09-24 at 7.24.52 AM.png

Then I had to leave for a bit, the second session was a bit later in the afternoon, cleaned up the bottom 18' of a nice sized black locust. Got the area all graded out nice for now and scored two rocks over 2' each when I dug the stump out. I'll probably trash the area a bit when I pull the locust top out and more of the debris in there, but at least it will have some time to settle into the stump hole before refinishing the grade.
Screen Shot 2023-09-24 at 7.25.07 AM.png
And proof there was at least one partial bucket of firewood cut.
Screen Shot 2023-09-24 at 8.51.58 AM.png

I did not clean these up prior to grinding. Afterwards I did read that they should be cleaned of the oil. I should have read up on it first. I will clean them in the future.
Yea it would definitely help ur wheels from getting loaded up , then you start over heating ur cutters if it’s not clean wheel , 👍

Yea it would definitely help ur wheels from getting loaded up , then you start over heating ur cutters if it’s not clean wheel , 👍
I bought my grinding wheels at Tractor Supply. They were on closeout for $5.99 down from $16.99. They had 8 in stock on clearance. I had a $20 reward on file. I bought all 8 of them for less than the price of 2 at the regular price and using my rewards.

I bought my grinding wheels at Tractor Supply. They were on closeout for $5.99 down from $16.99. They had 8 in stock on clearance. I had a $20 reward on file. I bought all 8 of them for less than the price of 2 at the regular price and using my rewards.
Get one of these for dressing, Diamond Stone Dresser, Diamond Coated Grinding Disc Wheel Stone Dresser Correct Tool Dressing Bench Grinder 45 x 100mm https://a.co/d/cCvmd5H

Back