Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Age unfortunately gets us all. My dad is 74, and last year I gave him a 372xp after he ran mine and liked the power. Everytime I went over he would complain about that saw not starting or running. It never gave me any trouble, and I finally swapped him a 346xp for it and he’s been happy as a clam. That 372xp has run absolutely flawless for me since and always starts 2nd or third pull.

42x36
https://goclogger.com/pants/men/ they have a size for you,

Age unfortunately gets us all. My dad is 74, and last year I gave him a 372xp after he ran mine and liked the power. Everytime I went over he would complain about that saw not starting or running. It never gave me any trouble, and I finally swapped him a 346xp for it and he’s been happy as a clam. That 372xp has run absolutely flawless for me since and always starts 2nd or third pull.

42x36
https://goclogger.com/clogger-defenderpro-gen2-tough-ul-mens-chainsaw-pants/My best guess would be a 2xl and tall. There's a fitment chart. I got a large, regular and it's just like a 36x32.

Haven't ever even seen their chaps. Do like the pants tho. They fit this short, fat bald guy just fine. :dancing:
Same material as their tech light chaps. Which I have a pair of and absolutely hate them. Sweat your butt off even in mild temps.

When I left today, there is probably four more pick up truck loads. All the big wood is left. He told me the guys yesterday won’t be picking those up, I asked them if I could return with my splitting ax. He said whatever it takes, I think the Fisker’s is going to make the next trip with me.

This trip I cleaned up all the uglies that the other guys didn’t want. I figure it’s easiest way to get myself invited back.IMG_4640.jpegIMG_4641.jpeg

When I left today, there is probably four more pick up truck loads. All the big wood is left. He told me the guys yesterday won’t be picking those up, I asked them if I could return with my splitting ax. He said whatever it takes, I think the Fisker’s is going to make the next trip with me.

This trip I cleaned up all the uglies that the other guys didn’t want. I figure it’s easiest way to get myself invited back.View attachment 1124645View attachment 1124646
Yep, thays how I get most of my wood, the big and ugly stuff no one else wants to deal with. Even my logging buddy save me the big nasty stuff and keeps the nice 16-20" stuff for himself and selling to customers. Well, everything veneer grade goes to the mill.

Same material as their tech light chaps. Which I have a pair of and absolutely hate them. Sweat your butt off even in mild temps.
Clogger ‘ZERO’s’ are the lightest, coolest chainsaw protective pants and chaps i have worn.

Posted some reviews on them here, a few years back.

But i am usually happy with ‘standard’ chaps, unless it is tropical type heat and humidity.

Philbert

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/clogger-chainsaw-chaps-evaluation.341572/
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/clogger-zero-pants.345910/

Clogger ‘ZERO’s’ are the lightest, coolest chainsaw protective pants and chaps i have worn.

Posted some reviews on them here, a few years back.

But i am usually happy with ‘standard’ chaps, unless it is tropical type heat and humidity.

Philbert

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/clogger-chainsaw-chaps-evaluation.341572/
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/clogger-zero-pants.345910/
I was refuring to the husqy chaps. I've since moved onto clogger pants and am quite happy with them.

Time for a smaller saw. You did well going this far with that saw. My deceased father in law moved to a much lighter saw when he turned 80 because the heavier one he had was too hard to start. I'm 70 and dread the day when that happens to me.
It's coming for all of us. We just have to do what we can while we can and coach the youngins when we can't any longer. Simple as that.
I can't out split the teenagers any longer at least not for very long. Stamina is half what it use to be.

I was trying to convince my wife to make another run there tonight…..

She told me to go Saturday morning. I have a charity event tomorrow for Orange County Cancer Center. I’m blessed to have some cool bosses that give back to the community. This is one organization we all love to donate to as we all have been affected from this horrible disease. So that event is gonna keep me from going back tomorrow

Fiskars is already in the back of my truck

IMG_4646.jpeg

It's coming for all of us. We just have to do what we can while we can and coach the youngins when we can't any longer. Simple as that.
I can't out split the teenagers any longer at least not for very long. Stamina is half what it use to be.
100% correct on the Stamina comment

Ever since the Rona, I still have strength, but nowhere near the stamina. I was about GASSED OUT after loading the truck the last two days.

Embarrassing!!

I used to be able to go full throttle for 8hrs, now I’m a chump

My pop told me to hit the treadmill to get my wind back, I should really give it a honest try

Ever since the Rona, I still have strength, but nowhere near the stamina. I was about GASSED OUT after loading the truck the last two days.

Embarrassing!!

My pop told me to hit the treadmill to get my wind back, I should really give it a honest try

Embarrassing!!

Go hike some trails in the woods will hills , with a pack on some weight in it , for a few miles that will get you cardio, without being bored on a dreadmill lol , I’ hike a fair amount, and been riding a mountain bike for over 35 years, use to race back in the day , that’s what keeps me going other than cutting and splitting wood , 👍

Well, I decided
Go hike some trails in the woods will hills , with a pack on some weight in it , for a few miles that will get you cardio, without being bored on a dreadmill lol , I’ hike a fair amount, and been riding a mountain bike for over 35 years, use to race back in the day , that’s what keeps me going other than cutting and splitting wood , 👍
i actually decided, I’m gonna start splitting with the Fiskars again. When I gas out, I’ll fire up the splitter. That way I get some production out of my time instead of watching hunting highlights like I usually do when on that treadmill

Just got done busting up about a dozen rounds and ran out of light

I found a pair of husqvarna at a reasonable price when I was looking. They don't put up a fuss when I only use Shihl saws with them. :drinkingcoffee:
I have these
https://www.husqvarna.com/ca-en/personal-protective-equipment/technical-chainsaw-pant/And
https://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/...84-74548/Function-Universal-Safety-Pants.aspx
The Husqvarna have better pockets than the Stihl but I don't like the inner lining on the Husky's in the summer , it gives me a feeling of damp on my legs and the Stihls don't .
Not a problem in the winter with long underwear .
Cloggers are on my wish list.

Well, I decided

i actually decided, I’m gonna start splitting with the Fiskars again. When I gas out, I’ll fire up the splitter. That way I get some production out of my time instead of watching hunting highlights like I usually do when on that treadmill

Just got done busting up about a dozen rounds and ran out of light
There ya go,👍

I hope I don't have to start downsizing saws for about 10 years. I agree with you on that old age hitting us all sooner or later. So far I can keep up with the best when it comes to using my Super Split splitter. My friend that helps me out in exchange for firewood always asks how the hell do you do that so fast. I always reply that practice makes it perfect. Today he left with a load of wood and returned an hour later. I had already filled in that same area with all newly split firewood. I shipped out 5 cord today. In between pickups I split at least another cord. Tomorrow will be another big day on the splitter. I think I have 10 cord split ready to go and approximately close to 30 cord more to split. I think I have 2 - 3 cord laying in the woods waiting for the ground to dry out or freeze over.

Latest posts

Back