Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recent scrounge.. Answered an ad for free wood. First trip I took a Subaru with a 5 by 8 trailer. When I found out what he had I said "I'll be back".. He loaded it with a grapple while I cut the root balls and bucked a bit. He is clearing a lot.. Probably do it again, if it ever stops raining
I REALLY like how you were able to back right up to your splitting area & just buck the logs up while on the trailer, roll them off & keep on cuttin'

Good morning guys

It’s taken a month and a half, but I finally got all the crap in my yard put away last night. Snow is expected this weekend and I didn’t want to have to deal with snowy, frozen junk everywhere.

With two of my boys now driving age and living with me almost full time, a lot of motorized stuff appears at my house randomly. Plus I like to collect junk as well.

I’m not gonna show you what the inside of the other buildings look like but at least everything is inside.

View attachment 1122607View attachment 1122608View attachment 1122609
View attachment 1122611
Is there a Johnson Sea-Horse in there? How corroded are the points on that baby?

I milled 6 pieces from yesterday's log, and 6 more from today's log, and I can still mill one more if I need it.

I'll have to process what I have and see how it works out.

Unfortunately, yesterday's log had a crack in the middle that I did not see, and neither log was real straight, so I will have to be creative!
Question:
When milling, how often do you touch up your milling chain? I borrowed a coworker's alaskan mill & 395XP to mill a big ash log & felt like I was sharpening every other pass.
Sorry- no pics. It was a really big log - 32" in diameter & 8' long.
I cut the first board too thick - 16/4 and it weighed over 200#.

Question:
When milling, how often do you touch up your milling chain? I borrowed a coworker's alaskan mill & 395XP to mill a big ash log & felt like I was sharpening every other pass.
When I milled the ash in my avatar, an ash about 28"-29" across and 10.5 feet long, I resharpened every other pass... Except for the pass when I tried to saw through an embedded J hook that formerly held a clothesline pully. On that pass I needed a new chain as a bunch of teeth broke off. 😉

When I milled the ash in my avatar, an ash about 28"-29" across and 10.5 feet long, I resharpened every other pass... Except for the pass when I tried to saw through an embedded J hook that formerly held a clothesline pully. On that pass I needed a new chains as a bunch of teeth broke off. 😉
I actually *had* pics of it somewhere - the slabs were stunning.

Question:
When I mill, I usually have 2 ported 660s set up with 36" B+C square filed. I most often mill Oak (various), Hickory, Ash and Black Cherry.

I'll run one saw till I think the chain has dulled, then switch to the other saw.

I generally touch up the chain after 2 tanks of fuel ... and (unfortunately) 660s like to eat fuel! But they do the work and are rugged saws.

I used to mill everything 2" thick but have recently started milling a lot more 5/4" thick.

An Oak 2" by 24"+ X 8' slab is also very heavy, but they make nice tables and benches. I often make 1/2 round edges into benches also.

Some of my milled wood creations:

Attachments

• IMG_20200831_170458695.jpg
    IMG_20200831_170458695.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200117_152838128.jpg
    IMG_20200117_152838128.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230903_113617142_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230903_113617142_HDR.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231029_134741999_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231029_134741999_HDR.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
Decided since it was 35* this morning, I'd better get the rest of the round i bucked up and stacked split. Then migrate some of the wood shed splits into the house. Prolly aught to get a move on with getting a roof on the shop too.... no time to do much of anything, and I'm sure I'm gonna get roped into taking the kids trick or treat this evening. 🙄 I'll get a bunch don't before that, so all good I guess. Truthfully I'd rather go to Walmart and buy the $50.00 worth of candy and stay home. People irritate me...

Decided since it was 35* this morning, I'd better get the rest of the round i bucked up and stacked split. Then migrate some of the wood shed splits into the house. Prolly aught to get a move on with getting a roof on the shop too.... no time to do much of anything, and I'm sure I'm gonna get roped into taking the kids trick or treat this evening. 🙄 I'll get a bunch don't before that, so all good I guess. Truthfully I'd rather go to Walmart and buy the $50.00 worth of candy and stay home. People irritate me...
I was thinking of you today, spent another $92 bucks on the metal for the barn :envy: :envy: . When I ordered the metal he wrote down 40" for the siding above the wainscoting on the sidewalls, so I had to pay for the other 8" on 32 pieces and a bag of screws.
But, I saved a bunch of money when I went to the capitol(Lansing), and bought all the electrical outlets and wiring for the barn :happy:. Well, sort of, it will at least work for a while for some of it😃. Just need to chain them all together:innocent:.
Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 6.35.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-10-31 at 6.36.49 PM.png

Hi guys. Not the best day here. My daughters were involved in a car accident this morning. It’s hard for me not to be mad about the situation but I’m just trying to focus on the fact that they were able to walk away from the accident.

Got things done at work and came home and watched a movie and had pizza with the dogs.

Hug your loved ones cause you never know what might happen

Pumpkin spice donuts in the feeder?
Hi guys. Not the best day here. My daughters were involved in a car accident this morning. It’s hard for me not to be mad about the situation but I’m just trying to focus on the fact that they were able to walk away from the accident.

Got things done at work and came home and watched a movie and had pizza with the dogs.

Glad they are ok!

I remember once after wrapping up one of my dads hot rods, thought for sure he was gonna kill me. He gave me a big hug and told me he was just happy that I was alive. Then whispered, tomorrow you’re dead

G'day fellers,

I went out to Mitch's again this morning to get after the big candlebark but the access track was dug-up due to some water pipes getting put under it. But then the Ghost of Scrounges Past came to me and reminded me that I stihl had some scrounge at Will's place that I hadn't picked up. Fortunately, Will's place is next door. Here it was.

20231101_100933.jpg

Got most of it into the ute

20231101_103714.jpg

Then I cut up some rounds from the branch material that looked ok

20231101_112209.jpg

I also cut up the other stem of this bifurcated broad leaf peppermint for picking up next time

20231101_115813.jpg

Then I loaded up much of the small stuff from this tree for bonfire material.

20231101_112220.jpg

Scrounge on :rock:

G'day fellers,

I went out to Mitch's again this morning to get after the big candlebark but the access track was dug-up due to some water pipes getting put under it. But then the Ghost of Scrounges Past came to me and reminded me that I stihl had some scrounge at Will's place that I hadn't picked up. Fortunately, Will's place is next door. Here it was.

View attachment 1124293

Got most of it into the ute

View attachment 1124294

Then I cut up some rounds from the branch material that looked ok

View attachment 1124295

I also cut up the other stem of this bifurcated broad leaf peppermint for picking up next time

View attachment 1124296

Then I loaded up much of the small stuff from this tree for bonfire material.

View attachment 1124297

Scrounge on :rock:
RTB! Gotta love it 😁

Back