Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first computer, which I did tax returns on starting in 1983, was a Kaypro 10, which had a hard drive, 5.25" floppys, a 6" green phosphorus screen, and ran on CPM (which was very efficient). I still have it, and it still works. It also had a built-in numeric keypad.

When my kids were teenagers and used to have parties here, I would set it up and put "aliens" or "pong" on it, and they would gather around like it was a Model T Ford!

Before turning it off, you have to remember to type in the "safety" command, or you will ruin the hard drive when you move it. You also had to hit "calculate" after you entered the information on the tax return and wait a few seconds to see the results!

Ironically, none of my subsequent computers still work! Go figure!

My first computer, which I did tax returns on starting in 1983, was a Kaypro 10, which had a hard drive, 5.25" floppys, a 6" green phosphorus screen, and ran on CPM (which was very efficient). I still have it, and it still works. It also had a built-in numeric keypad.

When my kids were teenagers and used to have parties here, I would set it up and put "aliens" or "pong" on it, and they would gather around like it was a Model T Ford!

Before turning it off, you have to remember to type in the "safety" command, or you will ruin the hard drive when you move it. You also had to hit "calculate" after you entered the information on the tax return and wait a few seconds to see the results!

Ironically, none of my subsequent computers still work! Go figure!
I got a TI-99 around the same time. Might have been '82. Code and data were stored on cassette tapes. I wrote BASIC code to do a time series analysis of Federal Reserve check float around which I wrote my senior seminar in economics paper. It got the job done at the time... Used some integrated apps on the job after that (industry and while college teaching) and then got an IBM PS2 Model 70-20. By the time I got the necessary peripherals I had $10K in the computer. It had a 120 meg hard drive! Then deemed nearly impossible to fill! LOL

Just spent about 2 hours running various antivirus and system utilities against the machine... Gave it a good clean up. Let's see what happens! Tired of messing with computers. It was fun playing with IBM 360s 50 years ago when I was in HS and with the early PCs... even taught CIS/MIS and Business related college courses back in the day. Now... just want the stuff to work!

I've only have problems on this site which made me suspicious about the ads/popups. SADLY, the McAfee site advisor just alerted me to problems on this site... This while I was typing this comment!
Okay, good luck. I asked the first question to get an answer to help guide us to fix the issue. :drinkingcoffee:

I got a TI-99 around the same time. Might have been '82. Code and data were stored on cassette tapes. I wrote BASIC code to do a time series analysis of Federal Reserve check float around which I wrote my senior seminar in economics paper. It got the job done at the time... Used some integrated apps on the job after that (industry and while college teaching) and then got an IBM PS2 Model 70-20. By the time I got the necessary peripherals I had $10K in the computer. It had a 120 meg hard drive! Then deemed nearly impossible to fill! LOL
Mine only had 10 Meg, but with CPM that was plenty! It was divided between an A drive for programs and a B drive for data. Also had 10 user groups ... games would be on one, word processing in another, etc.

My college computer class involved writing a program and getting it to run by punching oaktag cards that would run through the mainframe computer ... completely useless and never used it again!

Unfortunately it is in many State Laws and i think on the Federal form for gun purchases. Probably why Hunter Biden threw his illegally purchased pistol away.
You may want to get your story straight on that second part, but there wasn't anything about limiting the rights of anyone (including felons) in any state, much like limiting speech. Nor was there any directive about a federal form for tracking such rights.

I saw that one, pretty funny. It was sad though, that many fell for the plot and did malicious acts, it didn't need to be that way at all. That being said, when you have agents of our government provoking people, what's to be expected.
Epoch Times has a great deeper dive into it all that is now free, the second part of it you need an account to watch.

Mine only had 10 Meg, but with CPM that was plenty! It was divided between an A drive for programs and a B drive for data. Also had 10 user groups ... games would be on one, word processing in another, etc.

My college computer class involved writing a program and getting it to run by punching oaktag cards that would run through the mainframe computer ... completely useless and never used it again!
When I was in HS I was in the IBM sponsored Explorer Post. We had access to an IBM 360 mainframe.... Fortran and APL. The only, almost, fully developed application I worked on was a simple database that would retrieve answers to questions revolving around one's birthdate... things like your zodiac sign (this was the early 70s after all 😉).

Fortran was all punch card based and you got one run per week... a painfully slow process as one misplaced punctuation mark cost you a week... APL was terminal based. It used what was basically an IBM Selectric typewriter with a different ball. It was a symbolic language... characters like inverted deltas. The connection to the mainframe was via a modem with an acoustic coupler (160 baud as I recall). Using a telephone, you dialed the number for the host modem and stuck the phone's handset in the acoustic coupler when you heard a tone. It was dumb... you never knew if the connection was still connected! That was space age stuff! My father told me the first modems he used at IBM were in wooden boxes... LOL.

Snow tires went on the skidsteer and "old" Prius today, hasn't been a need for them so far. 'Sposed to get "something" Tuesday and the rest of the week is finally looking like winter weather. Not that warm and dry has been a big bother. Allison is Jones'n for snow to CC ski.
View attachment 1142217
Nice rubber ,👍Lol 😆

planted squash in an area where I spread a nice layer of horse poop, GREAT crop of butternut squash, making another "pumpkin" pie tonight.
Last years pumpkins were just thrown on the manure pile, they volunteer grew an awesome crop of pumpkins this year they didn't revert, several weighed 40-50 lbs each.
i get my squash at grocery. zukes n summer. too iffy with vine borer probs here! besides, i prefer a bit stronger taste!
1704651826240.png

Latest posts

Back