Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 1123752
I see we surpassed 5000! Been in Quebec for 3 days and I'm not even trying to catch up. Felled a dead pine while I was there. It was a bad leaner and was leaning towards the bunkie I was staying in. Lots of trees around, a couple buildings and a real narrow window for success. We discussed the risks and went for it. I needed to swing it about 45° from the lean direction to lay it where I felt it needed to go. A gust of wind during the back cut reduced it to about 42° despite the rope crew and it came down between these smaller trees instead of to the right. However it came down good enough in the general direction no harm no foul. Everyone was tickled pink especially my cottage owner friend who cooked me a steak.
Nothing like the smell of cut pine.

A good day to work inside on some projects. Damn rain slowing me down again on getting rid of my wood pile.
Rain in Mass has been ridiculous, killed off most of the garden. I had a lucky week in August and got 4.5 cord in the shed dodging rain as i cut. 2 weeks until my next vacation, may be cutting in the rain if this keeps up.

Rain in Mass has been ridiculous, killed off most of the garden. I had a lucky week in August and got 4.5 cord in the shed dodging rain as i cut. 2 weeks until my next vacation, may be cutting in the rain if this keeps up.
Worcester Airport says 54" for the year before this last storm. Our garden did very well even with all the rain. Our peppers didn't like it. The squash, pumpkins and tomatoes went crazy.

Went up to my place in WV for four days. There was an early doe season, but it was so warm I didn't feel like hunting. I drug half a top of a down White Oak out into my drive and cut and split it. Then I finished cutting up the big White Oak log I started a couple weeks ago. My driveway is a mile and a half long. My neighbor had the drive posted right where his property starts. I knew something was wrong. Finally saw him and asked what was up? Then I asked if he put his Woodland Band Mill in the barn. He said, Nope, someone stole it. He and his 20 year old son went in half and half on the mill. The son and his girl friend were able to back up to it and push it on a trailer. he heard them and yelled he was calling the "Law", but they were long gone when the cops got there. They said since his son paid half of it, there was nothing they could do. He would have to sue him in Civil Court. He said he was just going to buy another one, the next size bigger. It's a shame, the boy has/had potential. Then he got hooked up with this wild girl with all kinds of Police Records. I think the best part of the trip was hooking up the trailer with a cord of White Oak, and taking a pic or two as we left.
U3D3EbR.jpg

VhHwu9o.jpg

LBdUOwB.jpg

Went up to my place in WV for four days. There was an early doe season, but it was so warm I didn't feel like hunting. I drug half a top of a down White Oak out into my drive and cut and split it. Then I finished cutting up the big White Oak log I started a couple weeks ago. My driveway is a mile and a half long. My neighbor had the drive posted right where his property starts. I knew something was wrong. Finally saw him and asked what was up? Then I asked if he put his Woodland Band Mill in the barn. He said, Nope, someone stole it. He and his 20 year old son went in half and half on the mill. The son and his girl friend were able to back up to it and push it on a trailer. he heard them and yelled he was calling the "Law", but they were long gone when the cops got there. They said since his son paid half of it, there was nothing they could do. He would have to sue him in Civil Court. He said he was just going to buy another one, the next size bigger. It's a shame, the boy has/had potential. Then he got hooked up with this wild girl with all kinds of Police Records. I think the best part of the trip was hooking up the trailer with a cord of White Oak, and taking a pic or two as we left.
U3D3EbR.jpg

VhHwu9o.jpg

LBdUOwB.jpg
That’s horrible!!!! That poor guy, I hope someone teaches his son a lesson with their fists before he learns it from a gun

I'm still live and kicking, hope y'all are good !

I don't think you ever saw the Spruce tree I posted in your honor ... it is the only one on my 50 acres, so I cleared around it to ensure it would survive.

I also have one white pine, but it is too close to the old cabin and the heat from the roof is killing the top of it, and I had 2 Hemlock (close to one another), but the deer rubbed and killed one of them so only one is left, and it is very small. Those are the only evergreens on my property.

I posted it a few months ago, but I'll post it again for you as I don't remember exactly when I posted it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230723_065719297.jpg
    IMG_20230723_065719297.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
I'm pleased with how the roofs over my stands came out, so I will share the details with anyone who is interested, as it is kind of quick and easy.

The roof is quite in the rain, waterproof and the perfect overhang for my 5' x 5' stands.

I purchased two synthetic pieces of siding (imitates T-111) at HD for $44 each, and a roll of 6" X 10' flashing for $11. Unlike plywood, this siding is more durable, waterproof, and I don't think the porcupines will eat it. (but I did but barriers on the posts and I hang the ladders just in case). The siding comes primed (and I left it that way for now) but will likely stain it in the spring (and the oak, which was built "green".

I braced the siding with oak so it would not warp. The two 5'+ cross pieces are angle cut to match the roof angle (on the table saw). One is on the peak, the other is 2'8" lower. The two side posts are 5'8" high, and the center posts make the roof top 6'8" high. This gives you enough room to stand and shoot the bow if you desire. Then I just added 3 vertical 2' white oak pieces. It is all put together with 3" deck screws for the oak-to-oak joints (1 1/4" outdoor screws were used through the siding).

About the fastest and easiest way I could think of to do it. No messing with shingles, no noisy metal. So far, so good. I may add collar ties front and back just to make it stronger against the wind.

Latest posts

Back